Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass-No Weight Lost

I had Gastric Bypass on August 8th and since the day I came home (August 10th) I have not lost 1 lbs. I get my Water and Protein in. I have walked every day aside from 1. I have tried to read everything to figure out why, but I can't even find anyone else this has happened to. Did it really not work? Is that even possible? I have been doing everything I can on my end so why is this happening? I seriously don't think I can face anyone if after all this I still can't succeed.

1 hour ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

I had Gastric Bypass on August 8th and since the day I came home (August 10th) I have not lost 1 lbs. I get my Water and Protein in. I have walked every day aside from 1. I have tried to read everything to figure out why, but I can't even find anyone else this has happened to. Did it really not work? Is that even possible? I have been doing everything I can on my end so why is this happening? I seriously don't think I can face anyone if after all this I still can't succeed.

Firstly, Give yourself time to heal, you can be retaining fluids still from the surgery...

What's your totals look like for calorie, Protein and Water intakes?

How's the evacuation going? Are you blocked up or going normally?

What Matt Z said....just push liquids, maybe take a stool softener. Early on Constipation is an issue for most of us.

3 hours ago, Sosewsue61 said:

What Matt Z said....just push liquids, maybe take a stool softener. Early on Constipation is an issue for most of us.

I am definitely not having that problem so I think a stool softener would be pretty disastrous.

6 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Firstly, Give yourself time to heal, you can be retaining fluids still from the surgery...

What's your totals look like for calorie, Protein and Water intakes?

How's the evacuation going? Are you blocked up or going normally?

The goal I was given is 70/70 I am reaching it. Usually liquids I am hitting 80oz. I haven't had any issues with evacuations I am regular and have been consistent. Maybe it is just healing, but no one else has had this issue. I am trying not to compare, but this is making me nervous.

42 minutes ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

The goal I was given is 70/70 I am reaching it. Usually liquids I am hitting 80oz. I haven't had any issues with evacuations I am regular and have been consistent. Maybe it is just healing, but no one else has had this issue. I am trying not to compare, but this is making me nervous.

Honestly at this point, would you think it's maybe your scale? Have you done any troubleshooting with it, new batteries or recalibrating or putting it in a different place? When is your post-op follow-up? You're about two weeks out so I would imagine the fluids and swelling from surgery would be gone by now resulting in you seeing at least 5 pounds of loss from surgery day over that amount of time. I'm so sorry you're going through this!

3 minutes ago, Little Green said:

Honestly at this point, would you think it's maybe your scale? Have you done any troubleshooting with it, new batteries or recalibrating or putting it in a different place? When is your post-op follow-up? You're about two weeks out so I would imagine the fluids and swelling from surgery would be gone by now resulting in you seeing at least 5 pounds of loss from surgery day over that amount of time. I'm so sorry you're going through this!

I had my post op appointment and my scale matched theirs, it was accurate throughout the WL trial too, so it is definitely not the scale. I don't know why, maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

6 minutes ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

I had my post op appointment and my scale matched theirs, it was accurate throughout the WL trial too, so it is definitely not the scale. I don't know why, maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

So you had lost no weight according to your doctor's scale as well??? What did they say to that??

I would give it another week or so and then demand an endoscopy to ensure that my pouch was correctly sized and all my plumbing is functioning correctly.

2 minutes ago, Little Green said:

So you had lost no weight according to your doctor's scale as well??? What did they say to that??

I would give it another week or so and then demand an endoscopy to ensure that my pouch was correctly sized and all my plumbing is functioning correctly.

They're going by my weight before the liquid diet and bowel prep and I did lose weight in the hospital. So to them I have lost 13 lbs, but I lost 8 lbs from the pre op appt to surgey date and 5 in the hospital, but none since I have been home. I am 100% certain the plumbing is functioning correctly, but I thought maybe the pouch size was the issue also! I feel restriction when I eat, but I don't think it's where its supposed to be. I don't know maybe I am crazy, but drinking, I am walking I would think I'd be losing.

13 hours ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

Try to work on getting your Water up to 128oz and see if that helps. You stated you were eating, are you physically eating or are you still on purees? I was on purees for a full month post op. Then to soft solids for 2 weeks, then I was cleared for everything except raw veggies for 2 weeks and at the 6 week post op mark I was cleared for all foods.

Are you tracking your calorie intake by chance?

2 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Try to work on getting your Water up to 128oz and see if that helps. You stated you were eating, are you physically eating or are you still on purees? I was on purees for a full month post op. Then to soft solids for 2 weeks, then I was cleared for everything except raw veggies for 2 weeks and at the 6 week post op mark I was cleared for all foods.

Are you tracking your calorie intake by chance?

Ok, I will most definitely try that. I was released from the hospital on soft foods so I have scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, canned chicken or tuna, yogurt, things like that and then my Protein Shakes. I use baritastic to track everything. Calories range from 500-700. Maybe my calorie intake is to high, but its pretty consistent with the paperwork the dietitian gave me.

2 minutes ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

Ok, I will most definitely try that. I was released from the hospital on soft foods so I have scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, canned chicken or tuna, yogurt, things like that and then my Protein Shakes. I use baritastic to track everything. Calories range from 500-700. Maybe my calorie intake is to high, but its pretty consistent with the paperwork the dietitian gave me.

It's possible it's too low actually, there are studies showing that lower calorie ranges can trigger the bodies conservation mode. Are you exercising as well? The Water I'm conformable advising you attempt to increase, the calories, make sure you speak with your nutritionist about before attempting.

2 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

It's possible it's too low actually, there are studies showing that lower calorie ranges can trigger the bodies conservation mode. Are you exercising as well? The Water I'm conformable advising you attempt to increase, the calories, make sure you speak with your nutritionist about before attempting.

I have only been cleared for walking, but I walk at least 30 minutes a day sometimes I walk in the morning and at night, it depends. Sometimes I am just too tired at night, but I walk 30 minutes every morning.

13 minutes ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

I have only been cleared for walking, but I walk at least 30 minutes a day sometimes I walk in the morning and at night, it depends. Sometimes I am just too tired at night, but I walk 30 minutes every morning.

Ok then it's not like you are burning your whole days calories in 1 sitting and then being in a deficit for the rest of your BMR. https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bmr at 34, 5 foot 8, 254 lbs, you are burning 1920 (average) calories a day, just for existing. So, subtracting out the 700 calories and not even bothering to count your walking, you are burning around 1220 calories already. That *MIGHT* be too much too quick?

1 minute ago, Matt Z said:

Ok then it's not like you are burning your whole days calories in 1 sitting and then being in a deficit for the rest of your BMR. https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bmr at 34, 5 foot 8, 254 lbs, you are burning 1920 (average) calories a day, just for existing. So, subtracting out the 700 calories and not even bothering to count your walking, you are burning around 1220 calories already. That *MIGHT* be too much too quick?

Sounds possible. My body thinks it is starving so it goes in to desert survival mode.