Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass-No Weight Lost



Recommended Posts

I had Gastric Bypass on August 8th and since the day I came home (August 10th) I have not lost 1 lbs. I get my Water and Protein in. I have walked every day aside from 1. I have tried to read everything to figure out why, but I can't even find anyone else this has happened to. Did it really not work? Is that even possible? I have been doing everything I can on my end so why is this happening? I seriously don't think I can face anyone if after all this I still can't succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

I had Gastric Bypass on August 8th and since the day I came home (August 10th) I have not lost 1 lbs. I get my Water and Protein in. I have walked every day aside from 1. I have tried to read everything to figure out why, but I can't even find anyone else this has happened to. Did it really not work? Is that even possible? I have been doing everything I can on my end so why is this happening? I seriously don't think I can face anyone if after all this I still can't succeed.

Firstly, Give yourself time to heal, you can be retaining fluids still from the surgery...

What's your totals look like for calorie, Protein and Water intakes?

How's the evacuation going? Are you blocked up or going normally?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Matt Z said....just push liquids, maybe take a stool softener. Early on constipation is an issue for most of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sosewsue61 said:

What Matt Z said....just push liquids, maybe take a stool softener. Early on constipation is an issue for most of us.

I am definitely not having that problem so I think a stool softener would be pretty disastrous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Firstly, Give yourself time to heal, you can be retaining fluids still from the surgery...

What's your totals look like for calorie, Protein and Water intakes?

How's the evacuation going? Are you blocked up or going normally?

The goal I was given is 70/70 I am reaching it. Usually liquids I am hitting 80oz. I haven't had any issues with evacuations I am regular and have been consistent. Maybe it is just healing, but no one else has had this issue. I am trying not to compare, but this is making me nervous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

The goal I was given is 70/70 I am reaching it. Usually liquids I am hitting 80oz. I haven't had any issues with evacuations I am regular and have been consistent. Maybe it is just healing, but no one else has had this issue. I am trying not to compare, but this is making me nervous.

Honestly at this point, would you think it's maybe your scale? Have you done any troubleshooting with it, new batteries or recalibrating or putting it in a different place? When is your post-op follow-up? You're about two weeks out so I would imagine the fluids and swelling from surgery would be gone by now resulting in you seeing at least 5 pounds of loss from surgery day over that amount of time. I'm so sorry you're going through this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Little Green said:

Honestly at this point, would you think it's maybe your scale? Have you done any troubleshooting with it, new batteries or recalibrating or putting it in a different place? When is your post-op follow-up? You're about two weeks out so I would imagine the fluids and swelling from surgery would be gone by now resulting in you seeing at least 5 pounds of loss from surgery day over that amount of time. I'm so sorry you're going through this!

I had my post op appointment and my scale matched theirs, it was accurate throughout the WL trial too, so it is definitely not the scale. I don't know why, maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

I had my post op appointment and my scale matched theirs, it was accurate throughout the WL trial too, so it is definitely not the scale. I don't know why, maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

So you had lost no weight according to your doctor's scale as well??? What did they say to that??

I would give it another week or so and then demand an endoscopy to ensure that my pouch was correctly sized and all my plumbing is functioning correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Little Green said:

So you had lost no weight according to your doctor's scale as well??? What did they say to that??

I would give it another week or so and then demand an endoscopy to ensure that my pouch was correctly sized and all my plumbing is functioning correctly.

They're going by my weight before the liquid diet and bowel prep and I did lose weight in the hospital. So to them I have lost 13 lbs, but I lost 8 lbs from the pre op appt to surgey date and 5 in the hospital, but none since I have been home. I am 100% certain the plumbing is functioning correctly, but I thought maybe the pouch size was the issue also! I feel restriction when I eat, but I don't think it's where its supposed to be. I don't know maybe I am crazy, but drinking, I am walking I would think I'd be losing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

The goal I was given is 70/70 I am reaching it. Usually liquids I am hitting 80oz. I haven't had any issues with evacuations I am regular and have been consistent. Maybe it is just healing, but no one else has had this issue. I am trying not to compare, but this is making me nervous.

Try to work on getting your Water up to 128oz and see if that helps. You stated you were eating, are you physically eating or are you still on purees? I was on purees for a full month post op. Then to soft solids for 2 weeks, then I was cleared for everything except raw veggies for 2 weeks and at the 6 week post op mark I was cleared for all foods.

Are you tracking your calorie intake by chance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Try to work on getting your Water up to 128oz and see if that helps. You stated you were eating, are you physically eating or are you still on purees? I was on purees for a full month post op. Then to soft solids for 2 weeks, then I was cleared for everything except raw veggies for 2 weeks and at the 6 week post op mark I was cleared for all foods.

Are you tracking your calorie intake by chance?

Ok, I will most definitely try that. I was released from the hospital on soft foods so I have scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, canned chicken or tuna, yogurt, things like that and then my Protein Shakes. I use baritastic to track everything. Calories range from 500-700. Maybe my calorie intake is to high, but its pretty consistent with the paperwork the dietitian gave me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

Ok, I will most definitely try that. I was released from the hospital on soft foods so I have scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, canned chicken or tuna, yogurt, things like that and then my Protein Shakes. I use baritastic to track everything. Calories range from 500-700. Maybe my calorie intake is to high, but its pretty consistent with the paperwork the dietitian gave me.

It's possible it's too low actually, there are studies showing that lower calorie ranges can trigger the bodies conservation mode. Are you exercising as well? The Water I'm conformable advising you attempt to increase, the calories, make sure you speak with your nutritionist about before attempting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

It's possible it's too low actually, there are studies showing that lower calorie ranges can trigger the bodies conservation mode. Are you exercising as well? The Water I'm conformable advising you attempt to increase, the calories, make sure you speak with your nutritionist about before attempting.

I have only been cleared for walking, but I walk at least 30 minutes a day sometimes I walk in the morning and at night, it depends. Sometimes I am just too tired at night, but I walk 30 minutes every morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

I have only been cleared for walking, but I walk at least 30 minutes a day sometimes I walk in the morning and at night, it depends. Sometimes I am just too tired at night, but I walk 30 minutes every morning.

Ok then it's not like you are burning your whole days calories in 1 sitting and then being in a deficit for the rest of your BMR. https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bmr at 34, 5 foot 8, 254 lbs, you are burning 1920 (average) calories a day, just for existing. So, subtracting out the 700 calories and not even bothering to count your walking, you are burning around 1220 calories already. That *MIGHT* be too much too quick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Matt Z said:

Ok then it's not like you are burning your whole days calories in 1 sitting and then being in a deficit for the rest of your BMR. https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bmr at 34, 5 foot 8, 254 lbs, you are burning 1920 (average) calories a day, just for existing. So, subtracting out the 700 calories and not even bothering to count your walking, you are burning around 1220 calories already. That *MIGHT* be too much too quick?

Sounds possible. My body thinks it is starving so it goes in to desert survival mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Mousiana

      Hate thinking about foods I used to love... Burgers & wings. Gotta stay focused. 😤
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Arabesque

      Went to see the Star Wars movie yesterday. (Glad I waited as no one else was in the cinema for the midday session - yes!) Hadn’t been to the cinema for a few months and OMG I suffered the most terrible butt pain.  So uncomfortable. Started after 30 mins. Was in the premium cinema so grabbed a cushion to sit on but it didn’t help. Ended up sitting sideways in the chair, stretched out on an ottoman. Soooo super glad no one else was there. Sometimes I do miss my old butt fat cushioning... but not really. 
      · 1 reply
      1. Panda333

        ha..I have that issue too.....miss my built in pillow!

    • Hollyh

      Approved surgery in am yea!
      · 3 replies
      1. Combowep

        https://blog.earny.me

      2. Tobencah

        Hello

      3. Tobencah

        Hello

    • maggie78

      I have a surgery date, I have my next doctor appointment on Wed and then Thursday I start my 2 week liquid pre-op diet. I am very nervous right now. I know it's going to be a tough mind game. 
      · 1 reply
      1. GreenTealael

        💚 Congratulations, you'll do great 💚

    • SabrinaGoddess

      Week 5 Post Op Report

      What a journey! I am 5 weeks from surgery and a total of 24.4 pounds down!

      I feel amazing! I’ve incorporated a ton of walking and I’m using my Apple Watch to help me along! I have closed all three of my fitness rings for 11 days straight! Ok, so I am in LOVE with my Apple Watch. I've had it for almost a year and I am just now tapping into it's fitness power!

      I keep on top of my protein, vitamins and biotin!

      I struggle with water but I average about 50 ounces a day. I have only had one day where I had to “purge” because something did not agree with me. Tuna and my Tiny Tummy still do not agree so I’m going to leave it alone for a while!

      I walk on average a little more than 3 miles a day for my exercise but manage to get in at least 13,000-17,000 steps a day depending on how my schedule goes.

      I get up every hour and walk around for at least five minutes. Then if I’m watching a show I get up and walk in place during the commercials!

      I meet with my doc this week for a progress report.

      I have one more week before I graduate from soft foods to the final phase!

      I’ve got my cookbooks ready, my food scale ready and my measuring plates ready!

      I could NOT be more happy with my progress! I feel amazing and I’m grateful to have this tool!

      None Scale Victory: My rings on my finger are spinning!




      · 3 replies
      1. Krimsonbutterflies

        Sabrina, you are doing so well. I'm truly inspired and equally excited for you. The view you shared is breathtaking and relaxing, I'm in love with the ocean. Please keep sharing. Where did you find the trackers and how do I access them? My date is approaching the 31st, I'm in liquid diet mode. I see my surgeon on the 17th. Any advice?

      2. SabrinaGoddess

        You got this sis! You totally do.
        The ocean is so peaceful. Some days I get blessed with seeing whales, dolphins and seals. It is truly amazing.

        You can go to under our name at the top left section and click "TICKERS" you can create them there. Then when you lose weight you just go to "my surgery" and change your weight and they will adjust.

        On the liquids, do sugar free pop-cycles. They are more like a treat than a liquid and they count as 2 ounces each! Liquids not the funnest part of our journey but who cares....LOL. I do like the IsoPure clear liquid protein drinks, you can get them at GNC. The flavors are ok. I also LOVED Kettle and FIre Broth and Epic Broths so I drank them all the time, it's good for you. It's BONE BROTH. Kinda pricey but the good stuff usually is.

      3. Krimsonbutterflies

        Thank you for the encouragement/positivity!!! I'm going to conquer this liquid phase, moment by moment. I also appreciate the mini tutorial of how to get the ticker. I'm thinking of starting status updates after my pre-op visit with the surgeon on Friday. I really enjoy the personal perspective and experience being shared, without feeling like the thread is being dominated. I look forward to how each person is approaching the wls lifestyle. Thank you lady, good night. Happy Whale watching. I love seeing the dolphins at Hermosa Beach.

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×