Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss with mood stabilizers... post op

Hello all,

I am almost 5 months post op and have had slow loss since the beginning. I am on both Lamictal and Lithium and fear that it is hindering my ability to have successful weight loss. I will be honest that am unable to get in enough Fluid everyday and i could work on increasing my calorie intake a little more. Since surgery i have had trouble keeping Water down and being able to eat most things and most everything hurt to go down until a few weeks ago. I am looking for others who take mood stabilizers or depression meds to share their experience with the meds after weight loss surgery. I am scared that I wont get anywhere near my goal due to the meds and that my weight loss has already slowed way down even though it has been slow from the beginning. Thank u

Is that 92 pounds in 5 months correct? Is that what you have lost since surgery?

Hi,

After I post, I realized that there may be some confusion. Thank you for asking. Since surgery I have lost about 50lbs. I lost about 40lbs preop in the 2-3 months leading up to surgery. This is why I am concerned. On my own I lost almost as much as I lost after surgery and in way less time. I have been told I was more determined now and that can be part of it but I was not on my meds as much then and I was only taking Lamictal at that time. Since surgery I have had a few manic episodes and a few depressive episodes and some sucky side effects.

I know how you feel. My surgery (sleeve) was 4/17 and I also have a mood disorder. I also take Lamictal and Prozac. My doctor (and I agree) that Lamictal doesn't usually cause much weight gain but sadly, lithium does, that's why I don't want to take it but my hypomanic episodes are few and far in between, but I do have depression almost all the time. Luckily since my surgery my depression has been much better, maybe from the weight loss and probably from increased exercise? I know with mood disorders change is big with us, making us manic or depressed quickly.

My loss slowed too but I wasn't getting enough fluids at all and I also upped my calories and I've started to lose again. Feel free to PM me if you want

I would venture to guess that the meds are indeed playing into this. I suggest asking your psych about switching to a different med. I have been on mood stabilizers and antidepressants for over 20 years and in those first few years I gained 100 lbs! Years later I learned that weight gain is a very common side effect of taking depakote which is what I was taking at the time. In all these years I have never been able to lose that initial 100 lbs which is what eventually led me to having sleeve surgery 8/15. I'm still bitter over it. I've been on lamictal and Zoloft for several years now without any additional weight gain from it - just weight gain from poor eating habits etc. I encourage you to talk with your Dr. This weight loss surgery journey is tough enough on its own but combined with mental health management it really is a lot to deal with. Wishing you the best.

Thanks ladies for the replies. Much appreciated. I believe that I am not wating enough. I am told that I should be consuming 500-700 cals max for as long as I can. Preop I lost more weight by consuming more cals than the max suggested by the Dr. Now when I eat more I lose more. Magpie, what were ur calories when ur weight slowed and how did u up ur calorie intake? Rs how was ur journey in the beginning with the medication? Slow? Fast? Steady?

Thanks ladies for the replies. Much appreciated. I believe that I am not wating enough. I am told that I should be consuming 500-700 cals max for as long as I can. Preop I lost more weight by consuming more cals than the max suggested by the Dr. Now when I eat more I lose more. Magpie, what were ur calories when ur weight slowed and how did u up ur calorie intake? Rs how was ur journey in the beginning with the medication? Slow? Fast? Steady?
It has been a very difficult road since my Aug 15 surgery both mentally and physically. I wasn't keeping the liquids down, kept running to bathroom with the worst "issues" I think I ever felt in my life. Because I had to split all my meds in smaller sizes that meant I no longer could just pop them all in my mouth at once and be done so it was this prolonged agony of having to take them one by one and I got to the point where I just ended up not taking them for a few days. Naturally that only exacerbated my situation because now not only was I physically hurting I was also mentally hurting. At my one week post op appt the nurse saw my blood pressure was very low and I was very weak, then when I went in to the Dr I just broke down in tears. Told him about my mental health condition and how I wasn't taking my meds etc. He sent me straight to get IV fluids pumped in me. He also said I could go back to taking my meds whole. So every day since I have forced myself to take my meds and now I'm mentally back in shape. Physically I'm better than I was, including no more bathroom issues, but still not feeling great. I have my "real" post op appt tomorrow with the Dr who did my surgery (last week was a different Dr because mine was on vacation) and I'll see what he says. From a weight loss perspective I lost 15 lbs pre surgery over about a three well period, and I'm guessing tomorrow's weight will have me about 12-15 lbs down at two weeks post surgery. If I look at my food log it seems I've only averaged 300-500 calories per day. I know that can't be good. And I'm probably only drinking 25-30 oz Water which I know isn't good. I'm probably gonna get smacked tomorrow by the Dr but I truly feel so awful when I try to eat or drink. I initially planned to go back to work this Wed but I postponed it a week but I'm not even sure I'll be ready by next Wed. Not sure if any of this answered your question but it's the journey I've been on. And it's been so very difficult.

I had been on depacote for Migraines, seem to be getting better as I lose weight.

Oh my sweet heaven, are you going to do it? I was worried maybe it had a stitch holding,it in there.

oops wrong post, 3 Am here, couldn't sleep.< /p>

I had been on depacote for Migraines, seem to be getting better as I lose weight.
Depakote is what started my 100 lb weight gain 20 years that I've never been able to shed and what led me to this surgery. I was on it as a mood stabilizer. I know it is used to help with other conditions like migraines. I just wanted to share how that drug to me is my sworn enemy. Hopefully you don't have the same side effect.

Haven't taken it , I am on Wellbutrin, if you try to take them both Depakote blocks the metabolism to,the Wellbutrin , so,it can build up to a toxic level in your body. No,thank,you very much.
I have been,on a liver-shrinking diet all,of August, I have lost 15 pounds, I want nothing that will put it back on. My surgery is September 5th.

Haven't taken it , I am on Wellbutrin, if you try to take them both Depakote blocks the metabolism to,the Wellbutrin , so,it can build up to a toxic level in your body. No,thank,you very much.
I have been,on a liver-shrinking diet all,of August, I have lost 15 pounds, I want nothing that will put it back on. My surgery is September 5th.
I lost 15 on my pre diet also - congrats. Good luck with your surgery!

@DB25rny sorry it's been a crazy week! I'm not sure what my calories were, I swear I'd have to do a spreadsheet lol! It's like all of the sudden I'm just standing still. I mean I'm losing but slowly, way slower than I like. If you eat too little your body will slow your weight loss. I think 800 was a magic number for me, I think I started adding nuts in but that depends on your nutritionist. I'm eating probably 1000 calories now and I'm stalled now, kinda, but I'm also exercising a lot and burn about 650 in the morning which is SO good for our depression as we all know but it's such a vicious cycle. I have bipolar depression so I too have been on meds for so long, but wasn't properly diagnosed until 8 years ago.

Lithium sucks, it's a go to wonder drug. But it is a weight gain trap. So is depekote. I just saw another that is less weight gaining in my psych book, if I find it I'll let you know

And if you aren't already, I'd suggest using Baritastic app. Keep track of your food and Water intake so you can see what works and what may make you gain etc. I like it better than my fitness pal