Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first Surgiversary!

I'm so thankful for support that I've found here. I don't know anyone in "real life" who has had WLS. I don't attend any group meetings. All my pre-op appointments were individual. I was too nervous to even attend a group information session! So I'm hoping that no one minds if I share how I'm feeling on my first surgiversary.

One year ago today was the eve of my VSG! A year later and I'm 71kg or 156 pounds lighter. It has been the most insane year of my life. I've learned so much about myself and what I might be capable of. I've pushed myself harder than I ever thought possible. It's been baby steps and huge leaps all at once.

A lot has happened this year. I've read a million diet and nutrition articles online. I've obsessed over the numbers on the scale every morning. I have amassed a small mountain sized pile of clothes that I'm too worried to throw out in case I need them again. I cried the first time I tried on something in a "normal" store and it actually fit. I picked out more loose hairs from my shower drain than I ever thought possible. I tried out yoga and pilates. I cooked vegetables that I would have had difficulty identifying a year ago. I worried that I was losing weight too quickly. I worried that I was losing weight too slowly. One of my rings got so big that it flew off my hand and got flushed down the toilet. I spent an obscene amount of money on new clothes. I've eaten too quickly and felt sick. Sometimes I play with my squishy loose skin like it's play doh. Most of my shoes are too loose and don't fit properly. I can now fly without an extra seat belt extender. The first thing I do every morning is immediately feel my stomach and check that the weight hasn't come back over night or that this past year wasn't just some weird dream. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think I might pass for normal. Other times I hate my reflection. It's been harder than I thought it would be and it's been easier than I thought it would be. It's been a strange ride!

Anyway, below are some "before" and "after" shots. Hopefully you can identify which is which!

IMG_7697.JPG

IMG_7290.JPG

Side.png

IMG_9359 2.JPG

27 minutes ago, LaLaDee said:

I'm so thankful for support that I've found here. I don't know anyone in "real life" who has had WLS. I don't attend any group meetings. All my pre-op appointments were individual. I was too nervous to even attend a group information session! So I'm hoping that no one minds if I share how I'm feeling on my first surgiversary.

One year ago today was the eve of my VSG! A year later and I'm 71kg or 156 pounds lighter. It has been the most insane year of my life. I've learned so much about myself and what I might be capable of. I've pushed myself harder than I ever thought possible. It's been baby steps and huge leaps all at once.

A lot has happened this year. I've read a million diet and nutrition articles online. I've obsessed over the numbers on the scale every morning. I have amassed a small mountain sized pile of clothes that I'm too worried to throw out in case I need them again. I cried the first time I tried on something in a "normal" store and it actually fit. I picked out more loose hairs from my shower drain than I ever thought possible. I tried out yoga and pilates. I cooked vegetables that I would have had difficulty identifying a year ago. I worried that I was losing weight too quickly. I worried that I was losing weight too slowly. One of my rings got so big that it flew off my hand and got flushed down the toilet. I spent an obscene amount of money on new clothes. I've eaten too quickly and felt sick. Sometimes I play with my squishy loose skin like it's play doh. Most of my shoes are too loose and don't fit properly. I can now fly without an extra seat belt extender. The first thing I do every morning is immediately feel my stomach and check that the weight hasn't come back over night or that this past year wasn't just some weird dream. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think I might pass for normal. Other times I hate my reflection. It's been harder than I thought it would be and it's been easier than I thought it would be. It's been a strange ride!

Anyway, below are some "before" and "after" shots. Hopefully you can identify which is which!

IMG_7697.JPG

IMG_7290.JPG

Side.png

IMG_9359 2.JPG

I cried a little , I laughed a lot

!!!!!!!!!!!Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

You look amazing & confident

Edited by GreenTealael

You look beautiful! I love the black dress!

Thank you for sharing today. I have a pile of stuff I need to take to goodwill but there’s that voice in my head that says “maybe you should keep a few things, just in case”. I guess maybe that’s normal?

Anyway, congratulations on all you have accomplished.

Wow! Thanks for sharing this girlie!! Huge congrats on all of your effort and dedication!!! You are stunning and LOVE the black dress!!!!

I so get the "clothes" thing. I need to purge my closet from all of my 32, 30, 28, 26, 22, 20s LOL. I'm scared spitless to do it. What if I fail? I don't have an endless wad of cashola to re-buy that nonsense. So it may get bagged up and sent to storage for a year or two until I reach a comfort zone and negotiate with my bad cray self.

I shop at Goodwill now. LOL. I HATE even spending the $3.50 it costs for a pair of Ralph Lauren jeans! I get a 30% senior discount on Saturdays! And love buying tshirts for $1 at another thrift store. :) TG I can just work from home. I still wear my old 4x flannel pjs and sweat shirts.

Congrats! You look great!

Congrats on your awesome success! Love the little black dress, you rock it! I'd kill for your ankles! Thanks for sharing your inspirational photos!

How do you feel physically?

You look stunning, such a difference, well done x

Thanks for all the love guys!

@Orchids&Dragons Physically I feel totally different. I feel so much lighter, like I’m actually floating sometimes. I’ve had a lot of health issues over the past year and I’m taking lots of medication but I still feel amazing. I haven’t thrown out my back or dealt with sciatica in ages! I have so much more energy. I don’t get hot and sweaty carrying in a bag of groceries. It really is totally different. I need to book in for my 1 year post op and see what my blood tests say. I’m weirdly excited to get the results!

@FluffyChix I wish I had your discipline and was more frugal. I get a buzz out of buying clothes from stores that i used to be too embarrassed to even walk inside of pre surgery. I have the credit card debt to prove it!

@KimTriesRNY I think hanging on to the old clothes is common. Plus size shopping is hard. It’s expensive and it’s a lot of effort to find decent looking clothes. I’m finding it so hard to let go. I hope you make it to goodwill!

Thanks again everyone! I just can’t believe an entire year has passed!

Nice work!

You look wonderful!!! Congrats on your 1 year surgiversary and on the great progress you've accomplished.

Congratulations on your surgiversary! You look so great and I love the black dress!