Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible to build muscle after the sleeve? I'm about to find out.

You are all an inspiration to me. I have a hard time getting myself up to walk. I had my surgery in April and I know I would lose more weight if I incorporated some kind of exercise. I have an elliptical and exercise trampoline, but they just sit and collect dust. Man I need to get off my butt.

Some update pics from today's session at the gym.

I've been battling mentally with the reality of eating enough to gain muscle. Though I know I need to, anytime I see weight GAIN on the scale, I freak a little and subconsciously pull back on my diet. This week I gained about 3 pounds and I'm trying hard to be OK with that. :)

Screenshot_20181028-150823_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20181028-150613_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20181028-145831_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20181028-144943_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20181028-144813_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20181028-144544_Video Player.jpg

@BlueCrush You are lookin' awesome, man! How much have you increased your weights?

Looking good bro. How do you get the pics. Do you just set up your phone or someone takes them for you.

3 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

@BlueCrush You are lookin' awesome, man! How much have you increased your weights?

I switched up my routine about a month ago to do different lifts, focusing on compound lifts. With that, I started a 6 week program where I had kind of set my weights for the 6-week period. At the end of this routine, I'll try again for 1 rep Maxes and see where I'm at.

2 hours ago, J San said:

Looking good bro. How do you get the pics. Do you just set up your phone or someone takes them for you.

Combination of both. On some of the pics you can see my phone staged. In others, my wife is taking the picture.

Thanks for the update! I'm pre op and I lift but not effectively. I'm just using resistance bands with a bar, and an ab roller. I LOVE the roller. I can definitely see some results. Everywhere really. Hope to keep this up for life!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

keep on kicking butt brother! I'm close to 4 years post bypass and I know its absolutely possible to add as much muscle as you want if you keep Protein in check and work damn hard! I started lifting to aid in loose skin and got addicted to it. I have added a lot of muscle and strength is crazy. Be great my friend!

On 12/6/2018 at 11:21 PM, BlueCrush said:

Progress pics:

Screenshot_20181201-172756_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20181201-172650_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20181201-173514_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20181201-173259_Video Player.jpg

20181206_230928.jpg

20181205_213554.jpg

Awesome job dude! You look great!

I JUST started hitting the weights yesterday after being cleared by my surgeon (only 5 weeks post-op). I've been in the gym 7 days a week for 3 weeks now doing cardio, and yesterday I did a few back exercises for the 1st time (lat pull downs, rows, cable stuff, etc). I planned to do back and bis but I didn't manage my time enough and just ended up doing back. For now, my plan is Mon chest and tris / Wed back and bis / Fri legs and shoulders +30 minutes of cardio, and 45-60 minutes of cardio on the non-weight days (perhaps taking Sundays off, not 100% sure yet).

My concern, which I brought up to my surgeon, was the caloric intake. I only eat 600-800 calories at this point, and I understand I won't be able to build muscle as if I ate 2000+ calories, but I WOULD like to tone up while I lose AND not pass out (lol). He said to take it light while I heal, and not to worry about passing out. I guess we'll see...

Sorry for the long ass response....

My input would be that it's not possible to build muscle during that extreme of a deficit, but that shouldn't be your goal right now. Lifting weights while getting at least 60-80g of Protein will help you prevent a losing the muscle mass you already have hidden underneath the fat as you lose weight. It will help you lose fat weight instead of muscle weight as you drop pounds. Believe me, you have more muscle underneath the fat than you think. Think of how hard your muscles have to work to carry around all that extra weight on a daily basis for years.

Loving this thread.

I definately gained muscle on a pretty intense calorie deficit - it's without question possible. However, I am not sure how much I could have gained or can gain.

I am still (somewhat unexpectedly) losing weight and after the holidays am going to shift my nutrition focus.

I am also focusing alot on other aspects of fitness which decline with age (its not just lean muscle!) but in my case balance.

I cannot do a single leg dumbell deadlift without toppling over. I just need to retrain that in myself and I know it will come with time but it's been one of the more frustrating aspects of my fitness journey. However, I consider it one of the most critical given this morning I almost took a tumble down the subway stairs due to an off-balance misstep.

I also like to create games - my next objective is to be able to do a full ab wheel roll out (e.g., arms full out, body just hovering over the floor). Been practicing and ugggh my abs hurt like a beast!

On 12/13/2018 at 6:14 PM, BlueCrush said:

My input would be that it's not possible to build muscle during that extreme of a deficit, but that shouldn't be your goal right now. Lifting weights while getting at least 60-80g of Protein will help you prevent a losing the muscle mass you already have hidden underneath the fat as you lose weight. It will help you lose fat weight instead of muscle weight as you drop pounds. Believe me, you have more muscle underneath the fat than you think. Think of how hard your muscles have to work to carry around all that extra weight on a daily basis for years.

Awesome! So I'm already pretty much on my way. Getting back to lifting has been great, although I do feel (understandably) weak. Not in a "I feel like I'm going to fall over sense", more in the "****, this 15lbs I used to lift like nothing is heavy as hell!" LOL