Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Temptations at Work—Best Snack Items to Keep on Hand?

So, I work as nursing staff at a psychiatric hospital and our crew is very tight-knit. We have potlucks in our nurses’ station for every reason. Birthday? Potluck. Back from vacation? Potluck. Trying patient going back to jail? Potluck. It’s a Saturday? Donuts, chips, and other goodies. Today, I came into work and there was a box of donuts from our psychiatrist because he wanted to show his appreciation. Right now, there’s a bag of Doritos and Gummy bears right in front of me as I begrudgingly eat my salad. I’ve managed to do pretty well so far and I haven’t given in to temptation, but man, that apple fritter was calling my name.

What are your favorite Snacks to keep on hand in this type of situation? I have a fridge at work and my own locker.
I am just starting my 6 month medically supervised weight loss.

I'm going to have a potluck for your post! Just kidding. Kudos for working in that setting, both with the temptations and I can't fathom the abnormal things you see. I love the movie "Awakenings", maybe that is close?

Maybe try to separate your work area from the food, even if it's moved a few feet. If you sit a lot, I bet if they are outside of an arm's length, that will help! Maybe when you have the potlucks, you could bring in a crock pot with some shredded chicken or some other healthier option. Never know, might even start a trend with your co workers "Wow that's really good! It's only xxx Calories?"

BTW, I have a family member that is a PsyDoc (Psychologist) near Seattle.

That sounds tough! Maybe some shredded chicken mixed with salsa or even just cheese sticks! I also love dried chick peas and the come chocolate covered or caramel or salted (they sell them on here in store too)

I'd contribute fruit for the potluck and keep fruit cups, portion-controlled nuts and Protein Bars in my locker. Good luck. I used to work in an environment like that and it was tough.

Ugh that is tough. I work in the hospital and there is always cake, doughnuts, and candy around. This week someone brought in packages of full size Cinnabon for heavens sakes!

I always keep Greek yogurt, cottage cheese...if you can find Muuna it’s yummy...cheese sticks, and such for Snacks.

Granted I am post op and it is much easier to not stray now.

The more you stay away from the sugar though, the less you will crave it!

Start a healthier trend, bring veggies, fruit, reasonable Protein in crockpot. Donuts are lazy, they say I wanted to bring something that I gave no thought to, ran in the gas station omw to work and that's how much I really care!!!

P3 protein Snacks, Quest chips if you have to have something chip-like, yogurts, string cheese, almonds, delieat, cottage cheese, cantaloupe

More goodies on the table today when I walked in for shift change report. Thank you all for your tips and suggestions. I ate Snacks I packed (cheese stick and turkey jerky), and will eat my dinner in about an hour (Premier Protein RTD shake). Feeling satiated throughout the evening and not letting my self get super hungry has helped a bunch too.

Lol 😂 i know the feeling I work at a children’s hospital and thats how i got big all this food at work and no self control to say no. I was sleeved 7/27 returning to work has been hard, because of all the food.

I've become a big fan of the JIF powerups clusters, in strawberry or apple cinnamon. They come in individual bags of about six clusters, for 190 calories, 7g sugar (a little more than usually recommended, but I tolerate it without any issues), and 6g Protein. They're a decent option for when there's a deluge of sweets in the office.

I love to snack on raw veggies with Greek Yogurt made ranch veggie dip. My new favorite veggie is raw sugar snap peas. Gives me a solid crunch. And its low in calories, high in Vitamin C. But veggies usually hits the spot!