Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to Freak Out (Hair)

I'm about 1/2 way through the pre-surgery process. I've done most of the tests, I just need more weigh-ins. As it is becoming more real I am starting to freak out. I'm not scared of the pain, or surgical risks. I'm afraid of losing my hair. I'm afraid of looking like a human puddle of skin too, but I am really afraid of losing my hair. I'm reading about women losing so much that they have to wear a wig. My hair is literally the only thing I have ever liked about the way I looked. I'm taking a really good Multivitamin, 10,000 mg of Biotin daily and I take spironolactone, an anti-androgen, for acne, which also helps testosterone related loss. I know I can't avoid it but I'm just so scared about how I will look. I'm almost in tears just thinking about it. It's worth it, right?

hair grows back! I’m a year out and the regrowth is all a few inches. In six more months it will be like it never happened. The time goes by so quickly!

Losing hair is annoying, but you can deal with it. It’s nothing compared to getting your health back! You will most likely lose hair. You probably won’t need a wig or extensions. Honestly, the worst bit is clogged shower drains but that’s easier to deal with than diabetes!

I haven't had surgery yet, but after my second pregnancy my once thick and beautiful hair started disappearing. Look for hairstylists that can match a "topper" to the hair you have and bead it in. It's way less invasive than a wig and it makes me feel like it's my hair. Best yet, no one knows I don't have hair.

So, that out of the way...this surgery will change our lives! There's many options for thin hair. Not so many that work for getting and staying thin! You can do it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Chances are you will lose some hair. How noticeable it will be depends on how thick your hair is now and where your hair decides to thin out at.

I have very thick hair. I have lost quite a bit from my temples and the front but it’s not enough for anyone else to notice. The thinning is starting to calm down now and regrowth should start.

I would not change my decision either way. I’m already so much healthier. If I had to cut my hair short or wear a headband for a few months to hide it, that would still be worth it.

I lost a lot of hair from months 3-5. Judging from the diameter of my pony tail I would say 40-50% of the volume. But, literally no one can tell, unless I pull my hair back and the loss at my hairline and temples becomes obvious. And everyone will be so amazed at how good you look from your weight loss, they won't even notice your hair. :D

Hair loss isn't that noticeable to anyone else. I wear my hair down and use a lot of volume increasing products. I only put my hair in a pony tail if I'm at home. I only have about 40% of the tail left and I'm self conscious about it. When I need my hair out of my face at work, I put it in a messy top knot. My hair in an awkward phase now with little clumps sticking out all over my scalp, but I do my best with a hair straightener and hair paste (seem to work better than hair spray at making the little hairs stay down). I used to have so so much hair, now it's so thin that I can dry it in about a quarter of the time so that's something. But honestly, hair loss is not that bad.

In about 6 months, I'm going to have my old hair back and I'm no longer facing pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, thyroid and hormone issues, my sciatica and back pain is almost gone. I don't need a seat belt extension on flights. I don't get tired just buying groceries and packing them away. I can chase after the doggies and I don't panic when a colleague suggests we take the stairs. On the vanity side, I can shop in normal sized stores, I have pretty little hands and I can even see my collarbones now.

This surgery is scary. You have to be really brave to go through with it. But I would hate for anyone to let the thought of losing hair or loose skin stop them from going through with it.

Biotin is a waste of money, doesn’t aid hair regrowth, and taking it may interfere with lab results per the FDA.

A positive thought? By the time mine loosens and falls I will have regained enough shape no one will ask🏃or💃they will say 🙋all the way!