Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I the only bandster not losing?

A friend of mine was having issue's with losing, went in for a fill and ended up speaking to the nurse that "wrote the book" on lapband-literally. I don't know her name. Anyway, she suggested my friend have a simple xray done to see if her band had slipped or if her pouch had expanded. Both may cause little or no weight loss. She had the xray and found the band had not slipped so they took all the Fluid out of her band and allowed her stomach to shrink under the band for a period of two weeks and then started putting fluid back in. She started losing weight again after the process. Just something to keep in mind.

I've been lucky since getting banded on 11/29. Not hungry and losing weight. BUT--I'm drinking more than a half cup of liquid at a time: is this going to stretch my stomach or band or cause other problems? Or should i not be worrying about portions until my first fill?

Thanks,

cmeyer11

It makes me feel so good to read im not the only one who is slow losing. I am going in for my 3rd fill in 2 days so i am REALLY hoping for some restriction! *keeping my fingers crossed* Thanks!

I was able to eat normally until the 3rd fill and now I can only eat for example 3 shrimp with a lot of chewing. I have lost 31 pounds. I had my lap band put in on 8/13/07. I also gained 20 pounds before I had surgery. So from my normal weight, I've lost about 13 pounds. Good luck.

trish

i got my first fill last week, it was 6.5 cc's. i could eat anything before. i had good restriction for a few days, but for lunch today i was able to eat an entire wendy's kids meal. ok, i may have made a bad decision to begin with. i wasn't the type to sit down and eat a large meal, it is more or less that i like junk food, and i would be hungry a couple of hours after eating. so, a kid's meal would have always filled me up. i may have eaten something else with it, but i didn't have to. now, today, i'm stuffed after the kids meal. i want nothing (i even ate the entire order of small fries -the first time i have had fries since october).

i am actually losing weight with this fill although i'm not really sure how. i hope i get to where i eat less than a kids meal.

Thanks for everyone's posts! It's so encouraging to hear that I'm not the only one who began dropping lbs left and right. I got my 2nd fill and just in the last week am I seeing a difference. I have taken off a couple lbs I had gained. I'm watching what I eat a little bit. I still like my sweets and had brownies this weekend and ice cream here and there. It's just that I could have easily had say 1/2 the tray of brownies and now one will do me. I would guess that I can eat about 1 cup to 1.5 cups of food. Some may say that's too much and I need another fill, but I get stuck probably once every other day or so and until I can learn to take micro mini bites and chew to mush, I don't want another fill. I can imagine I would be PBing a lot if I got another fill right now. As it is I PB about 1-2 a week and my hubby looks at me like I'm bullemic or something. It's not like I do it on purpose =)

How is everyone else doing?

I got my band on July 24th and did fairly well for a few months. Then I found I could eat just about anything. I have now had two fills and will be going for another in early January. One thing about these posts that is so good is that you find you are not alone in this thing and that what is happening, has happens to other folks too. I have not given up hope, so don't you give up hope either. I may not get restriction with the next fill either, but I sure hope so. The thing to remember is, this is a journey with hills and valleys. There might be more hills now, but the valleys are ahead, for sure. ;)

I would love to find a recipe book too as well as a set diet to follow. I looked at Barnes and Nobel and there is no such book for lapbanders. I'm going to check online and see what there is out there. Does anyone have any idea of how much sugar or calories there are in Starbucks Chai Tea? I love it, but I must admit, its sweet and there probably is alot of calories in there.

Debbie: Chai Tea Latte: 16 fl. oz cal 320 fat 13 carbs 36 Chai Tea Latte: w. Nonfat Milk cal 210 fat 0.5 carbs 37

When restriction is there, you'll know.. So just keep getting those fills.

There's no way in hell I could eat a kids meal. I have tried :eek:

DH gets me kids meals when he doesn't know what else to get me.

Last one was about 2 weeks ago.. a McDonald's kids meal (Chicken nuggets & Fries). I started on the fries.. Ate half the bag (and let's be honest here, pre-band that little bag didn't even count as 1 bite of appetizer!!). and then started PBing. Mooshy fries do not agree with my band. So after 30m of spitting up goopy chunks of potatos, I tried to eat a teeny tiny bite of 1 chicken nugget. Yeah right. So that was that.

If you feel your band 'isn't working' you're just not restricted enough, fill fill fill. And be patient. I know it sucks, took 5 months for them to realize why my fills weren't helping.. I thought the band wasn't going to work for me.. ends up they just couldn't get in my port. Since they have, it's the bandster's life for me!

The reservoir on most bands is anywhere from 10 to 14 cc. The volume of your first fill is unlikely to be producing much effect. Most have to have at least 7 cc.

Whoa, the reservoir on my band is 4 cc. My first fill four weeks ago was 1.7 and I have decent restriction with that. My husband, on the other hand, got the VG band with a 10 cc reservoir, and with 4 cc he has almost no restiction.

The bands themselves are 10 or 11 centimeters in length, which makes all these metric numbers confusing as they are sometimes referred to by their lengths.