Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 hours ago, dreamingofasleeve said:

I want to know... Was it worth it?

Yes yes yes and thousand times again yes!!!!!!!

nothing so clearly showed me how far down a dark path i had traveled than where i am today.

you gain weight so slowly and withdraw from life in such small ways that you sometimes never notice till its to late.

that door marked to late was what i was standing in front of 1.5 year ago.

all i needed to do was hold off a little bit longer and the high blood pressure and diabetes could have finished me off.

But is was the memory loss from years of sleep Apnea that was the real driving force for me, it is utterly terrifying to lose the ability to remember yesterday.

I am just 2 months in and I am very pleased with VSG! I have lost 42 lbs and I feel like an entirely new person with increased energy and I can finally DO things that I could not do before because of so much weight. I think its essential that you get into your mind that VSG is not just about getting 'skinny'. It is about getting HEALTHY because obesity and its related illnesses will send us to an earlier death. So weight loss is what gets us to a great new life because we are much healthier :)

Also, VSG is not a magic solution. You can still gain weight by drinking all of your calories and not really exercising. Its a commitment and you really have to be all in if you are going to spend that kind of money and go through the surgery etc.

48 minutes ago, allwet said:

Yes yes yes and thousand times again yes!!!!!!!

nothing so clearly showed me how far down a dark path i had traveled than where i am today.

you gain weight so slowly and withdraw from life in such small ways that you sometimes never notice till its to late.

that door marked to late was what i was standing in front of 1.5 year ago.

all i needed to do was hold off a little bit longer and the high blood pressure and diabetes could have finished me off.

But is was the memory loss from years of sleep Apnea that was the real driving force for me, it is utterly terrifying to lose the ability to remember yesterday.

amen to all of what you said! The diabetes and hypertension would have killed me young too. I am really striving to come off insulin altogether with significant weight loss. I feel like I a have been born again with just 42 lbs and cannot wait to see what life feels like with even more WL. I am inspired by how much weight you lost too

Buck up my little buckaroo! It's almost your 🏇rodeo and I see blue ribbons🎀 and trophies🏆 in your future🌈! No Tears No Fears🌟 Just Joy and👑 Triumph Already. 🏣Full speed🚘 Ahead Pat, it is really worth the drive!

I had my sleeve on 10/2716 and have not regretted anything. I did it to be healthy no skinny. I have lost 56 lbs and very happy with my weight. I was a conversion from band to sleeve so weight loss different. I was not one to want to be in a bikini just wanted to be able to be healthy which I am. Best decision I have ever made.

I am 3 weeks out of RNY bypass. I was a nervous wreck before surgery. To the point that I had a read a story on here of someone having their surgery cancelled because they were so nervous they broke out in hives, and I was for sure that would end up being me. I was worried about the pain, the permanence, and the change this would bring to my life.

I won’t lie, the first four days after surgery there was a good deal of pain. And I’m so early post surgery that I can’t say for certain I’ll be a success story... but was it worth it? Absolutely. Because maybe I don’t lose all the excess weight, but I certainly wasn’t losing it without the surgery. At least I can feel like I’m giving it my best shot, that I *tried* my best, and did what I could to overcome my weight issues and the health problems I had/have that are caused by it.

On 7/27/2018 at 6:42 AM, MiltonP said:

Had my sleeve on March 5 I’ve lost 109 pounds so far I’m 6 pounds from my goal but as letsgetgoing2018 said this is just a tool you need to follow your Dr diet and work your ass off in the gym also you need to understand they operate on your stomach not you brain so at first you’ll still feel the hunger which is not really there just power through it and in no time you’ll be a whole new person

Your post and stats are an inspiration!!! I'm so hopeful when I read things like this. I had my surgery on 6/20 and have lost 35 pounds so far but sometimes am afraid that my weight loss will end.

On 7/27/2018 at 7:31 AM, Orchids&Dragons said:

We're all very different. For me, yes, it is absolutely worth it. I have been dieting since I was about 12. I'm 59 now. If I were ever going to be successful at maintaining weight loss, I would have known it by now. (I can lose weight fine, I just regain). It's already tough to get older, and hauling around 3 large sacks of dog food on my back was making everything worse. I was fortunate that I did not have co-morbidities, but it was just a matter of time, imho. I'm down 75 lbs. in 5 months. I've never lost more than 40 at any one attempt before. But, don't be fooled. It is hard. The surgery helps, but it takes real commitment from you to make it work.

Your post gives me so much hope!!!!

We are the same height and had the same starting weight. I had my surgery on 6/20 and have lost 35# thus far. If I could lose 78 pounds in 5 months I'd be in heaven!!! And I feel better today than I have in 10 years.

Thank you for posting! Hugs!

On 7/27/2018 at 9:02 AM, GreenTealael said:

I'm 9 months post op, immaculate recovery, for me it was worth it but I had no complications. My motivation also was not looks. So every additional benefit was like icing in the cake. Health once lost or gained (regained) can change your life like you've never imagined.

So true about the health regained. I actually walk now and enjoy it. A lot! I haven't enjoyed walking or walked without various sorts of pain for years now.

This surgery was the best thing I've ever done for myself in my life.

Congrats to you too!

I would do it again in a heartbeat. And yes, I questioned my decision several times after having it but only because I was scared and nervous.

This is the best I've felt in 10 years and I've only lost 35 pounds. (Current weight 236) I'm hoping when it cools off a little bit I can start jogging. I couldn't even imagine doing that before surgery and didn't even want to.

On 7/27/2018 at 4:04 AM, dreamingofasleeve said:

I had my surgery on May 9 and I have only lost 23 pounds. I regret ever having the surgery because of the low weight loss especially after 3 months. I should have lost much more than that. I am disappointed.

I am pre op and I feel like we often only see the good side of weight loss surgery.

I want to know... Was it worth it?

I want to be thin but I am scared if failure and side effects. Let me know! Whether your 6 months out or 5 years I want to hear!

Sent from my Pixel using BariatricPal mobile app

Let me give you the opposite challenge Is It Worth it to Postpone, WhimWah around until the Day your surgeon says you're in too poor a shape to be a Good Surgery Candidate. Do you have the strength and resolution to fight an uphill battle at 72, like me? Do you want to be tilting windmills like an Bariatric Geriatric Don Quixote? Do you want to have to prove you're healthy inside, many people my age aren't, you're committed enough, hear it may take you longer to heal, be told there is a higher risk of you dying than if you were 30 or even 40, to have to impress a medical community than once refused surgery to anyone over 60, to take a chance on you, to have friends and family tell you you're silly, only self-centered, you don't care about the outcome for them? Will you fold, give up this dream, die obese and in pain? Or will you persevere against these odds , go forward and receive your surgery? My battle would have been easier then, but the Victory can and will be Mine. To be brutally honest,if I can do it against all the odds I've faced and beaten, why can't you see IT IS WORTH IT?

7 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Let me give you the opposite challenge Is It Worth it to Postpone, WhimWah around until the Day your surgeon says you're in too poor a shape to be a Good Surgery Candidate. Do you have the strength and resolution to fight an uphill battle at 72, like me? Do you want to be tilting windmills like an Bariatric Geriatric Don Quixote? Do you want to have to prove you're healthy inside, many people my age aren't, you're committed enough, hear it may take you longer to heal, be told there is a higher risk of you dying than if you were 30 or even 40, to have to impress a medical community than once refused surgery to anyone over 60, to take a chance on you, to have friends and family tell you you're silly, only self-centered, you don't care about the outcome for them? Will you fold, give up this dream, die obese and in pain? Or will you persevere against these odds , go forward and receive your surgery? My battle would have been easier then, but the Victory can and will be Mine. To be brutally honest,if I can do it against all the odds I've faced and beaten, why can't you see IT IS WORTH IT?

i love this! You are so right! I often get stuck in the fear of the side effects. But honestly i need to remind myself that the side effects of being obese for your whole life are a whole lot worse.

I am sorry to hear about your struggle but i am so happy to hear you have beat all the odds!