Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so I tried to search first before starting this but had no luck.

I was diabetic before surgery taking 80units of levimere twice daily and 1000mg metformin twice daily just to try and control my blood sugar.

Gaining weight because of the medication. The big push for the bypass was because everyone believed that post surgery you tend to get rid of diabetes.

Well up till last couple days my glucose readings have been 95-104 when I check. I checked a bit earlier and I had a spike of 145 which freaked me out.

Its now 4wks post surgery all I had today was my triple zero yogurt that I generally have and 1 cracker with pb on it. I have had this before with out issues.

Idk does it take time for diabetics to eliminate it post surgery? Or could the worst be happening and it’s coming back ?

Yes, it can take some time for it to resolve, though many with either the sleeve, bypass or DS will walk out of the hospital free of meds and insulin - it's a big YMMV thing. There does seem to be some correlation with the length of time that one has been on medication and/or insulin and the time it takes to go into remission. My wife had been on medication, just short of being insulin dependent, for about twenty years when she had her WLS and it took the better part of a year for her to be fully off all of her meds - and that is with the stronger DS (remission rates typically 98-99% vs.85ish% for the RNY and VSG.) So, while you may be amongst the unlucky 15 % or so for whom the bypass doesn't work, there is still a lot of hope that it will.

Good luck,

IpHad RNY Apr 2 2018. Stopped Metformin a week prior. As of Jun 2, I have not needed any insulin! As my dr points out to me, you will always have diabetes....... but now you have it under control without meds! I told him I like to refer to it as my diabetes is in remission! Hang in there!

Well turns out it went back to its happy 104 spot a hour later and has stayed there. I can’t figure out what I ate that spiked but it went back down thank goodness. So I’m still off all the meds.

My diabetes is still lingering, but I was born insulin resistant and had Type 2 diabetes at the age of 27. I only take Victoza, and that is managing it, which is WAY better that 80 units Lantus, 2000 mg Metformin, 300 mg Invokana, and Victoza.

It hasn't even been three months yet, so I'm hopeful that I may kick that last medication, but I'm not too upset that after 18 years of diabetes I have one medication.

I still take 25 units of Lantus before bed (this is the only meds I take). If I don't I wake up and my sugar is around 125. It doesn't matter what I eat my body likes to create glucose while I sleep. By taking the lantus I wake up and my sugar is between 70 and 100 in the morning. My morning reading is and always has been the highest reading of the day. I only take my sugar reading before I eat, never within 3 hours of eating (I know it would be higher after I eat).

My diabetes is still lingering, but I was born insulin resistant and had Type 2 diabetes at the age of 27. I only take Victoza, and that is managing it, which is WAY better that 80 units Lantus, 2000 mg Metformin, 300 mg Invokana, and Victoza.
It hasn't even been three months yet, so I'm hopeful that I may kick that last medication, but I'm not too upset that after 18 years of diabetes I have one medication.
This is great to read. Well - reassuring is a better word! I developed a strange monogenic diabetes at 27, and underwent the RNY to help. I'm also resistant.

I'm four weeks out, only on Metformin but BG's still elevated postprandial until nighttime Metformin dose. I'll talk to my endo about adding another oral agent. I'm just stoked my endogenous insulin is getting me most of the way there. This coming from 80u Lantus, 75u novorapid, Metformin and farxiga pre-op.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using BariatricPal mobile app

I hope you guys don't mind a groupie hanging with you. I am Not Diabetic but that's only by the Grace of God. My PCP has been telling me for the last few years I am a Walking Time Bomb, funny I thought I was a people, but that's what he said. It runs very heavy,on my Daddy's side, of his 10 siblings only 2 were not diabetic and Mama's a little better but even she turned diabetic before my age- I'm 72. Another reason beside obesity to have surgery and have it soon. I will have a RnY it is just the best surgery for me for multiple teasons, on September 5th . So I want to hang with you guys if I may.😛❤😛