Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have read multiple post about taking vitamens and supplements post op, but haven’t read anything on just general sickness like a cold, flu, stomach virus, etc. Does the dr prescribe normal meds/give shots for people who have had the sleeve done or is there a different route they must take? Has anyone experienced this? I am looking at an August 7th sleeve date. Thanks for the feedback

As far as I know you can take cold and flu meds as long as it doesn’t contain any NSAIDS (Aleeve, Advil/ibuprofen, aspirin, etc)

I asked my doctor about each and every single OTC med I had take in the past benadryl ,Advil cold and sinus, Aleve as well as prescription. They will guide you and give you a list of things to avoid and the reasons.

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 169

My doc said you could take the occasional nsaid after healing from vsg as long as it was temporary - not long term for arthritis or anything like that. They prefer tylenol but that stuff never works in the otc dosage for pain for me.

@Tealael Doctors, including bariatric surgeons, know very little about the effects of most meds out there when it comes to helping those of us in the bariatric community feel confident about the meds we take, prescription and OTC. I'd be interested in seeing the list they've compiled and their reasons.

@Tealael Also, congrats on all the weight you've lost. I'm still having a hard time imagining myself a year or so from now and enjoying your level of success. Wow.

[mention=321469]Tealael[/mention] Doctors, including bariatric surgeons, know very little about the effects of most meds out there when it comes to helping those of us in the bariatric community feel confident about the meds we take, prescription and OTC. I'd be interested in seeing the list they've compiled and their reasons.

Thanks, they work with a pharmacologist (I think that's her title) on staff who adjusts meds ahead of the surgery with your other providers very cohesive,the booklets and folders are thoughtfully executed. My surgery was at a hospital rated as a center of excellence (whatever that entails)
I have yet to find a single fault in their system yet, in fact I'm going to a support group tonight, so I'll get more info and report back.

[mention=321469]Tealael[/mention] Also, congrats on all the weight you've lost. I'm still having a hard time imagining myself a year or so from now and enjoying your level of success. Wow.

Thank you!

Visualize it. Really think about it , what you will look like, smiling, posing for photos with friends, on a balcony in a white dress in Jamaica at sunset, torches everywhere... Or sitting on a couch with a cozy now oversized Celtic knit sweater on the couch reading and drinking tea

That's what I did

I swear. Helps me focus.

@Tealael Most likely she's a PharmD, which is a Doctor of Pharmacy. My daughter is a PharmD. A pharmacologist is basically a researcher. They study the chemistry of drugs and how they work in our bodies. Drug companies hire pharmacologists. A PharmD can be a clinical pharmacist (works in hospitals or nursing homes) or a retail pharmacist (fills prescriptions at drugs stores like CVS or a mail-order facility).

No, I have no qualms about her thoroughness. That's what PharmDs do. But that doesn't change the fact that little is understood about the interactions and malabsorption unknowns with the majority of drugs as they pertain specifically to the bariatric community. You're lucky that someone is hands-on with your meds, but she is basically working off what little is known and applying that knowledge as best as she can to the patients she serves.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

@Tealael Visualization sounds like a worthwhile way to help me see myself as I hope to be. I think I'll send myself through a bariatric portal to Iceland. I love snow and all that is winter. Thanks for the inspiration!:)

@Tealael Most likely she's a PharmD, which is a Doctor of Pharmacy. My daughter is a PharmD. A pharmacologist is basically a researcher. They study the chemistry of drugs and how they work in our bodies. Drug companies hire pharmacologists. A PharmD can be a clinical pharmacist (works in hospitals or nursing homes) or a retail pharmacist (fills prescriptions at drugs stores like CVS or a mail-order facility).

No, I have no qualms about her thoroughness. That's what PharmDs do. But that doesn't change the fact that little is understood about the interactions and malabsorption unknowns with the majority of drugs as they pertain specifically to the bariatric community. You're lucky that someone is hands-on with your meds, but she is basically working off what little is known and applying that knowledge as best as she can to the patients she serves.

Perhaps, I never made it to support group, could not find out. I think they know the basics, absorption rates, interactions, etc. There's enough data , so they know what to avoid based on case study. I frequent med journals...but with any emerging technology you can't know everything

The meds are adjusted months in advance to mitigate the effect of the change especially psych meds or slow release which need to be changed to regular...

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

@Tealael. What couldn't you find out... whether she's a pharmacologist or a PharmD? Now that I think about it, if she works in a hospital, she has to be a clinical PharmD. Pharmacists require a license to practice pharmacy. While PharmD's also study pharmacology, that is not the focus of their expertise. My daughter studied for 5 years plus one year of residency at a Veteran's Hospital. I'm very proud of her.

Again, you're lucky that your program makes a concerted effort to help their patients with as many meds as they are able, despite the lack of data available for bariatric patients. I remember when I first brought up the topic of medication malabsorption at my first surgeon appointment. I could tell from Dr. S---'s expression that he didn't like how specific my questions were, and then, he surprisingly changed the subject. I knew then that I'd have to figure out my meds pretty much by myself... with the help of my kids and other health professionals whose egos allowed them to admit that there's not much research out there to go on.

As for your questions about the requirements for COE certification, I found this link (below). I'm not sure, but I think a hospital can be a COE hospital independent of being COE certified for every program they're involved in. I don't think the hospital I had my bypass in was COE certified for bariatric surgery, even though it was a COE-certified hospital in other areas. I had two full knee replacements at this same hospital, and I don't know if they were COE certified for knee and hip replacements either. Too late now. Maybe if I have to have a brain transplant someday, I'll make sure it's at a COE-certified hospital for brain transplants!:)

https://www.obesitycoverage.com/insurance-and-costs/pre-approval-process/center-of-excellence

Some of the programs that a hospital can receive COE certification for include:

• bariatric surgery
  • knee and hip replacement
  • maternity care
  • spine surgery
  • transplants

Oh, and I'm happy to have a new case-study buddy (aka someone who enjoys researching medical and scientific articles too!)

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

[mention=321469]Tealael[/mention]. What couldn't you find out... whether she's a pharmacologist or a PharmD? Now that I think about it, if she works in a hospital, she has to be a clinical PharmD. Pharmacists require a license to practice pharmacy. While PharmD's also study pharmacology, that is not the focus of their expertise. My daughter studied for 5 years plus one year of residency at a Veteran's Hospital. I'm very proud of her. Again, you're lucky that your program makes a concerted effort to help their patients with as many meds as they are able, despite the lack of data available for bariatric patients. I remember when I first brought up the topic of medication malabsorption at my first surgeon appointment. I could tell from Dr. S---'s expression that he didn't like how specific my questions were, and then, he surprisingly changed the subject. I knew then that I'd have to figure out my meds pretty much by myself... with the help of my kids and other health professionals whose egos allowed them to admit that there's not much research out there to go on.

As for your questions about the requirements for COE certification, I found this link (below). I'm not sure, but I think a hospital can be a COE hospital independent of being COE certified for every program they're involved in. I don't think the hospital I had my bypass in was COE certified for bariatric surgery, even though it was a COE-certified hospital in other areas. I had two full knee replacements at this same hospital, and I don't know if they were COE certified for knee and hip replacements either. Too late now. Maybe if I have to have a brain transplant someday, I'll make sure it's at a COE-certified hospital for brain transplants!

https://www.obesitycoverage.com/insurance-and-costs/pre-approval-process/center-of-excellence

Some of the programs that a hospital can receive COE certification for include:

• bariatric surgery
  • knee and hip replacement
  • maternity care
  • spine surgery
  • transplants
Oh, and I'm happy to have a new case-study buddy (aka someone who enjoys researching medical and scientific articles too!)

Interesting!!!

You lucky to have your daughters help, imagine those who have to go at it alone it dont even realize they need help.

Oh yes! Every time I'm put on a new med Er it's chewed, I research it myself...I like to be in the loop, apparently its about control and OCD... but I'm not complaining

So I have read multiple post about taking vitamens and supplements post op, but haven’t read anything on just general sickness like a cold, flu, stomach virus, etc. Does the dr prescribe normal meds/give shots for people who have had the sleeve done or is there a different route they must take? Has anyone experienced this? I am looking at an August 7th sleeve date. Thanks for the feedback
We kind of hijacked your thread. Did you receive any clarity? You will usually have to mention that you've had wls in the ER, but your PCP will already know and prescribe accordingly. Mostly non slow release until the greenlight from bariatrics. Asking your team about things often and ahead of time will help

13 hours ago, Tealael said:

We kind of hijacked your thread. Did you receive any clarity? You will usually have to mention that you've had wls in the ER, but your PCP will already know and prescribe accordingly. Mostly non slow release until the greenlight from bariatrics. Asking your team about things often and ahead of time will help

Haha that’s defiantly ok and yes I did get some info. Thanks for asking.