Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctors office error

Hi guys! I’m in the very early stages of my journey. Ive stalked these forums , you tube and finally went to a seminar. Yesterday I met with the doctor for a consultation. The medical assistant weighed me on a jumbo digital scale like what I’ve seen at the vet. 167 it said. Kilos I’m assuming. She said she would convert that to pounds in the office. Once in there she tells me it is equal to 409lbs. Now this shocked me. Just 2 months ago I weighed 347. I didn’t comment but I just silently cried until the doctor came in. When I went home I searched online for a kilo to lbs converter and found the 167 kilos = 367 lbs. this seems way more likely and what I expected to hear. So my question is.... do I say something to the doctor? Is there a chance I’m missing something? It has me super freaked out Thinking what other mistakes might be made with my care.

Yes, if necessary, go back in this week to re-weigh. Why? Cuz they use THIS weight as your start weight. And just pretend you lose a crap ton of weight the next 6 months leading to surgery...the insurance "could" theoretically deny you for that. That's not as big a worry when you are at your weight. But if you were in the 240-250 range, yeah, you could lose yourself right out of surgery if you don't have an insurance recognized co-morbidity.

So call the office and INSIST on being re-weighed for the records and then make them prove they changed your original chart starting weight.

i would say that maths was not the nurses best subject. But someone has to graduate at the bottom of each class. :)

and on a more serious note: you are in charge of your health, speak up when things are wrong or just not understood. These people are human and make the same mistakes day in and day out that all of us do except you will pay the price for their errors so speak up for yourself.

I would just call and see what is on the chart She probably charted the 167 kg as alot of places use KG instead of lbs and she was converting it for you. Hopefully the chart reads 167 and you can continue with your weight loss journey

Thank you everyone! I have one of my nutritionists visits next week, which happens to be in the same office, so while I’m there I plan to mention it and also insist on being re weighed.

Every doctor's office seems to have their scales calibrated differently. My digital scale at home is different, too. I recently had two back-to-back doctor appointments. I weighed as much as 25 more in one office than in the other on the same day. I was also told (emphatically; how rude!) that I was 5'5" when I've been 5'6" forever. Really? So, that must mean that I grew an inch or shrank an inch, I can't remember, from one office to the next?

Politely challenge. Figure out how to convert from kg to lbs yourself -- with an app or an old-school calculator. Be prepared. Pretend that you're a boy scout. (That's the Boy Scout motto, btw. Be Prepared. https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2017/05/08/be-prepared-scout-motto-origin/)

Find another scale in another office, if possible, and compare. If the numbers are too far off, then one or both scales are worthless.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

My insurance plan had no penalty for gaining weight during the pre-op period. I merely had to make weight-loss attempts for six months, successful or not. Do you know what your bariatric benefits say?

Missouri Lee'sSummit LOL you are going from Boy Scouts" Be Prepared" which also used to Be the Girl Scouts to the 4H ,their motto at least one of them is "To make the Best Better"

I’m not sure what my benefits say. My doctor didn’t mention anything. I have horizon. Apparently my only requirements are a psych evaluation and 2. Nutritionist visits . I assumed I’d be doing a lot more from what I have read online.

1 hour ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

Figure out how to convert from kg to lbs yourself -- with an app or an old-school calculator. Be prepared.

Just multiply the kg by 2.2. 167 x 2.2 = 367.4 Not a hard conversion to remember. Don't worry about lots of decimal places. This is plenty close enough. Sorry her typo put you in such a sad place.

1 hour ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

I was also told (emphatically; how rude!) that I was 5'5" when I've been 5'6" forever. Really? So, that must mean that I grew an inch or shrank an inch, I can't remember, from one office to the next?

We do grow and shrink in height every day. This is because of gravity. We lose on average 1/2 inch a day from when we wake up to when we go to bed. The amount all depends your body and how much compression occurs in your spinal column as well as how active you are.

http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/fact-or-myth-are-you-taller-in-the-morning/

So losing an inch or so... totally something that can happen, as well as calibration errors.

We do grow and shrink in height every day. This is because of gravity. We lose on average 1/2 inch a day from when we wake up to when we go to bed. The amount all depends your body and how much compression occurs in your spinal column as well as how active you are.

[/url] http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/fact-or-myth-are-you-taller-in-the-morning/

So losing an inch or so... totally something that can happen, as well as calibration errors.
This info blows... My mind

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 169

On 07/18/2018 at 13:39, Matt Z said:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pawmi-StB94?feature=oembed

http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/fact-or-myth-are-you-taller-in-the-morning/

I was 5’7” my whole life , as far as I knew. Hadn’t been measured in years. Was measured by my primary a couple years ago. Now I’m 5’ 5.5”.
It happens. :) 🤷‍♀️😁

5 minutes ago, Screwballski said:

I was 5’7” my whole life , as far as I knew. Hadn’t been measured in years. Was measured by my primary a couple years ago. Now I’m 5’ 5.5”.
It happens. :) 🤷‍♀️😁

LOL yes, age related shrinkage also occurs!