Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

natural vs added sugars

I am still pre op and picking up items here and there to try. I will be seeing my nutritionist again once I'm approved and can/will ask her as well. I'm curious as to whether a certain Soup I tried and really liked is ok. It has 13 g sugar total (3 of which are added, 10 natural) Along those same lines how many grams of natural sugars ARE ok post op? The rule of thumb I was given is to try and stay under 10 grams/serving, but didn't know If that was total or added. Also, if something has say 13 but I am only able to eat a half serving, is that ok? Sorry if I rambled and im really NOT stupid, I swear....lol

Edited by Chrisb428

I am still pre op and picking up items here and there to try. I will be seeing my nutritionist again once I'm approved and can/will ask her as well. I'm curious as to whether a certain Soup I tried and really liked is ok. It has 13 g sugar total (3 of which are added, 10 natural) Along those same lines how many grams of natural sugars ARE ok post op? The rule of thumb I was given is to try and stay under 10 grams/serving, but didn't know If that was total or added. Also, if something has say 13 but I am only able to eat a half serving, is that ok? Sorry if I rambled and im really NOT stupid, I swear....lol

You are going to want to stay under the total amount that was told to you...added or naturally occurring

but you can diluted it with Water, bone broth, reg broth, or find a lower sugar product. This will be especially important post surgery to prevent dumping (RNY) and excess caloric intake (VSG)

And its not a stupid question, be sure to ask your team for further clarity

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 169

@Tealael Thank you for replying. May I ask what guidelines youwere given for sugar? I am planning to have RNY.

[mention=321469]Tealael[/mention] Thank you for replying. May I ask what guidelines youwere given for sugar? I am planning to have RNY.
Sorry just seeing this, I had VSG so different game entirely.

Everything had to be sugar free, early on.

The Protein supplements had to have 3 grams or less of sugar, fat, 150 cals or less and at least 15 grams of protein. That's a very narrow window.
That was during the full liquid diet ,stage 1.

Each following stage built on this in a little until I was eating only solids. But I'm still sugar free. I use stevia, occasionally splenda ,naturally occurring sugars in fruits (this is still not an ever day thing) and very rarely vacation and special occasion food (pastry, birthday cake or I'm my case birthday pancakes lol)
I avoid sugar like its the plague and when I checked my logged foods today I consumed 20 grams, this includes lovely problematic watermelon...

Thank you, I'll need to try to stick to stricter guidelines. I wish there was a bariatric bible all doctors had to follow so everyone was on the same page...lol

Thank you, I'll need to try to stick to stricter guidelines. I wish there was a bariatric bible all doctors had to follow so everyone was on the same page...lol

Me too but after surgery you will know just how much is too much sugar, I can dump even though I have the sleeve...

I generally have kept sugar under 5grams per serving. However, I've eaten a healthy amount of fruit in the past, which I know has well surpassed the 5 grams. I guess for me, I avoid over 5 grams of "added" sugar, even though some things have natural sugar in them, but I look at the label regardless. Some say if it's added sugar, some don't. I don't know how much it would take to dump. I've had something that has 7 grams, as a treat... no dumping. But I'm not testing the waters a lot either.

On 7/15/2018 at 10:31 AM, Chrisb428 said:

My requirements (those given to all WLS for my surgeon/hospital/etc) were no more than 5 grams of sugar or 5 grams of fat if they were any added sugars in the ingredients list. If you've got no sugar listed, it didn't matter what the total was, it was *ONLY* if there was some form of sugar in the ingredients.

It's different for everyone. Even folks on the same diet are going to have different reactions to added sugar amounts. If it works for you, just make sure you go easy on it, you don't want to slowly creep back up, it's easy to go... well, 13 grams was no issue, so 15 shouldn't be... then 15 becomes higher, etc... Not saying it will, just that it could. As soon as you negative a "rule", it doesn't hold the same weight and becomes so much easier to justify.

I'd say, until you are cleared for the "full raw foods", or whatever the last stage you have to be cleared for before you start to venture outside of the prescribed diet restrictions. Just so you've got the full time healing and following their recommendations under your belt and are out of the early stages of healing, just in case there is a problem, if it's on their diet, then it's not your fault if something goes wrong, if that makes sense. Think of it like being under a manufacturers warranty LOL.

Yep, it does have cane sugar as an ingredient. I was looking forward to it on the full liquid phase....the search continues! Lol

So our requirements which I know different than others are under 5 grams of sugar. But we remove sugar alcohols and Fiber. And it has to be under 15 carbs a serving. Also we can have 3 servings of fruit a day. 1 per meal as long as we get in our Protein first but we have to wait until week 6 when we can also have salad