Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Credit Valley Clinic vs. Others?

Hi everyone,

I need some pre-surgical advice!!

I would like to undergo the lapband procedure and have recently met with Dr. Moffat at The Credit Valley Clinic in Mississauga, Ontario(The Credit Valley Clinic - Weight Loss Surgery Program). I have decided to go ahead with the procedure and am really excited about it. However, he first needs me to meet with two others in the clinic before they decide if I get the green light for the procedure. I've read through many of these forums, particularly the Canadian one, and see no mention of Credit Valley, but many many mentions of The Surgical Weight Loss Centre (Drs. Cobourn & Mumford) and the TLBC clinic in Toronto.

Has anyone been banded by The Credit Valley Clinic? Does anyone have any recommendations as to who the best choice of clinic and doctor would be? I just want to make the most informed choice.

Thanks so much for your help and input!! :D

Hmmm I personally have never heard of this clinic. I am not from Ontario though . I had my band done by Dr. Cobourn and am very happy with the entire experience.

I have not heard of this clinic either.

If you have a consult with them, ask how many lap-band procedures the actual surgeon has done and what their personal slippage and erosion rates are. This is a very specific procedure and I would recommend that you have a highly experienced surgeon. Success with the band depends a lot on the clinic follow up.

I have never heard of them either.

If you are out that way, why not looking to Dr. Coburn in Missasauga. There are many happy bandsters from there and TLBC in Toronto on these boards.

Andrew

I was referred to Credit Valley as well but never went to the consult. After speaking to other bandsters and close friends I was comfortable with TLBC and the # of surgeries they have performed already. I like the fact that it is lifetime and they have alot of support etc... I can not comment on CV as being good or bad because I never went to the consult and do not know anyone that had it done there. I would suggest you do your homework and go with the one you are most comfortable with.

I have heard of it but no one has ever posted about having surgery there. Check out the other clinics as well before you decide, and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. Both of the other clinic dr's have done a lot more surgery's, so they have a lot more experience. Good luck with your decision.

Maria :confused:

Do be sure to do your research - you need to be clear what you are buying, what is the follow-up you are getting and how long will they be with you. You may have been referred to

CV, but you have the final say and the folks on this forum are overwhelmingly positive of both the SWLC, and TLBC. Both have impeccable reputations and hundreds, if not more, of successfully placed bands. You may want to ask what type of band they use and why - be very clear in that you are doing the consulting - not the other way around.

Thank you all so much for your input and advice!! It's greatly appreciated! In addition to the consult at The Credit Valley Clinic, I also made an appointment with SLWC so I could compare. My consult at Credit Valley was last week and my appointment with Dr. Mumford is tomorrow! I just had some concerns since I could find no mention of anyone being banded at Credit Valley in this forum. From all the many positive experiences I’ve read about in this forum about Dr. Mumford and SLWC, however, I don’t think I’ll have any problem choosing the right clinic!!

Thanks again for your help! :confused:

Hi!

I was going to go to Credit Valley as well after reading an article but like you I saw nothing on any sites about them. I decided to go to the SWLC instead and met Dr. Mumford. You will love it there and will not want to go anywhere else. The office is fancy and clean and everyone is SOOOO nice! I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and could not be happier.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions!

Yes I too was banded 18 months ago at the SWLC by Dr. Cobourn. I personally feel we are better sticking to a clinic like mine or TLBC where they have a proven track record, you will meet and get support from fellow patients, etc. I know and have met many many bandsters and while I am aware of Credit Valley program I know of no one who has gone there and they do very little at this point. Lapband unlike other weight loss surgery very much involves intense aftercare and you can't go wrong with the top clinics like Surgical Weight Loss Centre and TLBC.