Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CPAP Difficulties Anyone?

I have read that so many are having difficulties with their CPAPs and wanted to share my experience with it.

I had my sleep study, as part of my requirements for the GB on April 2nd, this year. I can honestly share that my CPAP is my best friend.

Before my CPAP I was lazy-tired and sleepy all the time. My libido was gone on vacation and did not even send post cards. I procrastinated on almost everything and had constant Migraines. I was sleeping but not going into REM, so I was not rested.

Now I’m a different person! I’m never home! At 5:30 am I’m up watering my plants and sipping my coffee. My libido is right back where it belongs and working overtime ; ) My house is spotless and I’ve even lost 20 lbs.

I think that how you approach the whole “I have to sleep with a mask on” situation is the key. For me, it came as a surprise when I found out I had it. During my sleep test I had 65 events per hour! I was like WTF? When, how, why, me??? Then just like that I said f**k it. It is what it is. I was not going to let a mask get in between me and my GB, plus it was a requirement. I had posted some of my sleep test on my Snapchat and my cousin texted me to share her sleep apnea experience. She gave me some great advice. She recently lost 102 lbs with no surgery, just wearing her CPAP. She said, “take your time when you go for your measurements and CPAP equipment. Wear your mask a minimum of 7 hours per night. Lock your door when you go to sleep and do NOT let anyone disturb your sleep! Not even yourself with cell phone or tv.”

When I went to get fitted for the mask and pick my equipment I finally picked AirSense 10 AutoSet by ResMed with a AirFit F20 full mask. I did try many out and believe me, I took my sweet time trying them with different pressures, closing my eyes and relaxing to picture myself in bed with the mask on. I believe the tech wanted to choke me at the end, but she was patient and kind.

That afternoon I held a family meeting and laid the new law down.
1) If my door is closed and locked, do NOT knock on my door unless there is a fire or medical emergency! No excuses.
2) Do NOT call my cell phone after 8:00 pm, do NOT text me, do NOT email me. My cell is on silent and I WILL NOT answer.
3) Do NOT make loud noises. If I have to open my door y’all have hell to pay.
4) To my husband, if you wanna play you better be in bed before I put my mask on or wait till I take it of. (Did say it in a sweet way while smiling. For the record he loves it that I don’t snore and has threatened me to steal my CPAP for himself since I sleep so peacefully now and have so much energy)
5) No more babysitting past 8:00 pm! If grandkids are not picked up by then, don’t pick them up. They will be sleeping. ( My grand daughters, ages 10, 9 & 6 know its for my health and the cooperate and add brownie points with Gram Grams)

So far it’s been great. I feel so good and even if I were not getting a GB (which I am this July 30!) I would still use it and recommend it. Reacquaint yourselves with your CPAP. Fall in love with it. Make it your best bud. It truly does help and when you look at it as something benefiting your health, you will open your mind and heart to it. Try out different sleeping positions. Use lots of pillows if needed. I use 7! 3 full sized, 3 squared and on long neck pillow. I use them under my legs and arms and my neck pillow and if you walk in and see me you would laugh your asses out, but it works for me and that’s all that matters. Do what’s best for you. This is your time. Your health. Your life. Give your CPAP a second chance and allow it to change your sleep.

check out CPAP.com for gear as well. I've got a sweet hose management system that makes tossing and turning so much less of an issue.

I've got this for hose management
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/HoseBuddy-CPAP-Hose-Suspension-System.html

I've also got 2 of these on my hose as well (2 because for me, 1 would make a whistle noise in the tube, so 2 worked well)
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/generic-bacteria-filter-cpap-machines-1-pack.html

Although I do not have sleep apnea, I enjoyed your post. Working in the hospital I meet many people that have sleep apnea and are highly resistant to wearing a CPAP at night. Sleep apnea can lead to so many problems.

Thank you for sharing in such a fun and informative way.

Thank you so much, for your feedback and the work you do at the hospital.