Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's hear some normal poop stories

I've heard of Syrup of Figs. Even found a recipe for it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/syrup-of-figs-for-constipation-2109755

My grandfather Adams was born in 1905 and lived to be 88. His father, Robert, died after he was thrown from a horse when my grandfather was just 5 years old. My grandmother, Diantha, was left with four young children to raise on her own. Illiterate and poor, she worked her fingers to the bone. They lived on a small farm in New Boston, Missouri. The youngest child, my grandfather's brother, William, become tangled in the ropes used to tie him into his high chair and died at 18 months. Sometimes we need to hear about the unfortunate lives of others to realize how good we have it -- Constipation and all.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

You know there. is something,about your postings that makes me feel you may become a treasured friend. There is somehow a darkness and concern. Thank you for that. Hearing of William does make you sad for a young life cut short so soon. I had a great grand uncle whose name was Jehu Harper, I always thought the name was pretty. People these days,say it should be pronounced,Yay-Hoo,my family always said Jay- Hugh. Anyway he also died at your Williams age, he tipped his mother's wash boiler over on himself and was scalded. These days they could have rushed him to a burn center and,he would live But I'm sure he was in agony before he died. You're right the good old days were not always that good. Perhaps from Diantha you inherited your strong,spirit that brought you through all the calamities of your own life and helped you to stand strong now., Have a good rest of today and a beautiful tomorrow.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:03 PM, toodlerue said:

I’m constipated all the time! That’s my new normal. I’m only 6 weeks out so I’m not eating a variety of foods yet, I’m too scared to do that. I just keep taking stool softeners & Miralax which takes a couple of days to work.

I'm 6 weeks out and am constipated too. I take the stool softeners daily and Miralax on weekends. I didn't realize there was a possibility of having uncontrollable bowl movements!

I did,not say darkness I said a deepness of thought and concern, oh how I wish I still could edit my pistings, the original alpha system on the Bariatric Pall Android app I could for up to 2 hours, with,5he beta it is gone forever. This is why you will often see subsequent postings from me. And even when my post is short enough,to can see it all, this demented phone still screws things up. This time it even deleted part of a phrase. Sorry.

Something I find odd, I had always heard we bypasses as well as our MGB and SIPS brethren tended towards diarrhea and flatulence whereas our sleeved cousins were the ones with Constipation, yet I'm seeing a lot of over-firm here. Are the P.R. people wrong?

It took me exactly 1 month to normalize.
Prior to that I never felt full in control. Now, everything is A-okay!

Normal poops for me too. I do have bad gas but no “shart” experiences. I go on average every day, if I am stopped up for a couple days then I’ll poop like all day one day and loose a pound at least! My poops are soft but not diarrhea. I used to have bad Constipation prior to surgery, but I don’t anymore. I take a regimented Fiber dose every day.

6 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

You know there. is something,about your postings that makes me feel you may become a treasured friend. There is somehow a darkness and concern. Thank you for that. Hearing of William does make you sad for a young life cut short so soon. I had a great grand uncle whose name was Jehu Harper, I always thought the name was pretty. People these days,say it should be pronounced,Yay-Hoo,my family always said Jay- Hugh. Anyway he also died at your Williams age, he tipped his mother's wash boiler over on himself and was scalded. These days they could have rushed him to a burn center and,he would live But I'm sure he was in agony before he died. You're right the good old days were not always that good. Perhaps from Diantha you inherited your strong,spirit that brought you through all the calamities of your own life and helped you to stand strong now., Have a good rest of today and a beautiful tomorrow.

I'm flattered that you see a treasured friend in me. I think you're a gem, too.

I loved your original word choice "darkness". That suits me just fine. I tend to have a dark sense of humor so I enjoyed that observation.

Speaking of Diantha, I did inherit something from her. I'm in my late 50s and have yet to sprout a gray hair. I use cheap Shampoo and pretty much just comb it. Diantha lived into her 80s and never had any gray hair. My adult daughter and younger sister didn't inherit what I did, unfortunately. They both have plenty of gray. I come from a family of blondes and red-heads. My hair is brown with reddish-gold highlights.

Miralax and Glycolax contain polyethylene glycol (PEG) 3350 which is a petroleum derivative; it’s essentially a liquid plastic.

Additional inexpensive and kinder alternatives:

Magnesium Citrate Magnesium is nature’s muscle relaxer. If you’re constipated, magnesium really gets things moving.

Blackstrap Molasses – A tablespoon of molasses before bedtime can ease Constipation symptoms the next morning, due to its high levels of magnesium.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your normal poop stories. I'm feeling a little better about my surgery on Wednesday, just shows the positive potential a community of bypassers has. Keep up the very excellent work.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using BariatricPal mobile app

MO-Lee's Summit we have yet another thing in common. My grandmother Are Blanche Priest Week let was cut from the same bolt of cloth as Diantha, raised 11 of her 12 babies with infrequent help,from Grandpa Charlie an alcoholic farmer. She never grayed either but with the hardscabble existence she,led she should have been white haired or tore it all out. I liked her, a little rough to some but she had a lot,of love for me. She had oodles of grandbabies, maybe40-45 I never did total up how,many.My parents were 32 and almost 30 when i was born, my daddy was midway in Ada's children, so I have 1st cousins with children as Old or older than me.
I was fearful you would take the darkness as me meaning there was a hole, void in your soul from your childhood sorrows and the sins commuted against you. OMG I thought you have lost your new friend already. I too have dark places to me, not quite the same but many facets similar, many blows to my spirit and yes scars that had to heal but, you know I have. Grandma Ada and my other Grandma Cora's spirit, not easy lives for either but they were strong women who survived and I will continue,surviving,also. Grandma Cora was the first woman voter registered in this county . When women received the vote, she told Grandpa Hugh, hitch up the horses , we are going to town , I want to register to vote. And she was the firstf in line on that important day. Before that time only women who could vote were in Wyoming . Glad Ohio and the remaining states saw the light. And I don't think I have missed a time since in was old enough.

The family names are Weekley and Hubbell,is you know any with those names they are,my kinfolk. Families kept moving west, my,own uncle Ray Hubbell relocated to Kingsburg California. My greatgrandparent Hubbell relocated for a while to Missouri, nut over on the Mississippi River side. Even lived in a sodie. Great grandma Sallie Belle (legal name Sarah Isabelle) got mad at the children always dragging rocks inside so swept,them all into the fireplace, good thing she had a dirt floor, they were geodes and exploded. Her birthday was one day after mine, 12/27 as opposed to 12/26, think I would have liked her, sounds like something I might have done myself!

I’m a couple months out. I haven’t had diarrhea since the surgery, and have BMs every day to every other day. Once I was able to add more Fiber in my diet, it was great. I carry poo-pouri with me, and I’m sure my family and coworkers appreciate it. I did suffer from awful diarrhea when I was on my two week pre-op liquid diet. Thank goodness that part is over. I will say that now my gas smells absolutely awful. I get a warning rumble and have always had time to walk away. But that has definitely been a big change. I’m counting on that improving as my diet is allowed to be changed.

Six months out and no poop woes! Just have to be careful that you’re getting enough fiber so you’re not constipated. The only time I’ve had issues is if a slight onset of dumping but that is only happened one or two times. Good luck tomorrow!

I had diabetes and technically still do till I hit the 6months with no medication and controlled number of 90. I will tell you that I take nothing for blood sugar control and my number 90-95range since 2days post op. (Keeping in mind I’m baby post op at day 6days lol) it’s amazing to feel free of the medication.
As for poo I had my first one this morning. It had zero form to it. Beware TMI coming. It was more like a small black/very dark brown pile of poo flakes.
But I took 15ml of MOM last night since it had been I believe since the 18th I had one.
I’m not sure what is ahead in the poo future but I can tell you right now I’m free.