Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking/Weight Gain

On 6/20/2018 at 2:42 PM, teresa-ark-grannie said:

Hello, fellow stop smoking friends,

I hardly post because i have been feeling like a failure...yep the stop smoking has been an issue for me also. I can say this where I have been a 2 pack a day smoker for 38 years I have managed to be able to go 2 weeks without one then I will buy a pack that pack will last 7-9 days and I will not buy another for 2 weeks ... yes I know this sounds crazy but its like if I don't a pack nearby I begin to panic and go crazy............I have just finished my last pack and have vowed not to buy another one...... I have my last pre-opt appointment with surgeon and psych eval on July 10th. the doc says we will be setting the date for bypass on that date. this whole thing has been a process sleep study, colonoscopy, stress test, heart cath to be told nothing was wrong with my heart very scary and traumatising. trying to lose weight and trying to quit smoking. taking that 2-hour drive to little rock for these appointments. plus appointments with my doc here and I haven't even had the surgery yet. I am a little high strung anyway so this proccess has been very overwhelming to say the least. but thank God i think we have finally reach the finsh line where this thing will be on a popping. It really helped my to read thes post and find out that i was not by myself .....it gives me the hope and assurance that i can do this my doctor or insurance is not saying anything about it but i dont want to go through all of this get the finish line and be cancelled because i am still smoking . hell nah not going out that way.......I had lost 7 big pounds but gain them back trying to quit smoking. I did tell my doc it is because have quit smoking and he as ok with that saying ti was more important to be a non smoker .

Glad I'm not the only one who has this problem

Love love love the picture. Someone should start a thread for you guys who are fighting Bed Nicotein tooth and nail. Even though up a title PUFF NO-MORE!
Much love to you all, I am not a Nicotein fiend, having too much trouble being a reforming food-a-holic😝👍

I can only tell you what I did.
I, too, had to quit for surgery. I haven’t gone back.
I quit the day after my consult. I transferred my cig obsession to a calorie/carb/protein counting obsession so I stayed compliant as far as not gaining weight before surgery.
I tracked everything I put in my mouth and began living my life as if I’d already had surgery. 90 grams of Protein per day, very strict low carb...like under 60/day! Never went over 1100 calories. Instead of gaining weight, I lost 30 pounds and got really prepared for my post surgery life.

It was hard but it made this side super easy.
And, it kept me so busy on the food end, I didn’t have time to worry about smoking.
When I really wanted a smoke, I took a brisk walk and just breathed the air.
Truly, I wish you the best.  It’s difficult.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches