Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 6 Weight Fluctuations

So I weighed in a couple days ago at 285, then yesterday at 274. Weighed in today, 280. Is this normal to fluctuate like that? Does it go back down again? The scale we bought is digital but supposed to be, and seems to be, very accurate as long as you stand on the right spot. There is no way I gained 6 pounds overnight, I am still on a strict diet and eating very healthy PLUS working out. I stopped working out over the weekend though because I was in a ton of pain. But I took mini breaks before and never gained. I don't know how to feel right now.

1 minute ago, Emersyn said:

So I weighed in a couple days ago at 285, then yesterday at 274. Weighed in today, 280. Is this normal to fluctuate like that? Does it go back down again? The scale we bought is digital but supposed to be, and seems to be, very accurate as long as you stand on the right spot. There is no way I gained 6 pounds overnight, I am still on a strict diet and eating very healthy PLUS working out. I stopped working out over the weekend though because I was in a ton of pain. But I took mini breaks before and never gained. I don't know how to feel right now.

Fluctuations are common. Maybe not that much, but it's possible. When you use the scale, do you leave it in 1 spot or do you pick it up and/or move it around? If you move it, that can cause scales to need to be calibrated, which can take 3-5 consecutive weights before it's back to being more accurate.

Now, with working out, you are gaining muscle mass and retaining Water in those muscles while they repair... so it's sorta normal to gain while working out at first. It will eventually turn around, just keep tracking your intake, keep your water intake as high as you can (64-128oz), our bodies can't process fat if it doesn't have enough water.

Are you tracking body fat % as well?

23 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Fluctuations are common. Maybe not that much, but it's possible. When you use the scale, do you leave it in 1 spot or do you pick it up and/or move it around? If you move it, that can cause scales to need to be calibrated, which can take 3-5 consecutive weights before it's back to being more accurate.

Now, with working out, you are gaining muscle mass and retaining Water in those muscles while they repair... so it's sorta normal to gain while working out at first. It will eventually turn around, just keep tracking your intake, keep your Water intake as high as you can (64-128oz), our bodies can't process fat if it doesn't have enough water.

Are you tracking body fat % as well?

I am currently only able to drink 35-40 ounces a day. I am working up to 64 as much as possible. I did talk to a nurse who said it was probably a faulty scale, so we are gonna get a different one. I would track body fat but idk how at home. My trainer has me do it at the gym every few weeks however. So I have not seen it this month yet.

Thank you!

13 minutes ago, Emersyn said:

I am currently only able to drink 35-40 ounces a day. I am working up to 64 as much as possible. I did talk to a nurse who said it was probably a faulty scale, so we are gonna get a different one. I would track body fat but idk how at home. My trainer has me do it at the gym every few weeks however. So I have not seen it this month yet.

Thank you!

Do you move your scale around? I know the digital ones they don't want you to pick them up because it can cause them to become uncalibrated. If you are in the market for a scale, they sell them with body fat measurement options. They might not be 100% accurate, but it gives you another data set to track trends with (IE if you start at X body fat %, then that number keeps going down... you are losing body fat, doesn't really matter if the starting number or drop amounts are 100% accurate, as long as that number keeps decreasing, you know you are losing body fat).

Work on getting that Water number up more, our bodies need a certain amount just to stay alive, we need more to process fat. Are you having issues due to taste or just the act of consuming fluids are still giving you some issues?

Yeah the scale is just super touchy. And as far as Water goes it's more that I can't drink too much at once or it hurts. So it's a struggle. :/ I can usually take in about 2 big gulps without issue. But then life gets busy and I can't drink every 10 minutes so I get all turned around. Haha