Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your favorite, but hated Stereotypes...

Oh, I was just thinking about this. When my ninemsn page opened when I turned on the computer, there's an article about Fabio and George Clooney battling it out as heart throbs. I thought I'd pick George any day, he looks sophisticated, urbane, stylish, and attractively mature, whereas Fabio looks like a big dumb f..k. Especially because he speaks broken, halting accented English, which of course means he's an imbecile, right?

Then I thought HOW unfair is that? I dont even know him. That's probably how half the blonde, attractive women out there are treated too. Everyone assumes they're dumb.

That would drive anyone nuts, if they were of average or above average intelligence. I dont think having the body or the looks scores you so many brownie points - sometimes its an advantage but many times its not.

Its not only fat people or ugly people who get stereotyped and its not only beautiful people who fit all our constructions of normal who do the stereotyping either. We all do it.

Im a natural blonde (but I usually highlight so that I dont have the dishwater look). Ive had professors pass over my opinions in classes and TOTALLY either ignore my comment OR just not answer my raised hand (sometimes the ONLY raised hand). I knew it was because I was a blond. I lived on the beach, but for some reason I was usually the only blonde (bleach or real) in my Political Science classes. I usually had t prove myself through the first assignment (usually writing) in order to get any respect as a VERY intelligent blonde female! Once they read my writing they paid me a little more respect, but I still would get passed over for a darker haired alternative answer. It usually took me all semester to gain the professor's respect in class. They never docked my grade or anything, just acted like whatever I had to say couldnt possibly be applicable or intelligent, but I was usually the one that would end up solving A LOT of tough political problems in class! I admit that I like to keep my head in the clouds a lot, but thats because Im creative, when Im thinking about something, Im thinking about it from all perspectives all angles etc...NOT WHAT COLOR IM GONNA PAINT MY NAILS THAT NIGHT! UGH! I guess it doesnt help that Ive been referred to as a thicker Paris Hilton. Just because I like to wear heels, full makeup, fix my hair, and wear nice clothes and carry designer handbags and have a pink computer DOES NOT MEAN that Im an idiot, it means that im GIRLY!

I really really hate that because I am white, middle class with a private education behind me, and a nice comfy 6 figure family income, people assume I am a snob.

I absolutely loathe people assuming I will think a certain way because of how I grew up.

That is soooooooo true, and that happens to me a lot, and I hate it.

Wow, Ive never considered being able to afford a private education or having a six figure income middle class.....I grew up middle class, my parents combined dont make a six figure income (its close, but not quite there). I went to public school, had to drop out of college because I am Middle Class, cant afford to pay for college and the government doesnt want to help. I never went without, dont get me wrong, but Im just saying that I wouldnt consider a six-figure income middle-class ??? Upper-Middle maybe

I don't think I look like one either. Of course that would be difficult, what with my Y chromosome and all. :biggrin1:

Seriously though, I do get the "You don't act Gay." That one kills me. People think I should be able to arrange flowers, decorate everyone's house and put women's hair up fabulous updos. Sorry, I can't do any of those. My DH is even more frustrating to folks who stereotype. He drives a big butch pickup truck (and can actually work on it to boot!), keeps up with every sport imaginable (particularly football) and yet can bake the best pies and cheesecakes you've ever put in your mouth. Boy, I'm glad being Gay doesn't define us...

Well, that's because "all gay men have tract lighting, all gay men are named Mark, Rick or Steve" - have you NOT seen Steel Magnolias?! ;) My brother gets the "You don't act Gay" or "You don't look Gay" all the time. He's a cop - he's on a SWAT team at that. His response is often "Oh - I'm sorry, I forgot to burst into flames before walking in the room so you would have a firm grasp on my personal life - this is my undercover policeman disguise!" :)

Wow, Ive never considered being able to afford a private education or having a six figure income middle class.....I grew up middle class, my parents combined dont make a six figure income (its close, but not quite there). I went to public school, had to drop out of college because I am Middle Class, cant afford to pay for college and the government doesnt want to help. I never went without, dont get me wrong, but Im just saying that I wouldnt consider a six-figure income middle-class ??? Upper-Middle maybe

It depends on where you live, really - in some areas, 6 figures just gets you into "middle class"

ok, so we are Mormon and when it comes up in conversation we people always assume my husband has more than one wife!

I have never met a Mormon with more than one wife! I have never met anyone with more than one wife for that matter.

It depends on where you live, really - in some areas, 6 figures just gets you into "middle class"

I do suppose thats true as well...I had actually thot about that right after I posted, but was in a hurry to get to a Dr.'s Appt

6 figures in Australia is less in American isn't it? It's been a while since I was there, but I thought $1.5 Australian about is $1 American..

There's somewhere in Florida where if you make less than 50m you're not upper class.

Depends on where you are, certainly :P

Well, that's because "all gay men have tract lighting, all gay men are named Mark, Rick or Steve" - have you NOT seen Steel Magnolias?! :P My brother gets the "You don't act Gay" or "You don't look Gay" all the time. He's a cop - he's on a SWAT team at that. His response is often "Oh - I'm sorry, I forgot to burst into flames before walking in the room so you would have a firm grasp on my personal life - this is my undercover policeman disguise!" :)
Dude, that's awesome! Your brother sounds like he'd be a great guy to know.

Im a natural blonde (but I usually highlight so that I dont have the dishwater look). Ive had professors pass over my opinions in classes and TOTALLY either ignore my comment OR just not answer my raised hand (sometimes the ONLY raised hand). I knew it was because I was a blond. I lived on the beach, but for some reason I was usually the only blonde (bleach or real) in my Political Science classes. I usually had t prove myself through the first assignment (usually writing) in order to get any respect as a VERY intelligent blonde female! Once they read my writing they paid me a little more respect, but I still would get passed over for a darker haired alternative answer. It usually took me all semester to gain the professor's respect in class. They never docked my grade or anything, just acted like whatever I had to say couldnt possibly be applicable or intelligent, but I was usually the one that would end up solving A LOT of tough political problems in class! I admit that I like to keep my head in the clouds a lot, but thats because Im creative, when Im thinking about something, Im thinking about it from all perspectives all angles etc...NOT WHAT COLOR IM GONNA PAINT MY NAILS THAT NIGHT! UGH! I guess it doesnt help that Ive been referred to as a thicker Paris Hilton. Just because I like to wear heels, full makeup, fix my hair, and wear nice clothes and carry designer handbags and have a pink computer DOES NOT MEAN that Im an idiot, it means that im GIRLY!

I'm a natural blonde too who add lowlights every month so that the natural blonde looks like the highlights. I like looking like a girl, and work in a male dominated industry where I am not expected to be technical because I am a blonde female! Sheesh it gets boring, but I have fun letting them stagger through before I jump in to resolve an issue.

I am a natural strawberry blonde who worked for years building aircraft and was treated like a bimbo. I had a lot of fun using this stereotype to my advantage once I got over my initial frustration with it. I did go through a period of dying my hair red and during that time the men quickly forgave me my hissy fits. They used to say "what can you expect? Redheads had tempers." :heh: And so I got to profit from another stereotype. :)

This kind of goes with this thread, did anyone watch the 2 part Tyra Body Image special where all kinds of different women all got together, and based JUST on how they looked they gave each one a label. It was FANTASTIC! I loved the way that the thinnest (and rudest) one got the "fat slob"(it was the only stereotype left when it was her turn)! I thought it was hilarious, everyone else used nicer terms to describe people in their initial interviews, but SHE used the most horrible term "fat slob" and then got stuck with it. But watching that episode was a marvelous thing, just thinking about how people perceive you...one lady was labeled "unhealthy" BUT when it all came down to the end, turns out she had lost like OVER 200lbs (gastric bypass)...well Im not going to go on and on, just watch it, it really brings you to life about what we think about others just by looking at them.

I have a number that I dislike, and some that I find completely laughable!!

She doesn't look like a lesbian...as oppose to whom.

All black men have large....that is absurd and laughable

All fat people are nice...have you met me

So your saying I can't tell women I am black from waste down anymore :P :P

So your saying I can't tell women I am black from waste down anymore :P :P

LOL!!! My ex-fiance used to tell me that, and then we started, "you know" and I found out he's 13 from the waste down lol!!!!