Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will it stop hurting to drink water?

For taking in air while drinking you need to adjust how you take in fluids, which for me was tough after decades of doing it one way. I'm 3 months out and still will take in air if I'm not careful. What I do is take the Water in my mouth, exhale through the nose and swallow. My wife would giggle as I drank, but I have got it down to where almost no one notices. Good luck.

1 hour ago, Elle E said:

I had my surgery on Tuesday. Today is Friday. I'm home now, I'm walking, I'm taking my meds as indicated. That's all fine and dandy. But drinking Water is hard. I'm thirsty, but it's super uncomfortable to drink the Water. Part of the issue is that no matter how careful I am, I manage to swallow air. So then I have to wait for those bubbles to come back up so I can take another sip. When will that start to not hurt so much?

It’ll pass soon. I started slow and I can chug almost 16 ounce bottle now!

Try hot Water. I couldn’t drink cold water either for first month or so!
Hot water or Decaf tea works!

Everyone is different but I'm six Months post up and I still can't take a big sip of Water. Its not painful anymore but still uncomfortable. The few weeks were rough for me but it did get better. Hang in there!

I'm 7 weeks out from surgery and Water is still a bit uncomfortable to drink in the morning or a large gulp. It sucks though because I absolutely love water, I'm always thirsty. I can say though that it definitely has gotten better day by day. Guess it just takes time.

I’m six months out and I can do a prolonged sip, where Water just trickles steadily down my throat, with no pain. Even if it hurts when I drink too much water too quickly, it’s temporary.

I did not have any problem with Water. My daughter did though. She says that she still has problems once in a while. She is almost a year out. I do have problem with certain foods though. They don’t make me sick but I do feel like I ate too much after a couple of bites My daughter said it was because I ate too fast. That was not it though. I am very careful about the amount of time it takes to eat.

Hope you feel better soon. I was one of the lucky ones. I did not have any problems with my surgery. I feel so bad for the ones who did.

I know PreSurgery I hate tinklewarm Water, will it be different afterwards? I bet not but who,knows? I also now like Cold Propel water, costs more but the thought of electrolytes is nice. Favorite flavors so far, strawberry Kiwi and Black Cherry. But Yeeps it's almost $6 package. That and Protein Drinks are going to nickel and dime me into oblivion.💦

I actually found some sugar free Gatorade at a gas station that helped me feel so much better today. I had zero energy and felt sluggish and thought I might be getting dehydrated. After drinking some Gatorade I felt much better

I had my sleeve in August and I still can’t drink pure Water. In a pinch (like a restaurant) I’ll sip on it but my daily water has to have crystal light or it’s painful. Sometimes even the CL water is. It’s a thing but I don’t know why.

For me, at this stage, I used a shot glass or the little cup that comes with liquid cold medicine. I used a I cup glass measuring cup as a pitcher. This way i could track intake, and also pour just a shot easily. I would take me 3-4 sips a few minutes apart to finish a shot. Good luck.