Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating everything in moderation



Recommended Posts

i have not found any food that i used to eat that is not tolerated now.

couldn't stand the smell of coconut before and can't stand the smell now so nope nothing changed :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m almost 2 month’s post op. I have not had any issues so far with eating. Very small quantities. It is incredible that I used to be able to eat a 24 oz. bone in ribeye. Now with 2 oz. I am satisfied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the past couple of weeks everything has been good.

Starting on solid food initially I had some things I couldn't eat, mostly fish and chicken that was a little dry but I've had good luck. Admittedly I'm not introducing a whole lot of new foods at once but what I am eating I'm tolerating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got issues with certain levels of sugar and fats. Some foods I can eat, don't cause dumping but make me feel crappy afterwards. Some foods cause dumping that I never expected (Tomato soup)... but for the most part, I can eat small amounts of foods, I stay away from anything that has added sugars /fats if those totals are over 5 grams per serving. I don't worry about natural sugars and fats.

It's amazing, I would eat 2 sandwiches, packed full, with chips and a drink and be hungry within an hour, now, I eat 1 low cal/low carb/ wrap with 2-3 slices of low fat, low sodium luncheon meat with 1 piece of cheese and That's it... and I'm more than good.

Edited by Matt Z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

I've got issues with certain levels of sugar and fats. Some foods I can eat, don't cause dumping but make me feel crappy afterwards. Some foods cause dumping that I never expected (Tomato soup)... but for the most part, I can eat small amounts of foods, I stay away from anything that has added sugars /fats if those totals are over 5 grams per serving. I don't worry about natural sugars and fats.

It's amazing, I would eat 2 sandwiches, packed full, with chips and a drink and be hungry within an hour, now, I eat 1 low cal/low carb/ wrap with 2-3 slices of low fat, low sodium luncheon meat with 1 piece of cheese and That's it... and I'm more than good.

Could be the sodium in the Tomato Soup (I'm assuming it's shelf bought?). I've got a really good recipe for a homemade if you'd be willing to give it shot. Do you dump with anything else acidic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, jrsone said:

For the past couple of weeks everything has been good.

Starting on solid food initially I had some things I couldn't eat, mostly fish and chicken that was a little dry but I've had good luck. Admittedly I'm not introducing a whole lot of new foods at once but what I am eating I'm tolerating.

Some people might scold me, but I still sauce things, especially meats. I use sugar free BBQ Sauce, low fat ranch, low sodium gravy, A-1 sauce, ect. It helps get the meats down. I say as long as you measure and include it in your calorie/fat intake for the day, its worth a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AshAsh1 said:

Could be the sodium in the Tomato Soup (I'm assuming it's shelf bought?). I've got a really good recipe for a homemade if you'd be willing to give it shot. Do you dump with anything else acidic?

I wish I could narrow it down... I assumed it was the added sugars. I've eaten some items with higher sodium and not had an issue. Could be a combination of the sugar, sodium and acids from the tomatoes... Going to be one of those "experiments" that needs to happen... I love Tomato soup!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, AshAsh1 said:

Some people might scold me, but I still sauce things, especially meats. I use sugar free BBQ Sauce, low fat ranch, low sodium gravy, A-1 sauce, ect. It helps get the meats down. I say as long as you measure and include it in your calorie/fat intake for the day, its worth a shot.

We were told that sauces were our friends for dry meats. LIke, my nutritionists advise it LOL. I use yogurt dressings, balsamics, or some naturally sweetened with honey ketchup, much smaller amounts that pre-op though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Matt Z said:

I wish I could narrow it down... I assumed it was the added sugars. I've eaten some items with higher sodium and not had an issue. Could be a combination of the sugar, sodium and acids from the tomatoes... Going to be one of those "experiments" that needs to happen... I love Tomato soup!

Oh yea, I didn't think about the sugars. I didn't realize that Tomato Soup has added sugar. But, I guess I have to be careful with Pasta Sauce as well. It always amazes me how much added sugar is in everything. But when people make things from scratch, for example Pasta sauce, do they really think to add sugar? Maybe, but I don't.

2 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

We were told that sauces were our friends for dry meats. LIke, my nutritionists advise it LOL. I use yogurt dressings, balsamics, or some naturally sweetened with honey ketchup, much smaller amounts that pre-op though.

I guess I hear it one of two ways. People always talk about the calorie content of Condiments, but I was also recommended to add sauces. To each their own!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, AshAsh1 said:

Oh yea, I didn't think about the sugars. I didn't realize that Tomato Soup has added sugar. But, I guess I have to be careful with Pasta Sauce as well. It always amazes me how much added sugar is in everything. But when people make things from scratch, for example Pasta sauce, do they really think to add sugar? Maybe, but I don't.

I guess I hear it one of two ways. People always talk about the calorie content of Condiments, but I was also recommended to add sauces. To each their own!

So much added sugar, in like EVERYTHING! For the homemade, I guess it depends on what you are going for, I typically don't add sugar to my pasts sauce, but, I'm not using sub par ingredients that need flavor balancing / correction to be palatable like the mass produced stuff does.

I guess if we aren't careful or don't purchase condiments/sauces specifically for our WLS then it could be an issue... or like most, people don't bother to calculate the proper amount of each and just slather it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

So much added sugar, in like EVERYTHING! For the homemade, I guess it depends on what you are going for, I typically don't add sugar to my pasts sauce, but, I'm not using sub par ingredients that need flavor balancing / correction to be palatable like the mass produced stuff does.

I guess if we aren't careful or don't purchase condiments/sauces specifically for our WLS then it could be an issue... or like most, people don't bother to calculate the proper amount of each and just slather it on.

I wouldn't say I cook blandly, but since the surgery I'm not as adventurous with flavors as I used to be. I used to like spicy things and now I steer clear. Probably because I had something early on that was so spicy it made me start coughing and I felt desperate for a drink. I haven't wanted to repeat this.

I don't buy specific WLS Condiments, but I do measure. I also look at the labels and buy mostly natural ingredients and yogurt based salad dressings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, AshAsh1 said:

I wouldn't say I cook blandly, but since the surgery I'm not as adventurous with flavors as I used to be. I used to like spicy things and now I steer clear. Probably because I had something early on that was so spicy it made me start coughing and I felt desperate for a drink. I haven't wanted to repeat this.

I don't buy specific WLS Condiments, but I do measure. I also look at the labels and buy mostly natural ingredients and yogurt based salad dressings.

See, I still try all sorts of spices, just only when I'm home "Just in case"
The Condiments are specifically listed as for WLS, but they are low cal, low/no sugar, low/no carb, etc options. Just following the nutritional guidelines etc. The yogurt dressings I find with the other health food veggies in the market. The natural honey sweetened ketchup is by Heinz... etc etc. Just label surfing for the best options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Matt Z said:

See, I still try all sorts of spices, just only when I'm home "Just in case"
The Condiments are specifically listed as for WLS, but they are low cal, low/no sugar, low/no carb, etc options. Just following the nutritional guidelines etc. The yogurt dressings I find with the other health food veggies in the market. The natural honey sweetened ketchup is by Heinz... etc etc. Just label surfing for the best options.

I might order some Condiments from this website, because I've saved up points that I didn't know existed until last week. I've got at least $25 off right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×