Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m scheduled for sleeve surgery on June 22. I’m type 2 diabetic. I take metformin but it doesn’t control my sugar levels enough. I eat very healthily but still have high sugars in the morning and slightly high before meals.

My endocrinologist first added Farxiga but I developed side effects and it didn’t help the sugars.

Next she put me on Glipizide. That worked great - until today when I experienced my first ever low blood sugar event. Almost passed out! Very shaky. Scared me!

So now with a pre-op diet and surgery around the corner I’m worried about this happening again and again. Any advice? Do certain foods or eating patterns trigger it?

Your NUT should have had a long conversation with you about reducing your meds per your primary care doctors orders. You should give them a call.

I am insulin dependent or type 1 how ever you want to look at it. I have been on insulin forever so I will be on insulin for ever. I am allowed to lower my units as I am losing weight before my surgery. I will be on a much lower amount durning 15 day pre-op diet and after. I use this rule of thumb now
6 meals = 200 calories each very low carbs, very low sugar if any.
Good luck.

On the day I was discharged from the hospital my Endocrinologist eliminated my four diabetes medications . She said with the weight loss you wont need them. She was right my type 2 diabetes is gone. I hope to continue to keep the weight off and to better my health.

Not doing what's popular just doing what's Right.

No one told me to reduce my diabetic meds while on the pre-op diet, but when my sugar tanked, I adjusted it myself. I am 1.5 months post bypass and am down 40 lbs since the first of the year, 20 lbs since 1 week prior to surgery. Sugar is running between 120 to 150. Endo says no meds unless I go over 180. Haven't. I am hoping to be med free as the weight comes off. This was the most important reason I went forward with WLS - to control type II diabetes. It is a work in progress.

You should be off Glipizide while on liquid diet pre-op and post-op. It can cause lows (especially dangerous at night!) and potentially do more harm than good. Metformin is usually fine.

Talk to your endocrinologist and your surgeon.

I was on Lantus, Victoza, metformin, and Invokana. The Lantus I was able to stop before the three week-pre-op diet (slowly decreased as blood sugars got better), the Invokana I stopped during the three weeks pre-op, the metformin the surgeon had me stop the day of surgery (night before was last dose), and now I am waiting to be told I can wean off the Victoza (six weeks post-op). My morning sugars are between 90 and 120.

They did take me off the glibiside before the pre-op diet and then the metformin two days before surgery. Now I’m on day three post op and monitoring my levels. So far all normal without anything. Once I start adding food that may change but so happy with this so far!
It’s been a long time since my morning sugar was well within the normal range!