Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone NOT go back to drinking coffee?

My program wants me to refrain from coffee for 6 months after surgery. Ive recently come to the conclusion that it would probably be in my best interest to not return to drinking it at all. Here's the thing: I love coffee but I'm pretty sure coffee doesn't love me back. I get heartburn often, but not on the rare days I miss getting my cup in. (no GERD per the EGD) The same thing with a general feeling of bloat and being gassy. Since these are problems I'm looking to avoid post sleeve maybe I need to say goodbye to my friend coffee. I also thought since the acid from coffee isnt good for your tooth enamel, and supplementing Calcium for bone and teeth health is vital after surgery that staying away from coffee will be better for my dental health anyway.

6ca2d50696567169904ca0d66858faed.jpg

I am not going back. I use to drink an array of coffee styles drinks and they’re just empty calories.

3 minutes ago, Bryn910 said:

I am not going back. I use to drink an array of coffee styles drinks and they’re just empty calories.

Too true. I didn't even think about the calories I add to my cup, but there it is - one more reason.

Now I have seen where people add Protein Drink to their black coffee without anything else which I think is fine. I just don’t like the taste.

I tried to like tea...but yea, that was gross lol

I don’t think I am going back. 😢 I was told no caffeine for the first few months so switched to Decaf but it just tastes funny. Plus I have been having GERD issues since surgery so I think it is in my best interest to give it up. I miss it so much!!

I gave it up and haven’t gone back. Don’t miss it. The first week I was homicidal lol but since been great

I switched to Decaf teas

No soda or coffee

I have a cup every now and then... but only 8oz. I don't mind a little empty calories sometimes. I only drink coffee when i'm sick of Water. It's probably one every two weeks I'll have a cup.

I hate coffee breath & was never a big coffee drinker before surgery either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I love coffee and have it nearly every morning with 1/3 of a Caramel Premier Protien shake it in. 10 grams of Protein for 53 calories....and it tastes as good as Starbucks. (particularly when I use Starbucks. LOL)

I dunno. Can't beat that bang for the buck. I usually need to be up a couple hours before I'm ready to eat real food, and it hits the spot and gets the motor running. Have gotten so used to it, I'll never go back. Love it.

Totally ok to skip coffee, though.....Probably better for you in the long run if it's upsetting your stomach!

But for me.....the good outweighs the bad.

"Coffee is a rich source of disease-fighting antioxidants. And studies have shown that it may reduce cavities, improve moods, and stop headaches -- not to mention reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, colon cancer, liver cancer, gall stones, cirrhosis of the liver, and Parkinson's diseases."

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-buzz-on-coffee#1

Edited by Creekimp13

Creekimp13 I drink mine the same way. I use the vanilla Premier Protein also. I agree just like a SB coffee.< br />
I may go back to Decaf after my 6 months is up. But I hope I will just not want it anymore by that time. 👀 eye opener we will see

I had an ulcer I didn't know about and I was drinking coffee every morning with Premier Protein for sweetener and Creamer and tea in the afternoon. The caffeine caused the ulcer to rupture. So I switched to Decaf. Now if I ever drink real coffee my arms get all funny and I feel like my heart is racing.

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

I should mention I spent 4 days in the hospital and missed more than 2 weeks of work for the ruptured ulcer. It was on a seam and leaked into my system.

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

I love coffee and have it nearly every morning with 1/3 of a Caramel Premier Protien shake it in. 10 grams of Protein for 53 calories....and it tastes as good as Starbucks. (particularly when I use Starbucks. LOL)

I dunno. Can't beat that bang for the buck. I usually need to be up a couple hours before I'm ready to eat real food, and it hits the spot and gets the motor running. Have gotten so used to it, I'll never go back. Love it.

Totally ok to skip coffee, though.....Probably better for you in the long run if it's upsetting your stomach!

But for me.....the good outweighs the bad.

"Coffee is a rich source of disease-fighting antioxidants. And studies have shown that it may reduce cavities, improve moods, and stop headaches -- not to mention reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, colon cancer, liver cancer, gall stones, cirrhosis of the liver, and Parkinson's diseases."

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-buzz-on-coffee#1

I also do this...I love coffee, and honestly might not be able to live without it....

And I can't eat first thing in the morning. So the Protein Shake and my coffee is a win-win!😉

I stopped coffee for the pre op diet and never restarted. I was never a heavy coffee drinker, usually a cup a day, but I honestly don’t miss it. It’s nice because I don’t need to find coffee if I’m traveling or even think about it.