Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gonzalez Support Thread

I know that there is another thread out here for Dr. Gonzalez, but that seems to have evolved into more of a discussion on the pros and cons of this doctor. While I absolutely agree that this is a necessary thread, I feel like those of us who have done our research and are comfortable with our personal decision don't really have a place to post anymore. I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. G on December 7th and I would love to share pre-op, recovery and living with the band stories with fellow Dr. G patients.

I thought it was interesting that Dr. V told me that I could have mushy veggies on the pre-op in addition to the liquid diet. Because I am a little freaked out about the whole liver issue, I think that I'm going to try to stick to straight liquids, but it's nice to know that it's out there. I also am going to start the pre-op diet the day after Thanksgiving (2 weeks instead of one).

Thanks for listening!

NewBlew:

I was banded by doctor G, great experience! Excellent and experienced surgeon and team with amazing after care. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

I did research for months before my surgery and have been reading a lot since my surgery. I have found that there are small variations for pre and post op diets depending on each doctor's experience with their particular method. I liked doctor G's diet because he said some of his patients begin to freak out after 3-4 days on just liquids and eventually put unhealthy solids back in their mouth out of desperation. He was right! The diet is meant to reduce the fat in your liver to make the lap band placement easier for the surgeon so since most vegetables contain no fat, you still accomplish the main objective. A crunchy carrot really helps right around day three! The steamed veggies too.

So I guess most surgeon's diets are ok, as long as no sugar and fat are included (sugar turns to fat in your body).

Any other of doctor G's patients have a hard time with your pre-op? Tell us about it so we may help future patients go through it a little easier!

:):):Banane20::)

This new thread sounds GREAT! :whoo:I sent an email to Lap Bandit about it. Hopefully we get pm's to everyone who would like to join us, excluding the 'problem' two.

NewBlue

I also understand that shrinking your liver not only helps the surgeons but also helps you. The surgery is a lot easier on you and makes recovery faster with the smaller liver.

I had a hard time on just liquids but ate a lot of soft stuff like diet pudding. Dr. G said that my liver was small and like a 15 year olds and my surgery took 25 min.. I don't know why but sure was happy to hear that. Before surgery I drank wine, a glass or two, after dinner (no beer or hard liquer). The whole liver thing is a mystery to me.

I sure cannot see how carrot, cucumber or celery would be a no no. Carrots do have a lot more sugar in than other vegetables though. After surgery you won't be eating any of them unless they are cooked very soft or put in blender.

And yes the preop was hard. After surgery it is real easy to stay on liquids because you won't have an appitite for a few weeks, and very little food will fill you up.

Christene,

There are doctors who even have no preop diet. Suprises me. Preop is also a preparation diet to help us do better after surgery.

Hi New and Christine,

Imagine my horror after being banded on Wednesday to come home and find the Dr G thread in total turmoil. Nowhere in my wildest dreams could I have imagined the complete lack of respect shown to other posters by one individual. I truely feel the person is incapable of responding to someone who doesn't share their belief. I have seen this in the depressed or mentally ill. I have other opinions but will keep them to myself lest the poison pen gets pointed in my direction. I want no problems and don't care to become involved in another's personal life. I am here strickly for lap-band support as I make my way through the next few months. I made my decision and it's done... finished. I don't need, or want information that may, or may not be accurate (depending on who you ask). Thank you very much, whoever you are...

I hope this new thread fairs better than the last one but don't be surprised if the same problem pops up again. Some people are incapable of letting things go and will use any excuse to keep at it. My favorites have always been "out of concern", or "people really need to know this". I say BULL! Say it once, maybe twice, then let it go.

I really could have used some support the past few days but it wasn't going to happen here. Instead I had to search other boards and archives for my answers. It's very sad...

I really hope this is a better start but I won't be surprised if problems follow. With names and ID's so easily changed, it's only a matter of time.

For those going back to Dr. G for fills.

On other threads I'v e read a bit about how peoples doctors take sometimes 20 minutes of probing and poking until he finds the soft part of the port. When I went for my fill Dr. G found the right spot immediately and it felt like a pin prick. Perhaps it has to do with all the years of doing the surgery, 17 years. Now I don't know if that is just lapband or not. I think the band has been around for 17 years, just not in the USA.

Sorry Sunshine,

I didn't see you when I started my post. Thanks for all your kind and practical advice prior to my surgery.

And before I forget AGAIN, NEWBLEW, you want to eat veggies and other Fiber before surgery so you don't get constipated. It's bad enough what the pain pills do to your elimination, don't do anything to encourage the problem before surgery. You'll find your abdomnal muscles are a little sore the first few days, nothing big, just from being poked. It goes away fast, at least for me, but even with stool softeners, I'm still waiting for something more than a few grapes. ~LOL~

Good luck to you!

Judy2291

I now think the only way to handle her is to not respond to her posts. Ignore her and pm that to others if she does show up. If she comes in with a different handle, it will be easy to recognize her.

I'm sorry to hear that was going on when you had just came back from surgery. How was your surgery? How are you doing now? I was very tired and sleep a lot the first week or so. Also I had a lot of restriction for some time after surgery.

Hi New and Christine,

Imagine my horror after being banded on Wednesday to come home and find the Dr G thread in total turmoil. Nowhere in my wildest dreams could I have imagined the complete lack of respect shown to other posters by one individual. I truely feel the person is incapable of responding to someone who doesn't share their belief. I have seen this in the depressed or mentally ill. I have other opinions but will keep them to myself lest the poison pen gets pointed in my direction. I want no problems and don't care to become involved in another's personal life. I am here strickly for lap-band support as I make my way through the next few months. I made my decision and it's done... finished. I don't need, or want information that may, or may not be accurate (depending on who you ask). Thank you very much, whoever you are...

I hope this new thread fairs better than the last one but don't be surprised if the same problem pops up again. Some people are incapable of letting things go and will use any excuse to keep at it. My favorites have always been "out of concern", or "people really need to know this". I say BULL! Say it once, maybe twice, then let it go.

I really could have used some support the past few days but it wasn't going to happen here. Instead I had to search other boards and archives for my answers. It's very sad...

I really hope this is a better start but I won't be surprised if problems follow. With names and ID's so easily changed, it's only a matter of time.

You are dragging this issue over here too? Why are you doing that?

Heh... and I thought you wanted a thread without the topic. I was in error. You have written four paragraphs *here* regarding how much you don't want to discuss it *here* and you are blaming others?

Sunshine,

Thank you for posting. It's been a rough couple of days. Mostly, I think because I was feeling well, I overdid it on what I could eat. Let's see.... I started out with chicken broth, that got boring prety fast. I drank a few Protein shakes. I was worried about my BP meds so managed to get those down.

The 2nd day I decided "Hey! This isn't so bad!" and took off with the dog to the groomers. Afterward, I hit Target for some more Gas medicine (I actually had very little), and one of those new blender bottles that have a stainless steel spring ball that really does a good job mixing the powder.

After a short nap, back to the groomers where it all finally hit. I was off and running for the complimentary poo-poo bags to barf in. Who knew they were the perfect size to discretely hold over my mouth as I pretended to look at the doggie toys.

Finally back home I decided to give things a rest and settled in for an afternoon of movies and all the TiVo I had been meaning to watch. I found that I could eat blended potato Soup thinned with more chicken broth. Nothing has ever tasted so good.

My biggest mistake was not throughly going through cupboards. I spotted a half empty bag of corn chips and threw them in the trash. Then I spotted my #1 weakness. Cheetos! Needless to say, Cheetos are not a lap band friendly food.

I heading out for a family birthday so have to close. Will let you know how my first outting went later tonight.

Hugs,

Judy

Judy

Getting down medicines was one of the most difficult things to do. I chopped them up but later found out that there are some meds that you shouldn't chop up (time release type).

WOW how embarrasing to be in public and have to barf........lucky to have a poo poo bag around. I never thought of it but, It may be handy to keep something like that in your purse, just in case.

Those instant diet puddings are ok during the early period after surgery.

Have fun at the outing (((Judy)))

Hi Everyone! NewBlue thanks for starting this new thread.

I was banded a month ago by Dr G and I feel great most of the time. Still a few aches and strange brief pains occasionally but doing good and down 22 lbs.

Thanks to all for the support we give each other!

Jill

This is a great Idea. My suggestion is to ignore IsaButthole. Don't respond to any posts. Sooner or later she will go away.

LA LA LA LA LA....we can't hear you!!!!! :whoo:

I hear that shunning is a POWERFUL tool, Lap Bandit you're funny.LOL

Hi Blue eyed

Are you still feeling restriction? Do you know when you plan on your first fill?

I hope I can get support from you guys being Dr. G's patients maybe you can gimme tips. I'm narrowing down to surgery mid December! Anyone else going mid December?

I think this is a great idea, NewBlew thanks! I've got nothing but great references from all of doctor G's patients. I called several of his patients on a list I got from doctor Valenzuela and everyone was very helpful. I appreciate the humanity that this group of docs transmits and everyone seems to have the same experience. I know I'm moving in the right direction. If I can count on you guys after my surgery for advice and support, I'll have it made. Thanks again!

Am I the only one who wasn't able to get on the website until this afternoon? I was beginning to think we'd all been banned! ~LOL~

Jimmyjoe: Don't forget about the holidays in December. I'm only 5 days post op so I can't really advise you but I know others have said it hurt to eat for a few weeks, things got stuck. I live in Southern Calif if you need help. I won't go for my first fill until Dec. I had already planned a cruise with my family and even Dr G thought I should wait under the circumstances.

Well, I'm heading to the grocery to get more Soup. I know I'm suppose to be on Clear liquids but if I blend and thin really well, it doesn't bother me.

Hope everyone has a wonderful night!

Judy