Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

food stuck in pouch opening

I am 5 years post op with gastric sleeve. This past Saturday I got food stuck in my stomach opening. I would drink Water to try to wash it down but I just kept producing tons a saliva and spitting it out. The pain in my stomach was horrible. This lasted for over 2 hours and I even vomited 4 times. It finally went away, but I still felt queasy and no appetite for the rest of the day. Since then, (5 days later) I keep producing a lot of saliva in my mouth and keep swallowing it. I'm not having any pain or vomiting and eating very little and chewing everything very well. Has anyone had anything like this? It's the constant swallowing the excess saliva that bothers me, yet I still feel very thirsty.

Sounds like a classic case of the foamies, but 5 years out - wow!

What did you eat that got stuck? Have you been in to see the doc yet?

I'm only 2 months out but I had this happen. For a week after I did liquids only. I think I irritated my sleeve. My doctor told me if the feeling did not go away he may need to scope me to help it resolve. Since then I have reminders in strategic places to chew, chew and then chew some more. I hope you feel better soon.

40 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

What did you eat that got stuck? Have you been in to see the doc yet?

I ate a piece of soft pretzel that was very tuff. I also have severe dry mouth and need to sip on Water with every bite of food or else I can’t even swallow it. This has been going on for a year. I have been referred to multiple doctors for the dry mouth and had endless blood tests etc. possibly Sjögren’s syndrome but not confirmed. Nothing feels stuck in my stomach right now, but my glands keep producing a lot of saliva. This is quite a change since I have had severe dry mouth over a year. I also have had no appetite this past year either. My mouth tastes like a mouth full of pennies😩.

What if it's a normal amount of saliva, you just think it's a lot you had dry mouth for so long? lol

But seriously, hope you get some relief soon. That doesn't sound like any fun.

When my symptoms of sjogren's first appeared, one of the major salivary glands was quite sore for a week. Then not long later saliva production reduced, I had a dry mouth and lips (lips were cracking and peeling). Then within in a week or two of that, I couldn't swallow food without drinking Water. Thankfully my symptoms aren't so bad anymore. Blood tests were negative for sjogren's, but given my blood markers for inflammation had been very high for years I was given a referral for a minor salivary gland biopsy, this was positive for sjogren's.

It's strange that you are still producing saliva but you have a dry mouth and can't swallow food, but the sjogren's has so many varied issues/symptoms its hard to diagnose for some people. There are a lot of products out there that can help with the dry mouth, particularly mouth washes, gels and mousses. They also help with the dental aspect of dry mouth. If you are able to chew gum, gum with xylitol also helps.

Edited by 2shea

This may have nothing to do with your sleeve, please go see a gastrologist. Copper taste indicates blood.