Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The long wait, Banding in 2008

Hi all, I am at the beginning of what I'm told will be a 6 month process to get a band. I have done the required group meetings and my first appointment is the end of November. It looks like I will have to wait until April 08 for the band.

Anyone else have a long wait? This is miserable!! I seem to have decided that I can go ahead and eat whatever! I have gained more weight in the last month. At this rate I will be 30 pounds heavier before I even start! I can not possible have this 'last meal syndrome' for 6 months!! I am now the biggest I have ever been and I am miserable!

I need to pull myself together and start now! Even if I lost 20 pounds by April I would still be over a 40 BMI and would qualify. And then how nice would it be to have a head start. I seem to be stuck in this weird waiting and eating zone.

I would love any advice on how to make it through this long wait.

Thanks!!

Hi Mich,

First of all congratulations on starting your Band journey. I started this whole journey in the beginning of August when I had my first consultation with the Doc. Because I am a full time college student, I knew my schedule would not be very flexible in regards to having the surgery and I knew I would have to wait until winter break. I set my surgery for Jan. 08, a 5 month wait! I was upset that I wouldn't be able to do it sooner, but there was no way to make it any earlier. The doctor wouldn't even confirm the surgery date because he doesn't set surgery dates so far in advance! This was even more upsetting because for all I knew, my doc could be on vacation during the one window of opportunity I would have to do this or I would have to wait until Summer 2008!! They penciled me in though at the consultation and just the other day, the doc's office called to confirm my surgery date and time!!! Wahoo!

As you can see by my ticker, I am also counting down the months, weeks and days til my surgery. As upset as I was, I knew there was nothing to do about it and it was going to be a long haul until January, so I asked myself what I was going to do until then. I could just eat whatever I want until then or I could try to do something to get me on my way. Obviously, the reason why many people get the band is because dieting never worked for us. The one diet that was easy for me and that worked (while I was on it, of course) was Atkins. So the week after my consultation, I started Atkins. When I do Atkins, I feel great, lose weight and feel healthy overall. The difference this time is that I know that if I do it until the surgery, those pounds are never coming back! That is my motivation to keep going. There is a destination in sight unlike the last time I did it. Like you, even if I do lose a lot of weight now, I still qualify for banding, so it's not a concern for me. The way I view it it is that when I get the band, I will have less to lose with it, getting to my goal weight all the more quickly.

I could have decided to have a 6 month "farewell to food tour" as they call it, but I've realized that this whole journey is about changing my whole lifestyle. One of those changes is being responsible for and in control of what I eat. When I eat whatever I want, I have no control, but when I do what works for me, I am the dictator of my life. The success is in my hands. Before I felt that this wait was a curse, but it has turned into such a blessing. Things that I'm changing now are hopefully going to help me in the future. Why should I wait when I can start on the road to a healthy life. With that being said... will I splurge on carbs, sugar etc that are not good for me before my surgery? Yeah, I'm not going to lie, I probably will. But I'm waiting to the last possible time so I won't have time to gain all the weight back that I'm losing now.

There are a few other things that have also helped me with the wait. One is by coming here to LBT and reading, reading, reading. I highly recommend you spend some time her while you wait. I have learned so many things about the band that I didn't know before and I'm glad I'm being educated about them now than after I'm already banded. Many people come to this site and say "I was just banded, now what do I do?" Yes, I cannot understand what it means to have a band and everything that comes along with it until I get it, but at least I am going to be aware that there are emotional, psychological and physical changes that are going to take place once I do get banded. It's also so inspirational to see how everyone is succeeding and it reaffirms to me that I made the right decision to have the surgery!

Another thing that is also helping me pass the time until surgery is monthly support meetings. I don't know if your doctor has them, but mine does. Unfortunately, since I am in school full time, I cannot always attend, but I try to when I can. It's a place where I can here weight loss surgery patients talk about the issues, challenges, victories etc. that they have had with their surgery. Again, I may not be able to relate to them yet, but it's more support and inspiration. If you have access to such a group and your schedule allows for it, why not?

I hope some of what I've wrote will be of some help to you. I know how you feel! I was in a similar position as you 3 months ago. I can't even believe that it's even been 3 months. I also try splitting the time into smaller increments. For example, since I am in school, I have midterms this week so I know that I am half way through the semester. Before I know it, it will be Thanksgiving break, and then finals a month later and before I know it, the holidays will be here and a week after that is my surgery. That sounds like a lot less time than 2 months! This works really well for me, I would suggest doing this for yourself as well. I hope that the next 6 months won't be as long as they seem. Before you know it, April will be here. Good luck with everything! You can do it!:clap2:

Yep, I started the process in May and won't be banded until February of 2008 at the earliest and that is IF my insurance company doesn't act like a bunch of asshats. It's frustrating but I'm one of those sappy people who believes that delays happen for a reason so I'm going with it. Good luck!

RedTulips, that was a great post! I've been on my farewell to food tour and feeling miserable and getting bigger by the day. I think your line about knowing that the weight you lose pre-op won't come back is going to help me tremendously as I try to get back on track. Thank you!

Gibson,

Never gaining back these few pounds I lose now is such a strong motivator for me. I've been in a place where I'm eating whatever, whenever, wherever, anything and everything and there's only so much a I can take before I make myself sick and get bored eating my way into an unhealthy oblivion. I don't feel good physically or emotionally. I just try to remind myself everyday how great I'm feeling now without all the junk I was eating before. But don't worry, I haven't officially parted ways with my Chinese food, pizza, pastas etc. I do owe them a proper goodbye, but our goodbyes will be short and sweet, but I will be happy to say goodbye to them and trade them in for a life of health.

January 21 for me. I am weaning off my trigger foods and starting my day three times a week with a slim fast. I figured I might just start now so I will be used to going all liquid two weeks before the surgery. I am also figuring out which flavors I am going to stock up on. I know I can't stand the strawberry slim fast.

Hi Mich...

(Just a fast FYI - visit the Introductions center of LBT...TONS of great Q&A for newbies).

But Yes, I can totally relate to your 'long wait'. I started my investigating in late summer of 2006. In September of 2006 I went to my first of the string of appointments. I think I did a very, very good - healthy thing by having a long process and plan. First, it allowed me to get educated. Education is the best way to approach the band. So look at this as a 6 month semester. It seems like such a long time, but you can see it that Thanksgiving is upon us, then the holidays. Bam! 8 weeks there - down and out. **Be sure to ENJOY these holidays, eat up! lol (I waited until January for my surgery...knowing that by THIS holiday season, Bandster life would be old hat!) Then comes January, and snow storms. Before you know it, Valentines day...and even spring break. The 6 months will fly! And in the middle of all of that, you'll be on LBT every day :) and you'll be going for pre-band classes, and pre-admission testing, etc.etc.etc.

In my opinion...the 6 months is needed, to get in the right frame of mind. You're about to embark on a life journey. If you were to do it wham bam...I'd be willing to bet I would have gotten overwhelmed emotionally, and tired physcially.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! This site has been so wonderful. I have been lurking for months and have learned so much.

Redtulips. I totally agree about not waisting this time. I also have been thinking that any weight lost now would stay away after lap band. And you are so right that the food I am eating now is making me feel lousy. I hope that posting and thinking about this will get me moving in the right direction.

My first appointment will be the end of this month. I hope after this it will start to feel real. Maybe that will get me going.

Sherilynn, I will be enjoying the holidays! :hungry: Hopefully with in reason, but I do know next year will be much different. My big problem now, is that I want it now!! That whole instant gratification thing.

Thanks all for the support!

Mich,

We are on the same schedule! I will hopefully be banded late April early May 2008, i've just started the 6 month diet.

I just finished my 6 months of dieting and now waiting for insurance approval. I only loss 20 lbs . because I thought the same way . but now I'm thinking I'm 20 lbs. head and I'm sorry I didn't do better.

Sherilynn, I will be enjoying the holidays! :hungry: Hopefully with in reason, but I do know next year will be much different. My big problem now, is that I want it now!! That whole instant gratification thing.

Thanks all for the support!

Your holidays will be different; but really not MUCH. I think by that time, you'll be able to know your band really well. You will know what you can and can not tolerate. The biggest different you'll probably see it that you're not STUFFING yourself. You're not walking away from the table with the need to unbutton your pants. You'll find that you won't be going back for 2nds, 3rds (Do I hear 4ths!!!).

I give a TON of credit to those who are banded this time of year. A TON!! Because as physical as this is, its also very emotional. And if you're an emotional eater; I would think this would be a hell time to do it.

Hi Everyone! I am glad I found this thread as I have been trying to avoid the 6 month tour of food... it's really hard. I would assume tho if I cant make it during these 6 months I probably shouldnt be banded.

I went to my first dietitian appt the end of OCT (meet and greet) then had first official nutrition appt on 11/1 so I am looking to be banded in April as well.

I have attended the informational seminar with the doctors and will be going in on the 19th for my formal appt. However, I submitted all my paperwork and insurance already so they were ready for all that I needed to do. I did all the leg work myself before contacting a doctor so I was really ahead of the game. I think the 6 months is just to torture me since I had already been on a dietitians recommended diet for quite a few months in 2004 but it wasn't within the last 2 years so they wont use those :confused: