Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your Hospital Experience

So, I’m sitting in the hospital, one day post-op gastric bypass + gall bladder, and wondering how my experience has compared to others.. I have had a lot of nausea and some kind of acid reflux...lots of burping that is very acidic. I had the surgery Thursday afternoon and had a very rough night last night as I wasn’t able to get comfortable...so no sleeping. Now, today has been so much better. I’ve basically had zero pain throughout...just crazy nausea. I’ve started on Clear Liquids and the only problem is that I feel uncomfortably full after next to nothing...so now I’m worrying about hydration and how I’m ever going to get in 60 grams of Protein a day!! So, I’d love to hear from others on your hospital experience and those early days post-op.

Excited to be on the other side of this!

I was sleeved on 5/21 and also had barely any pain, but debilitating nausea. I was throwing up blood at one point from the violent retching. Everyone including my surgeon had no sympathy and acted as if I was being a baby. I heard remarks like “I’m guessing you’ve never had surgery before” (I’ve actually had two non related abdominal surgeries with zero pain meds) or “I heard you’re feeling sorry for yourself” from my surgeon! Before the surgery, I was frequently nauseous, so I can handle being nauseous, but this was 10/10; I felt like dying. Found out they had given me a narcotic that I’m allergic to which when taken causes severe motion sickness (could not even turn my head without retching. Once all pain meds were discontinued the nausea went completely away within 24 hours.

Hiya

This is the tough part! Don’t fret though - it gets easier real quick.

I remember th8nking ‘how will I drink 8 oz of Fluid - 1 sip every 10 mins and I am done!!’ But pretty quickly I could sip away reasonably constantly. I had open surgery so no gas pain, and slept in a recliner chair for 5 nights - after that, lying flat was fine.

My surgeon had me eating solids before I left hospital (I know many keep you on liquid/soft food for weeks) and that was pretty easy too. Patience is the name of the game for you now!

I am 15 days post op and the only bad experience I had in the hospital was the darn uncomfortable beds; so I didn’t get I much sleep. I was sore but never crazy pain. I was discharged Day after surgery.

One week post up I was dehydrated at my appointment. I wasn’t meeting all of my liquid intake and I had high blood pressure and heart rate.

Now, so far so good *knocks on wood*

I had gastric bypass on May 2. The surgeon had me put on a scopalamine patch the night before, and I had no nausea. I was up walking within hours of waking up, and I was on full liquids by that evening (protein shakes, Gelatin, broth). I have had zero nausea or vomiting, and I have had no issues getting fluids and soft foods in (doc started me early because I was doing so well).

I had the easiest surgery ever. Zero nausea. None. Blew my mind. I was expecting to feel horrible. I felt terrific and walked miles on the ward the day of surgery. Took a shower at 7am, the next day, shampooed, dried and styled my hair, put makeup and street clothes on...and was ready to escape as soon as my doctor did morning rounds. Figured it couldn't hurt to look like I was ready to go home:) Worked like a charm and I got sprung:)

Things I think that might have helped...I got up and walked as soon as I could and I kept walking every hour I was awake. I took as little pain meds as they'd let me. I'm not a fan of pain meds. I was a little uncomfortable, but so relieved to be on the other side and moving...that it didn't bother me much.

My doc puts everyone on three different anti nausea medications. Whatever he's doing...it works. Least it did for me. Seriously...zero nausea. I have not vomited once in six months since surgery.

My nurses were great. Felt well cared for and like people were paying good attention. Particularly, in surgery recovery...I had a terrific nurse who was really sympathetic and did lots of things to make me comfortable. She got me cold packs for my shoulder pain, let me eat ice chips, got me heated blankets, was cheerful and warm and encouraging.

My doctor agreed to 3 anti nausea meds because I always wake up very sick. He gives a script for Emend, an anti nausea give to cancer patients. It is 1 pill for $100 not covered by insurance. I happened to find a coupon online for $25 off. I also had the scopalomine patch, and IV zofran. It was the first time I woke up with no nausea at all.

Okay! Home now after a day and a half in the hospital and feeling great! :rolleyes: No nausea or pain...getting used to sipping steadily and slowly. Urine is dark so need to hydrate. So far, so good!

Post op day one! Going home. Zero nausea but gas pain is no joke! I was up walking asap after surgery and walking all morning. But gas ex seems to be helping!

3 hours ago, AtlantaRed said:

He gives a script for Emend, an anti nausea give to cancer patients. It is 1 pill for $100 not covered by insurance. I happened to find a coupon online for $25 off. I also had the scopalomine patch, and IV zofran. It was the first time I woke up with no nausea at all.

I took the Emend, too. Best hundred bucks out of pocket I ever spent. Zero nausea!

If you can get a prior auth, insurance can cover Emend. Best medicine ever!!!