Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone talk to their surgeon about B-12 shots post-op? If so, what did he/she say?

Yes. I have some B12 in my Optum Multi but, if there comes a time that I need more B12, my surgeon said to use subligual. That gives a steady, daily amount of B12 rather than one quick jolt of an injection every three months.

I’ve been doing a weekly b-12 shot since my first labs before surgery. I didn’t ask my surgeon, he prescribed it after reviewing my initial lab work.

I do a monthly shot, and my surgeon prescribed it to me right away.

I get them every three months. I was prescribed it by my surgeon once I was a month out from surgery.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-124
GW-130
Size- 2, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 34C

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

I had B12 shots once per month for the first year after surgery. To get them you must take a doctor's script to the drug store. It is like prescription medicine. I would have my wife give me the shot in the arm each month. That is the main reason why I discontinued the shots and transitioned to daily B12 sublingual tablets. My wife is afraid of blood. So when she gave me the shot, she would instinctively turn her head away as she drove the needle into my arm.

The first question is whether you need it - the sleeve based procedures generally don't while the bypass does. If one is low on it pre-op, then some form of it is appropriate - tablets usually work fine with the sleeve, or the sublinguals if preferred; shots usually aren't needed with the sleeve. Our program doesn't call for B12 supplements with the VSG or DS unless needed by a specific patient. My levels are always on high end of the normal range without any supplements.

So which is really best?
Sublingual
regular pills
Patches
Injections?
What worked or is working best for you, as a future RnY do I have to worry more or less than my sleeved brothers and sisters?😰

Also did anyone get out on Prenatal Vitamins instead of the Bariatric multiples we hear of so ofte R on postings? My dietician/NUT reasoning, the level of Iron should be sufficent without separate iron augmentation. Your Thoughts?😌

frustr8, my program said no prenatals- just take a women’s multi (men too!) plus two calcium chews.

My issue is that the multi makes me nauseas and I really want to try the Patches. Because they haven’t been tested as well as the regular Multi Vitamins have, they told us not to use them. But MAN would it be convenient!
If anyone has feedback on the patches please let me know!

I have been getting B12 shots since shortly post surgery. It's not routine with my program, but I was feeling extremely shaky and exhahausted and asked for one. That seemed to solve the problem, so I have continued to get them once per month.

Going forward though I don't want to make a trip to my surgeon's once a month, so I got a prescription of Nascobal, which is B12 nasal spray. I used a sample my surgeon gave me, it was east, and certainly something I could manage once a week. But my insurance doesn't cover it, so it would cost me $600 a month, which is not happening. So once my last B12 shot "runs out", I'm going to try the sublinguals, and hopefully those will do the trick. I just hate to add another pill to my daily routine.

As far as prenatals,, go, I take one that was recomended by my physicians PA. They are very complete, and most importantly easy on my stomach.

I'm personally very skeptical of the Patches. I just don't think it's possible that most Vitamins and minerals can pass through the skin's barrier. I mean skin's whole job is to keep everything out. If you swim in the ocean, salt doesn't enter through your skin, when you put on lotion, it doesn't penetrate your blood stream. The medication that are in transdermal patches, like birth control and nicotine have been formulated by drug companies to be effective. I don't believe the same amount of research and engineering is being done by these supplement companies. Also, this article, made a lot of sense to me. https://www.unjury.com/blog/important-information-if-you-are-recommending-a-patch-vitamin/ How can a patch deliver more mg of vitamins and minerals then it even weighs? Fianlly, I know many say their labs are fine when being on patches. Labs are a tricky thing, so deficiencies won't show up until it is far too late, like Calcium, which your body will pull from your bones if you don't get enough. And labs don'y test for a very limited amount of vitamins and minerals.