Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Scheduled! Revision Sleeve to Bypass



Recommended Posts

I got my surgery date yesterday! I am scheduled for September 10th. I am having a revision from a Gastric Sleeve to Bypass! I had my sleeve 5 years ago. I did really well the first year and lost over 90lbs. I was never able to reach my goal weight and seemed to hit a wall after a year. I couldn't lose anymore and struggled to maintain even with slight diet changes. I have regained about 50lbs and I am struggling with reflux again.

I wished I had picked the bypass from the beginning. There was so much hype about the sleeve at the time but not as much long term data. Now I can compare and understand the bypass has better long term results. I am feeling a sense of relief just getting the surgery date that is what I need to do and I can get back to a place were I am happy with myself and maintain it.

Any revisions out there that can share there experience with a revision from sleeve to bypass?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats! I am 6 days post op from sleeve to bypass so I don’t have enough experience yet but my recovery is easier than the sleeve thus far.

i too was a bit pressured into the sleeve vs. bypass 7 years ago. I never even heard of it back then. Only the band and bypass; I wanted the bypass for the restriction & malabsorption.

i didn’t lost about 40 pounds with my sleeve and gained it all back. I also had no restriction after about a year. GERD also developed

welcome to the revision crew!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a revision from band to bypass 12/17 and I’m very happy with my weight loss.

Congratulations on your surgery date. This is your first step to anew you!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having my sleeve revision to bypass tomorrow morning. I never thought I'd be doing this again, but 4 years later, here I am. Fingers crossed for no more reflux and more weight loss!

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jillagain said:

I am having my sleeve revision to bypass tomorrow morning. I never thought I'd be doing this again, but 4 years later, here I am. Fingers crossed for no more reflux and more weight loss!

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Good luck!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck!


  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 10:40 AM, shoregirl75 said:

I got my surgery date yesterday! I am scheduled for September 10th. I am having a revision from a Gastric Sleeve to Bypass! I had my sleeve 5 years ago. I did really well the first year and lost over 90lbs. I was never able to reach my goal weight and seemed to hit a wall after a year. I couldn't lose anymore and struggled to maintain even with slight diet changes. I have regained about 50lbs and I am struggling with reflux again.

I wished I had picked the bypass from the beginning. There was so much hype about the sleeve at the time but not as much long term data. Now I can compare and understand the bypass has better long term results. I am feeling a sense of relief just getting the surgery date that is what I need to do and I can get back to a place were I am happy with myself and maintain it.

Any revisions out there that can share there experience with a revision from sleeve to bypass?

Your story sounds exactly like mine. I'm seeing more and more sleeve revision posts so I don't think the sleeve was the magical surgery everyone thought it would be. I too felt pressured to have the sleeve over the bypass. I'll be almost exactly 4 years out from my sleeve surgery in July when I'm scheduled for my revision to the bypass. Hoping second time around is the last time. Good luck to you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SAME!!!! I had the sleeve March 2016, just over 2 years ago, and now I am getting the bypass on May 30th. I lost about 50lbs and gained it all back and more. I too wish I had the bypass to begin with. Good luck everyone, and keep us all posted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting to schedule my sleeve to bypass too. I’m almost 2years out. Been struggling with reflux since surgery. Dr found significant stricture (1cm marshmallow couldn’t pass through)...


  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 10:40 AM, shoregirl75 said:

I got my surgery date yesterday! I am scheduled for September 10th. I am having a revision from a Gastric Sleeve to Bypass! I had my sleeve 5 years ago. I did really well the first year and lost over 90lbs. I was never able to reach my goal weight and seemed to hit a wall after a year. I couldn't lose anymore and struggled to maintain even with slight diet changes. I have regained about 50lbs and I am struggling with reflux again.

I wished I had picked the bypass from the beginning. There was so much hype about the sleeve at the time but not as much long term data. Now I can compare and understand the bypass has better long term results. I am feeling a sense of relief just getting the surgery date that is what I need to do and I can get back to a place were I am happy with myself and maintain it.

Any revisions out there that can share there experience with a revision from sleeve to bypass?

Banded in 2011 and Bypass March 21st 2018. I too wish I went for the bypass up front. Just be ready for the potential slower weight loss due to you already having some of the restriction already. Congrats and good luck!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Banded in 2011 and Bypass March 21st 2018. I too wish I went for the bypass up front. Just be ready for the potential slower weight loss due to you already having some of the restriction already. Congrats and good luck!

I went from about 230 to 180 in 6 months, do you think losing 50 pounds having a revision in that time period is possible? Or is weight loss really slower?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, miss_smiles said:

I went from about 230 to 180 in 6 months, do you think losing 50 pounds having a revision in that time period is possible? Or is weight loss really slower?

Everyone is going to be different, but, I just go from the logical standpoint. Going from zero restriction and zero malabsorption to both, you have a much higher potential for drastic weight loss than going from some level of restriction already, adjusting your restriction and adding malabsorption. So my warning is based on some logic and some personal and anecdotal evidence, but clearly not what's going to occur for all, BUT, in my opinion, it's better to be aware of the potential differences.

I'm down 46 lbs since March 2nd, not as fast as others I've talked to, but not super slow by any means.
So, sure 50 lbs in 6 months is more than possible. And the required dietary changes are going to help prevent regain. As with all WLS, it's a tool to help change habits.

Edited by Matt Z
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×