Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-workout with Caffeine

You're having trouble with liquids and pain. Please tell me you aren't drinking caffeine, right? coffee is pretty acidic so it can irritate if you're having probs. But that being said, my doc let me have decaff from day 1. But, she says no caffeine from any source--even now.

Detox from caffeine sux, but makes you feel so much better once the monkey's off your back!!! Hang in there!

It seems to vary from surgeon to surgeon. My surgeon doesn’t mind us having a few cups of tea or coffee but you should follow your program and listen to your body if you are already having problems.

Caffeinated beverages might not be a great idea if you’re having issues meeting Fluid requirements either.

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

coffee is pretty acidic so it can irritate if you're having probs.

coffee is no more acidic than saliva, so it's not the "acid" that causes irritation. Acidic coffee is actually a reference to the flavor profile, not the pH level.

acid_base_examples_chart.png&key=8cca981

In regards to the pre-workout post op. Save your money. You won't be working out hard enough for quite a while to warrant a suspect product like a pre-workout.

13 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

coffee is no more acidic than saliva, so it's not the "acid" that causes irritation. Acidic coffee is actually a reference to the flavor profile, not the pH level.

acid_base_examples_chart.png&key=8cca981

In regards to the pre-workout post op. Save your money. You won't be working out hard enough for quite a while to warrant a suspect product like a pre-workout.

I "think" narrow changes in pH are actually rather large. 7 is considered neutral and hopefully our saliva is neutral at 7. A pH of 5 is on the acidic side of neutral so that's why I refer to it as acidic. A pH of 5 is relatively acidic for "bland" innocuous tasting drink (I'm talking about say lemon aid v. brewed regular coffee). So that means it's 100x more acidic (2 powers of 10--it's a logarithmic scale, hope that math is right chemobrain and math are not good partners) than neutral saliva. (sorry to geek out)

Edited by FluffyChix

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

I "think" narrow changes in pH are actually rather large. 7 is considered neutral and hopefully our saliva is neutral at 7. A pH of 5 is on the acidic side of neutral so that's why I refer to it as acidic. A pH of 5 is relatively acidic for "bland" innocuous tasting drink (I'm talking about say lemon aid v. brewed regular coffee). So that means it's 100x more acidic (2 powers of 10--it's a logarithmic scale, hope that math is right chemobrain and math are not good partners) than neutral saliva. (sorry to geek out)

Then by that reasoning a Tomato would be 1000 times more acidic, and yet they are still not an issue. But even at the pH levels we are talking about, stomach acid is a 1, so anything less than that would create a dilution and not a concentration.

12 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

Then by that reasoning a Tomato would be 1000 times more acidic, and yet they are still not an issue. But even at the pH levels we are talking about, stomach acid is a 1, so anything less than that would create a dilution and not a concentration.

No. Tomatoes are actually 10,000 times more acidic than neutral saliva. 10 to the 4th is 10,000. Totes agree on the tomatoes. If the power of 10 math is right and I think it is 10x10x10x10. :) But hopefully for most people stomach acid is contained within the tummy. But for us peeps with GERD or hiatal hernias or new surgeries that influence the esophagus, when the acid gets to the esophagus it causes inflammation. I know when I was having super bad issues with GERD, the doc made me stop coffee, Tomato products and a whole lot of other things.

Not arguing against having those things post surg. :) I eat and drink freely now without issues. Just saying I understand why some docs make those rules.

Edited by FluffyChix

You're having trouble with liquids and pain. Please tell me you aren't drinking caffeine, right? coffee is pretty acidic so it can irritate if you're having probs. But that being said, my doc let me have decaff from day 1. But, she says no caffeine from any source--even now.
Detox from caffeine sux, but makes you feel so much better once the monkey's off your back!!! Hang in there!

Uh, I don’t drink coffee I said pre workout but okay thanks and I don’t have pain I normally ask question for my friend and I because we both the the operation.

Caffeine is a bad idea early on because it actually binds to the same receptors as Vitamin D. You won't be taking in enough of that early through food, so the daily Vitamin will be picking up the slack.