Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect at pre-op visit

I’m having gastric bypass on May 21, my pre-op appointment is on May 3rd. I had all my pre-op blood work done, ekg, and a cardiologist cleared me for surgery. What can I expect to happen at my surgeons pre-op visit? Any advice to help me survive the pre-op liquid diet? I’m so happy to be taking this journey to changing my life for the better.

Mine consisted of a NUT coming in to talk to me about the pre-op diet & things I would need for post op. Nurse came in to talk to me about the meds I had (they already ordered it and I picked them up).

nurse coordinator came in and told me about what would happen day of therapy and recovery, what I needed to bring to hospital etc. and then the surgeon came in to reiterate the procedure.

simpl stuff. The pre-op diet is hard. There will be temptation all day, everyday. You just have to know that there is an end to this and it’s to better yourself. When I had my VSG, broth was my life. Now that I am getting my RNY, I can’t stand broth and popsicles are my life lol

I have an appointment with just these 3 for May 24th. Dare I hope this is more than a Hi Nice to Meet You session? See, I'm rather,a special case, I have been through another hospital's program twice. 1st time, my job terminated, lost that insurance coverage, was,going to have to switch to my secondary, didn't know secondary was less stringent and. I had done enough for them, dropped it bec a use I thought all was lost, that was January 2016. Returned last Autumn at the prompting of my PCP, we were trying to assist,my,own weight loss with phenteramine, I gained,30,pounds instead of losing. All my consults etc,were or close to 2 years old so I did everything over again for attempt#2. Finished everything up and was waiting for my surgery date to be set up, imagine my surprise when surgeon's office called, gave,me a cockamaimy excuse and " kicked me to the curb" Oh they phrased it a little fancier but thats what it was. Let's see,, I should be able,to remember the phrases, they are burned into my brain like somebody took a woodburner to it." Based on a faulty report from one of your evaluations, Surgeon(name available,upon request) and his partners have voted not to preform your Bariatric surgery at this or any other time" now in the employment world there is another common term, synanom is" excretement container", That's what it seemed to me.
So after crying a few days, I picked myself up,looked at me and my red puffy eyes and said "Well old girl, are YOU going to let them get away with this?" dusted the diet of them off me and my life, made an appointment at a PreSurgery Seminar at the facility I should have gone to in the first place. Why had I gone to that original place? My PCP had recommended it, thought it was more Christian-based and would treat me better. Pfooey, I had turned the other cheeck, got it bruised also, I'll take my chances with the heathens at my State University!
Seminar was March 9th, filled out application form, signed Transfer Of Information Form to get all my records from Verdompt ExProgram, and went home to wait. Less then 5 business days later, was called back, was told they were. very interested, could i come to Columbus for a meeting with their staff psychologist Dr Kramer at Martha Morehouse Pavilion on April 25th, did so , had great evaluation and nice one-on-one chat with him. Next step was a meeting with the same group,as prior poster spoke of. Can I hope and dream this could also be MY presurgical meeting? Oh please Sweet Lord in Heaven I hope so, I started out seeking Bariatric Surgery,in August 2015, not even a lady elephant is pregnant THAT LONG!
Maybe May 24th I'll hear good things? Going to feel that way until then!

Mine consisted of a NUT coming in to talk to me about the pre-op diet & things I would need for post op. Nurse came in to talk to me about the meds I had (they already ordered it and I picked them up).
nurse coordinator came in and told me about what would happen day of therapy and recovery, what I needed to bring to hospital etc. and then the surgeon came in to reiterate the procedure.
simpl stuff. The pre-op diet is hard. There will be temptation all day, everyday. You just have to know that there is an end to this and it’s to better yourself. When I had my VSG, broth was my life. Now that I am getting my RNY, I can’t stand broth and popsicles are my life lol

Thank you! My surgery center already sent My prescriptions this week. Picked them up and start on one today. The others are for after surgery. What Protein Shakes did you use for the pre-op diet? I had premiere Protein but my office recommended muscle milk.

6 minutes ago, DMomof3 said:

Thank you! My surgery center already sent My prescriptions this week. Picked them up and start on one today. The others are for after surgery. What Protein Shakes did you use for the pre-op diet? I had premiere Protein but my office recommended muscle milk.

I use Premier Protein & syntha 6 because it tastes fine with Water. I don’t like muscle milk personally.

I also enjoy the premier Protein clear & Syntrax Nectar protein. They have juice based & shake style protein. Get their sample pack to see what you like

I have an appointment with just these 3 for May 24th. Dare I hope this is more than a Hi Nice to Meet You session? See, I'm rather,a special case, I have been through another hospital's program twice. 1st time, my job terminated, lost that insurance coverage, was,going to have to switch to my secondary, didn't know secondary was less stringent and. I had done enough for them, dropped it bec a use I thought all was lost, that was January 2016. Returned last Autumn at the prompting of my PCP, we were trying to assist,my,own weight loss with phenteramine, I gained,30,pounds instead of losing. All my consults etc,were or close to 2 years old so I did everything over again for attempt#2. Finished everything up and was waiting for my surgery date to be set up, imagine my surprise when surgeon's office called, gave,me a cockamaimy excuse and " kicked me to the curb" Oh they phrased it a little fancier but thats what it was. Let's see,, I should be able,to remember the phrases, they are burned into my brain like somebody took a woodburner to it." Based on a faulty report from one of your evaluations, Surgeon(name available,upon request) and his partners have voted not to preform your Bariatric surgery at this or any other time" now in the employment world there is another common term, synanom is" excretement container", That's what it seemed to me.
So after crying a few days, I picked myself up,looked at me and my red puffy eyes and said "Well old girl, are YOU going to let them get away with this?" dusted the diet of them off me and my life, made an appointment at a PreSurgery Seminar at the facility I should have gone to in the first place. Why had I gone to that original place? My PCP had recommended it, thought it was more Christian-based and would treat me better. Pfooey, I had turned the other cheeck, got it bruised also, I'll take my chances with the heathens at my State University!
Seminar was March 9th, filled out application form, signed Transfer Of Information Form to get all my records from Verdompt ExProgram, and went home to wait. Less then 5 business days later, was called back, was told they were. very interested, could i come to Columbus for a meeting with their staff psychologist Dr Kramer at Martha Morehouse Pavilion on April 25th, did so , had great evaluation and nice one-on-one chat with him. Next step was a meeting with the same group,as prior poster spoke of. Can I hope and dream this could also be MY presurgical meeting? Oh please Sweet Lord in Heaven I hope so, I started out seeking Bariatric Surgery,in August 2015, not even a lady elephant is pregnant THAT LONG!
Maybe May 24th I'll hear good things? Going to feel that way until then!

I am so sorry you have been through all of this. I hope you do hear good things on the 24!!! Hopefully you don’t have to jump through anymore hoops!!! Sending positive vibes your way :)

Prayers and congrats to all, I’m looking forward to keeping up with everyone that has a surgery date close to mine.

When is your surgery date?

My surgery date is May 22. I been using the premier shakes as well, I have been told Wal Mart has the equate brand just like them, I’m gonna try them next, and I also wanna try Muscle Milk Pro I have Heard it’s better for us.

An update from lil Me- Wal-Mart Equate Protein Shakes
Vanilla
Chocolate
Caramel,
Didn't see,any 🍓👎
Muscle Milk,has Blueberry- may try it- I do love☕Blueberry.
Anyhow they do have the 30mg protein just like Premier, and run about $2 cheaper for a 4pack.😋