Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all, new member here!

I have been stalking the forums for a while, but once i had my surgery i made sure to join. I have 4 days post op had my surgery Monday the 23rd, my main issues right now are.

1- Not sleeping at night, maybe in 2-3hrs blocks with 2-3hrs awake

2-Not losing 1 pound so far, I know this is probably very common since i have so few days out.

3-Losing all energy by the afternoon and sleeping the whole day away...which i think circles back to my 1st issue.

I am doing my best to get my fluids in, i gulped too big today and had the hiccups for a good while, takes me a bit to drink all my Proteins which i assume is normal. Doing my best to get all my Vitamins in(7 total daily). Is there anything that anyone can advise a new noobie tiredness wise? I am trying not to fret over the lack of weight, just because i am sure my body is still in a whirlwind of "wtf did you do to me". Also if anyone doesn't mind me asking, which side hurt the worst? I am having the most pain on my right side...it is slowly getting better but that is where all the pain is located. Please hit me with any type of noob stuff that i need to keep on trucking :)

While you're off work, take naps when you need to. You're recovering from major surgery and your body needs healing time. For some reason, since the surgery is elective, we don't seem to think we need that bit of consideration. The sleep will even out as your body heals.

You probably shouldn't weigh yourself at all for the first week or two. The hospital pumped you full of fluids, plus you have swelling that needs to resolve.

Be kind to yourself. It will get better :)

Thank you so much :) that is what i am trying to tell myself. I know sometimes it needs to be reminded lol

Remember you were filled with CO2 so the surgeon could see. This gas needs to be expelled. Gas pain is most prevalent on the right and even up into the right shoulder. Walk walk walk and take a laxative to help things move along.

I took some stool softeners today cause i couldn't deal anymore. Trying to do as much walking as I can, i have noticed today that i am burping a lot more then i was earlier in the week

I'm officially 10 days post-op and I totally agree with what everyone is saying. I'm kind of sensitive to narcotic pain meds and anesthesia. I was allowed to take my Ambien at home so that helped a lot with sleep at night. Plus sleep is important to heal that new stomach. And only consuming like 500 calories or less can make you super tired. I'm surprised you're on Vitamins though? I guess all docs are different but I have to hold off for 2 weeks for my "weird" ones and start a children's chewable next week.

my pain was terrible for a week, I took every dose of oxycodone they gave me and I am really very good with pain normally. I'm still in pain but try to avoid any pain meds as I feel like Tylenol does squat. My pain is in the lower bottom right area, where they pulled out that old stomach! And some near my (former) drain site. I also have zombie bites all over from the metal staples lol. Proves I'm a true HARDCORE walking dead fan!

I think the fourth of fifth day I final stopped crying trying to get in or out of bed. Last few nights I blubber quietly when I go to bed at night because i sleep on my right side. At least the Ambien kicks in quick. ;)

5 hours ago, niknik1986 said:

I took some stool softeners today cause i couldn't deal anymore. Trying to do as much walking as I can, i have noticed today that i am burping a lot more then i was earlier in the week

Omg the gurgling noises for me! Sometimes I open my mouth and it sounds like I have pop rocks in there

9 hours ago, magpie26 said:

I'm officially 10 days post-op and I totally agree with what everyone is saying. I'm kind of sensitive to narcotic pain meds and anesthesia. I was allowed to take my Ambien at home so that helped a lot with sleep at night. Plus sleep is important to heal that new stomach. And only consuming like 500 calories or less can make you super tired. I'm surprised you're on Vitamins though? I guess all docs are different but I have to hold off for 2 weeks for my "weird" ones and start a children's chewable next week.

my pain was terrible for a week, I took every dose of oxycodone they gave me and I am really very good with pain normally. I'm still in pain but try to avoid any pain meds as I feel like Tylenol does squat. My pain is in the lower bottom right area, where they pulled out that old stomach! And some near my (former) drain site. I also have zombie bites all over from the metal staples lol. Proves I'm a true HARDCORE walking dead fan!

I think the fourth of fifth day I final stopped crying trying to get in or out of bed. Last few nights I blubber quietly when I go to bed at night because i sleep on my right side. At least the Ambien kicks in quick. ;)

They told me to start my Vitamins and Protein supplements the day i went home!! I was shocked about that as well, yesterday was the 1st full day that i got all my vitamins in my body lol. Trying to get all the Water in is also a challenge before the surgery i could suck down all needed water and go about my life. I am trying it with tea right now to see if that makes life any easier....it kinda does lol. i also FINALLY slept in bed last for about 3.5hrs (i have been sleeping on the couch) i know that it will get easier, its just getting to the easy days lol. Oh i am also having to take injections in my stomach :( my Dr said that because i had "lower extremity" swelling (which i think in dummy terms which i wished he would have used for me LOL means my legs) so i got that going on in my life also. My poor stomach looks like the red wedding right now LOL so many shanks. I took a sleeping pill last night and felt like it helped meh, i have to figure something out. so tired of sleeping during the day lol

I was told to concentrate on fluids. I lived on Water and chicken broth and sugar free popsicles for the first week. I didn’t start Vitamins until two weeks out. sleep was in 3 hour blocks. Awake at night. Finally started sleeping well on week 3. We’re all different. I also didn’t have weight loss until 2 &1/2 weeks. One day at a time. Your energy will come back.

They told me to start my Vitamins and Protein supplements the day i went home!! I was shocked about that as well, yesterday was the 1st full day that i got all my vitamins in my body lol. Trying to get all the Water in is also a challenge before the surgery i could suck down all needed water and go about my life. I am trying it with tea right now to see if that makes life any easier....it kinda does lol. i also FINALLY slept in bed last for about 3.5hrs (i have been sleeping on the couch) i know that it will get easier, its just getting to the easy days lol. Oh i am also having to take injections in my stomach [emoji20] my Dr said that because i had "lower extremity" swelling (which i think in dummy terms which i wished he would have used for me LOL means my legs) so i got that going on in my life also. My poor stomach looks like the red wedding right now LOL so many shanks. I took a sleeping pill last night and felt like it helped meh, i have to figure something out. so tired of sleeping during the day lol

The shots are to prevent blood clots. I had to do them too 10 days seems to take forever. It’s better when those are over.

Just wanted to update anyone who has commented on this as to how my day has been. Woke up at 3am feeling like i was going to vomit EVERYWHERE. Took a nausea pill and laid back down, woke up felt even worse. Tried to sip on some Protein Drink and it just sat there. Finally threw up 2 times and dear god the smell was this god awful sour smell (protein sitting on stomach, so hot lol). I couldnt take it anymore and asked me husband to take my to the ER, they did xrays, so much blood work and i do mean so much. Come find out its because i have NOT fully gone to the bathroom, i went a small amount a couple of days ago and i guess it wasnt enough. I was backed up and it was not allowing food to go anywhere. Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but i am happy to know what it is in case it rears its ugly head again!!!

23 minutes ago, niknik1986 said:

Just wanted to update anyone who has commented on this as to how my day has been. Woke up at 3am feeling like i was going to vomit EVERYWHERE. Took a nausea pill and laid back down, woke up felt even worse. Tried to sip on some Protein Drink and it just sat there. Finally threw up 2 times and dear god the smell was this god awful sour smell (protein sitting on stomach, so hot lol). I couldnt take it anymore and asked me husband to take my to the ER, they did xrays, so much blood work and i do mean so much. Come find out its because i have NOT fully gone to the bathroom, i went a small amount a couple of days ago and i guess it wasnt enough. I was backed up and it was not allowing food to go anywhere. Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but i am happy to know what it is in case it rears its ugly head again!!!

Oh, my, that's terrible. Hope you're better soon.

I hope you’re better today! Thinking of you

12 hours ago, amartinez8853 said:

I hope you’re better today! Thinking of you

MUCH BETTER TODAY!!! Making sure to sip sip sip all day and have some more Miralax just to be on the safe side :)