Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confessions from a non-com (as in non-compliant)

OK, I went to the grocery store after work to pick up a rotisserie chicken and some veggies - good so far. Picked up 6 cans of tuna on sale, still good. 2 loaves of bread - not for me - still good. Wandered down the produce aisle and what do I see? The most gorgeous pears! Beautiful, gold with a rosy blush. Temptation! I picked them up - perfectly ripe - soft but not bruised. I succumbed and brought them home. I still could have made good choices, but . . . No, I did not eat Protein first! Yes, I washed off one of those beauties and ate nearly 1/3 of it before the consequences of my actions caught up with me. Now I'm guiltily sitting here stuffed to my tonsils but it was worth it! I think the snake offered Eve a pear and the Bible just got it wrong!

Who else needs to confess?

1 minute ago, TaylorMade4One said:

Hahaha!! Ok, so your supposed to eat Protein first? Why? Still kinda new to all this.

Yeah, that's the big rule. They want to make sure you hit your Protein goals for the day, plus the protein "sticks" in your stomach, making you feel full. So you eat the protein first, then if you're still hungry, add veggies and fruit, etc. I'm just a wild woman today ;)

This is good to know. I learn new things here everyday !! :P

Oh O&D the mental picture I just got. Location: Garden of Eden. Principal Players Eve-Snake-perfectly Ripe Pear. Over at one side scribe with steno pad of papyrus. Can't spell "pear", jots down "Apple" and the rest is Biblical History. Just call me Steven Steinberg, I can visiualize and plot it all!😍

Maybe it's Speilberg but you know what I mean!

12 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

OK, I went to the grocery store after work to pick up a rotisserie chicken and some veggies - good so far. Picked up 6 cans of tuna on sale, still good. 2 loaves of bread - not for me - still good. Wandered down the produce aisle and what do I see? The most gorgeous pears! Beautiful, gold with a rosy blush. Temptation! I picked them up - perfectly ripe - soft but not bruised. I succumbed and brought them home. I still could have made good choices, but . . . No, I did not eat Protein first! Yes, I washed off one of those beauties and ate nearly 1/3 of it before the consequences of my actions caught up with me. Now I'm guiltily sitting here stuffed to my tonsils but it was worth it! I think the snake offered Eve a pear and the Bible just got it wrong!

Who else needs to confess?

Any dumping symptoms or fallout from the higher sugar/fructose content of the ripe pear?

Sounds delish btw. Only thing you were missing was a Smoked Gouda Light cheese Wedge. :)

3 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Any dumping symptoms or fallout from the higher sugar/fructose content of the ripe pear?

Sounds delish btw. Only thing you were missing was a Smoked Gouda Light cheese Wedge. :)

I've got a sleeve, so no dumping, no sugar penalty. But it was only about 30 calories total anyway. But they felt like the most awful, guiltiest calories ever!

13 hours ago, TaylorMade4One said:

Hahaha!! Ok, so your supposed to eat Protein first? Why? Still kinda new to all this.

You FOR SURE want to eat your Protein first.... if you eat other things you won't have room and you won't meet your protein goals. Typically you should have around 80-90 grams of protein per day. It will take every meal of protein rich choices to meet this goal. Plus, besides protein and veggies....you should limit your whole grains and fruit consumption. Don't want to overload on carbs. You will learn all of this when you see the NUT.

35 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I've got a sleeve, so no dumping, no sugar penalty. But it was only about 30 calories total anyway. But they felt like the most awful, guiltiest calories ever!

I feel guilty at least twice a week when I eat my beloved cantaloupe. And I look forward to it each time. YUM!

22 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

Plus, besides Protein and veggies....you should limit your whole grains and fruit consumption. Don't want to overload on carbs. You will learn all of this when you see the NUT.

And of course, this all depends on which diet you follow and your nutritionist's ideas.

I eat a ton of whole grains and fruit. Eating a pear for a snack would work perfect on my plan.

My plan requires 60g of protein a day.

I drink a 30g protein Premier Protein over the course of the day in my coffee....so all I have to really "worry" about is getting 30 more grams in during the day.

There are 5 grams of protein in a piece of whole wheat toast:)

4 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

And of course, this all depends on which diet you follow and your nutritionist's ideas.

I eat a ton of whole grains and fruit. Eating a pear for a snack would work perfect on my plan.

My plan requires 60g of Protein a day.

I drink a 30g protein Premier Protein over the course of the day in my coffee....so all I have to really "worry" about is getting 30 more grams in during the day.

There are 5 grams of protein in a piece of whole wheat toast:)

I eat whole grains and fruit as well. I just said "limit" because I think early on with restriction at its highest...its still important to follow the protein first rule, then veggies.

60 grams is light compared to most programs I've seen, but that's great! I drink a smoothie every morning with 45grams. I'd be killing it under your program. My NUT ideally would like to see me around 100 grams per day. I usually hit that no program.

My plan would say a pear is OK too, but I know that there is a lot of sugar in fruit and that's why I crave my cantaloupe. Its my "dessert" so to speak.

Edited by AshAsh1

phase four.jpg

Funny how different they all are, isn't it? :)