Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tome off work - how much??

I was sleeved on a Tuesday and went back to work that Friday. I have an office job and, other than the flight of steps to get to my office, get to spend most of the time sitting.

I've been off work for 3 weeks. I see my surgeon today to see if he will release me to work. A portion of my job is high impact that requires a lot walking, bending, and lifting. While the other half of my job consist of massive paperwork at a desk. So it's anyone's guess if he'll releases me today.

Show someone a little kindness each day~Miss Tee

Hi there! So I had my rny on wed 4/18...I planned on returning to work the next wed...I am a very hard worker and it’s difficult for me to take time off...my recovery was much slower than anticipated....I am still off work and after a few post ops they asked me to stay home four weeks! I cried...but I am hoping to return at 2 weeks. Today I finally feel like I turned a corner but recovery has been very difficult:...I have no problem eating or getting all my fluids in but I had extreme pain sit to stand, laying down to sitting up, going to the bathroom etc. I would take at least a week and see how you do.

1 hour ago, daniellelosing said:

Hi there! So I had my rny on wed 4/18...I planned on returning to work the next wed...I am a very hard worker and it’s difficult for me to take time off...my recovery was much slower than anticipated....I am still off work and after a few post ops they asked me to stay home four weeks! I cried...but I am hoping to return at 2 weeks. Today I finally feel like I turned a corner but recovery has been very difficult:...I have no problem eating or getting all my fluids in but I had extreme pain sit to stand, laying down to sitting up, going to the bathroom etc. I would take at least a week and see how you do.

Hi Danielle,

My surgery was 4/3. Yesterday my surgeon gave me a return to work date of 5/7. It's possible I suppose I could have went back before then but my job performance would have been seriously lacking. Trying to stay on schedule with liquids, forcing my tired body to push myself without hurting myself, and making sure I get enough rest, which is a bit difficult because I start at 6:30 am. I'm a workaholic so it's difficult to sit at home. This surgery is suppose to be a lifestyle change and fresh start. I neglected my body to get to this point and I wont cheat myself in the healing process. I applaud 👏anyone who has the ability to return to work immediately. Some people return to work for financial reasons, they have desk jobs with very little movement, or they simply just well enough to return. I think we have to be honest with ourselves when it come to returning to work. Listen to your body because it's been through quite the traumatic experience ....it's confused.

Yeah in most cases you can return to working sooner, this way if you have any problems they have reserved the right to say "Ha Ha, I told you so!"
A case similar from my own life. I had a leg fracture, doctor signed for me to return to work at 6 weeks, I continued to have difficulties with said leg. At follow-up appointment doctorbtells me I didn't want you to return to work that soon, I gave you the return to work slip because I thought you would expect it. I had not requested that slip in the first place. The type of insurance I had at this place was similar to, but not AFLAC, would,have paid for a leg fracture up to 4 months disability. I would have continued to receive money and my leg in all likelihood would not have healed with a detectable limp. Oh but hindsight is 20/20, and his vision for,my future wasn't. Wish I could have kicked his shin and given him the limp!😲

I was supposed to only be off for a week, but I ended up being off for 3 weeks because of bad dehydration after surgery.

My doctor requested 2 weeks for VSG, even though I have a desk job. I go back on Monday and will be traveling to a conference on Tuesday for the rest of the week, so that will be a good test for me!

I took a day trip about 8 days out that required 6 hours in the car (memorial service). I was exhausted the next day, but having this additional week has me feeling ready to go. I've done some work from home this week and that has been fine.

I had the vsg, and I took off 2 weeks and a couple days. I am currently back with 4 hr days, and will start full days next week (4 weeks out from surgery). I've felt great, and think I would have been fine going back after 1 week. My work isn't physically strenuous though.

I took a weeks vacation and worked from home for a week. I have a desk job so it wasn't that big of a deal for me to go back but I was definitely tired in the beginning. It all depends on how much pain you are in and how you recover.