Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left side pain (2 weeks post-op)

Hello, I am new here so I hope I am doing this correctly. I am excited to be here.

I had been doing very well, until yesterday I woke up in extreme pain. It is sharp and on my left side under rib cage and radiates down. I have begun eating more pureed foods which I had no trouble eating. I have been exercising everyday since doctor released me, for 60 minuets at moderate pace. Sometimes I feel so hungry, and I feel as I eat to much but truly don’t think I do, but maybe I do. Here is a day for me. I have a 1/2 cup of yogurt, Protein Shake, Jello, and 3 popsicles, and a egg. Then my Water. This is my day right now. I have been somewhat constipated, but I don’t think that is where the pain is coming from. It might be I guess but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this as well. I am afraid to over eat or stretch out my stomach. Oh and I did eat a jolly rancher with out thinking about it. I forgot that I was not supposed to do that. ( I hope I did not mess something up over a jolly rancher!) Your thoughts would be appropriated! Hope you all have a wonderful day!

I don't think you messed anything up with a 20 calorie jolly rancher. Sounds like you are doing what you are supposed to be doing. As for the pain there are many possible causes for those symptoms (most are digestive tract related), but the most probable in light of your surgery are probably some sort of food intolerance, and/or major Constipation. If you feel constipated try taking a laxative and see if that relieves things.

I would hold off on the excercise if I were you. I was told not to excercise until after 9 weeks. I'm still not going every day due to stomach pain or gas or othr problems. I had a pain in the same area and my dr told me it was the muscle and everything trying to adjust after surgery. Whether or not it's true I have no idea and I also don't think the jolly rancher had anything to do with it. Call your dr and ask. I did... maybe you will get a different answer than I did.. hang in there..

Also you are not getting in enough calories for the excercise as well. I'm still getting in 800 or under and was light headed one time while at the gym so I cut back.

9 minutes ago, vze4n4n8 said:

I would hold off on the excercise if I were you. I was told not to excercise until after 9 weeks. I'm still not going every day due to stomach pain or gas or othr problems. I had a pain in the same area and my dr told me it was the muscle and everything trying to adjust after surgery. Whether or not it's true I have no idea and I also don't think the jolly rancher had anything to do with it. Call your dr and ask. I did... maybe you will get a different answer than I did.. hang in there..

9 minutes ago, vze4n4n8 said:

Also you are not getting in enough calories for the excercise as well. I'm still getting in 800 or under and was light headed one time while at the gym so I cut back.

I could not disagree with these sentiments more. Most people with gastric sleeve are going to be expected to be doing light exercise as soon as they leave the hospital, will be cleared for moderate cardio at 2-3 weeks out and generally be cleared for a full weight training regiment at 6 weeks or so. The only reason for any limitation at all is the increased risk of a hernia developing in the first 6 weeks of surgery.

Lightheadedness is a function of dehydration not lack of available calories. Thankfully being obese we all have an abundant reserve of "fuel" to power our exercise routine, so at this stage you don't really have to worry about a caloric deficit from exercise (just make sure you are getting sufficient Protein and more importantly liquid in your diet).

Edited by aNYCdb

Not to get into a pissing contest here, but I have never heard 2-3 weeks after surgery for more than light excercise. I was never told to do moderate cardio until after 9 weeks. So here to each his own.

I have not been dehydrated. I have been drinking over 64 ounces and some days up to 100 ounces of Water and fluids. So that kinds sinks the dehydated theory here.

My doctor told me to look out for calorie deficit... and after loosing X amount of weight early on after surgery we no longer that that abundant reserve of fuel to power our excercise.

Remember, everyone is different. There is not one all size fits all or all information is valid for all. IF that was the case life would be so much easier.

Of course everyone is different, but we are all human so the variation does have it's limit. I've been on this board a while (and done additional research) and have never even seen a suggestion that you should be waiting 9 weeks to start exercising, perhaps you had other factors with your particular surgery that necessitated that, but that is pretty atypical.

Also just because you drink plenty of Water a day doesn't mean that you don't get dehydrated. Most of us (especially those of us on the larger side of things can easily sweat out 32-64 oz of liquid during an hour of exercise, which is why it is important to be constantly hydrating during your workout.

Beyond that when you stop your workout you may also experience a temporary blood pressure drop that can similarly cause lightheartedness. These are far more likely explanations than the idea that an obese person is running out of fuel.

All that said I apologize to the OP for hijacking her question.