Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve or bypass, how did you choose?

I have chosen the bypass BUT I now currently have the sleeve. I am getting a revision.

i originally wanted the bypass 7 years ago but my then doctor convinced me to get the sleeve. I knew along I wanted to restriction and malabsorption but I didn’t fight for it.

So go with your gut...maybe the pun is intended lol

Yes I am happy with going with a bypass I have lost 68lbs since surgery in November and haven't had any problems, The only thing I have noticed is that I use to love chicken now I can't stand it. I went for abypass because I need a double hip replacement and I am now getting them replaced on June the 5th and looking forward to pain and crutch for once in four years.

I have the same issue with sweet cravings and acid reflux. My doctor recommends the bypass. Is bypass called "RNY"? Still learning the lingo. Lol

Lol, it’s ok.. takes a little to catch up.. this is my second time attempting the journey for approval(had to put things on hold in the past) so I’m familiar with the whole process. The RNY is the bypass.. the doctor was the first one to suggest it after reviewing medical history.. after my first visit with my nutritionist and her also learning my eating habits and my medical history she too suggested the RNY..

I’m 5’6
278 lbs with a BMI between 43-45

He said with the bypass and following physical therapy and nutritionist orders I can lose a little more than half my weight! (That would take so much pressure off my joints and my lower back) I have two small slipped disks in my lower back and need to lose this weight to avoid further damage(amongst other health issues that have been recently discovered) smh

I’ve been chocolate free for almost 4 months.. I’ve been eating A LOT of sugar free cherry flavored Jello lol.. helps with my sweet tooth.. also yogurts and bananas.

I am trusting my Dr he’s been doing these types of surgeries since 1997 and believe he has seen enough since then to know what works best for the individual cases he’s dealing with.

Definitely educate yourself on what’s best as well and discuss why you feel the other option is best? From what I’ve seen the support groups I’ve been to in the last three months they have a lot of lap banders and quite a few VSG coming back from other drs that had those procedures done and being revised to the RNY

Good luck with your decision.. definitely make an informed decision.. the support groups helped me a lot as well with sticking with the RNY

[emoji991] Instagram: milaalmodovar
[emoji317] SC: almodovarmila

I have been diabetic for nearly twenty years, so the bypass was the choice my surgeon felt would have the best chance of reversing my diabetes. it will also help me lose the most weight. I went with his recommendation.

On 4/22/2018 at 4:04 PM, Bryn910 said:

I have chosen the bypass BUT I now currently have the sleeve. I am getting a revision.

i originally wanted the bypass 7 years ago but my then doctor convinced me to get the sleeve. I knew along I wanted to restriction and malabsorption but I didn’t fight for it.

So go with your gut...maybe the pun is intended lol

Why are you doing the revision? Is it due to reflux or weight loss issues?

I currently have the lap band in place and will have that stupid thing removed, but my doctor said I could do either one. I'm perplexed so I'm glad for this thread.

1 hour ago, annie93 said:

Why are you doing the revision? Is it due to reflux or weight loss issues?

I currently have the lap band in place and will have that stupid thing removed, but my doctor said I could do either one. I'm perplexed so I'm glad for this thread.

It was due to reflux and weight gain. I only lost about 30 lbs with the sleeve and I need to lose 100+ lbs.

i wish I had done the bypass originally.