Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

so many chores, so little interest or inclination....

You just explained my feelings for the day...

ahhhhhh, that sound you hear is me grinning.

dh just called his mom with whatever excuse he was giving her to not meet them for dinner. w/all the travel - cozy rain he wants to just veg & i could not be any HAPPIER.

Vacuuming done; kitchen cupboard doors washed; laundry room floor washed; wine transferred to second stage; dinner in the oven...what next?

umm, you come to my house to do the same here?:wink:

lu - so enjoy all the food and wine by yourselfs ! - NICE

re mushrooms:

Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup:

5 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms

5 ounces fresh portobello mushrooms

5 ounces fresh cremini (or porcini) mushrooms

1 tablespoon good olive oil

1/4 pound (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided

1 cup chopped yellow onion

1 carrot, chopped

1 sprig fresh thyme plus 1 teaspoon minced thyme leaves, divided

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (2 leeks)

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup dry white wine

1 cup half-and-half

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions

Clean the mushrooms by wiping them with a dry paper towel. Don't wash them! Separate the stems, trim off any bad parts, and coarsely chop the stems. Slice the mushroom caps 1/4-inch thick and, if there are big, cut them into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.

To make the stock, heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large pot. Add the chopped mushroom stems, the onion, carrot, the sprig of thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Add 6 cups Water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Strain, reserving the liquid. You should have about 4 1/2 cups of stock. If not, add some water.

Meanwhile, in another large pot, heat the remaining 1/4 pound of butter and add the leeks. Cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until the leeks begin to brown. Add the sliced mushroom caps and cook for 10 minutes, or until they are browned and tender. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the white wine and stir for another minute, scraping the bottom of the pot. Add the mushroom stock, minced thyme leaves, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the half-and-half, cream, and parsley, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and heat through but do not boil. Serve hot.

Wild Mushroom and Truffle Ragu over Fettuccini:

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/2 cup diced onion

1 tablespoon minced garlic

2 pounds wild and exotic mushrooms, cleaned and diced

2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves

2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves

1 cup chopped tomatoes

2 tablespoons Tomato paste

2 cups mushroom, chicken or veal stock

1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for Pasta water

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

4 teaspoons truffle oil

1 pound fettucine

1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Chopped fresh herbs, for garnish (such as basil, parsley, thyme)

Directions

Place a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and butter to the pan. Once the butter melts and starts to foam, add the diced onions and saute until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they have released most of their liquid, about 10 minutes. Add the thyme, oregano, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and stock to the pan. Bring the contents of the pan to a boil and reduce to a gentle boil. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the liquid has reduced and thickened, about 20 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper, and add the basil, parsley and truffle oil to the pan. Stir to incorporate and reserve while you cook the pasta.

Fill a large 6-quart pot with 1-gallon of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Season the water with salt. Place the dried pasta into the boiling water, and stir using a long handled spoon until the water returns to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, or until it has a slight chew, about 12 to 14 minutes. Once cooked, remove the pasta from the water and drain through a colander set in the sink. Pour the pasta onto a large platter or bowl, and spoon the sauce over top of the pasta. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and chopped fresh herbs.

I knew I could count on you and Luluc to give me some ideas of what else to do with mushrooms. Yay!

They sound delicious! :wink::drool:

Any suggestions on where to find truffle oil as I guarantee you that the small town I live in will not have this just immediately available...

Hope you have a wonderful birthday SnT--doing only things you enjoy from sun up til you are snoring away!!!

We fiddle farted around all day long--did a little of this and a little of that! Now DH is mowing the yard, and I am packing us to go to Albuquerque for the next couple of days. He has his annual cardiology appointment Monday morning. The state fair is going on in ABQ now, so we are going to go down and go through it, and spend some time away from home, and our jobs!!! We try to go every year, and just enjoy. We have no set plans this year, no concert on tap or anything.

The one silly thing we have ALWAYS done, is to squeeze into one of the photo booths that prints out the strip of 4 pics. We have them in chronological order, in a clip here on the computer bulletin board, we laugh over them! I will say we both fit in there much better than we used to!!! And I do not object to getting them, I used to bi*ch up a storm over it!!

Lu--- glad you get to snuggle down at home....since that is what you prefer, I totally understand!

We grilled a nice ribeye out, had some fresh squash from the garden, and ate early.....just cuz we CAN!

Everyone have a great evening!!!

Kat - Sounds like a lovely day today and planned for ABQ.

Slow place here tonight; everyone off doing things I guess. DH and I just watched the movie 21 grams - 4/5 is our rating. I really like Sean Penn.

That's it for me. It is past my bedtime - just need DH to try and get a drop into my eye - a tough time for both of us!!

Nite all.

PJTP...

Holy crap - is the day over ALREADY?????

Got up and did a 2 mile wog with H - funny ache in the right hip made me walk it today, but I walked FAST! I'm a little perturbed...I WALK faster than I JOG! WTF???? :eek:

Went to new location for our church - sold old building, now sharing space with another church of compatible philosophy, so we moved some of our stuff in to get ready for 1st service of the year tomorrow at 9 am. Yep, it's early, but this way, we are not disturbing the other church, and they won't disturb us. We'll do joint 'coffee hour' between services to mix and mingle...

DD has Psych class on Sat mornings - 9 am until almost noon - she's still getting adjusted to college. Says her Prof is boring and she's not really understanding the subject matter. I suggested reading the chapters BEFORE the class and then asking questions for clarification :tongue2:

H had campaign stuff today - he's running for Board of Ed - but it rained all morning, so not a lot going on, but he was out of the house.

Went to see the new Tyler Perry movie "I Can Do Bad All By Myself" - wonderful!I won't give away any of the plot stuff in case anyone is going to see it, but I'll definately be adding it to my library - Love Tyler Perry!

Did the grocery shopping, made hamburgers (bought bulk, 'roll my own' so to speak) and did a little cleaning up around the house. Spaced out a bit and forgot I need to post in both of my online classes, so it's going to be a late night for me. Applied for another govt job - makes 11 now.

Got a lovely email from a Professor on the campus who was our regular Sunday speaker at church last year - he's willing to write me a letter of reference. I'm just not sure if I want to have him slant it toward a specific position, or make it rather generic so I can use it for ANY position I apply for...thoughts, anyone?

Nose back to the books / discussion board for class. Have a lovely night, everyone! :wub:

Evening everyone. I don't know about anyone else, but I had a heck of a time getting on here most of the afternoon and evening. The pages would never load. I finally made it to the problem part of the board, but could never get the start a new thread thing to load to question if anyone else was having trouble.

I hope everyone had a great day. I spent the entire day doing nothing! I really enjoyed that.

Ebony-hope that ache goes away.

Tap-I hope that your eyes starts to recover soon.

Lu-I hope that you and DH had a wonderful evening in.

Kat-have fun on your trip.

Heartfire-I hope you are having a great time!

SNT-I hope you had a great birthday.

Suzyt-I hope that you didn't over do it. Take it easy.

KC-Thanks again for the recipes. I have added them to my things to try list.

Anyone that I have left out, it is not on purpose (calling out individuals always gets me in trouble). I hope that everyone has a great rest of the weekend!

tap: re truffle oil - you might have to order it or on your next venture out to a bigger town/city - Amazon has some for 9.99 - but you really don't need it -it's optional.

lu - I'm also thinking - roast them down - almost carmelized and toss w/ a little cream, fresh thyme, garlic and a little parm - chop them up and fill ravioli.......yes it's that time again!

you could do the same thing (bigger chop on them) add just a touch of brandy and use as a topping for a seared steak

Edited by kcmagu

You did deserve it! I will go for the triple points....

Happy Birthday SNT!:wub:

CRAP

HAPPY BDAY SNT

**saves smartass comments for fb**

Happy Birthday SNT!!

Happy Birthday, SNT!!
Hope you have a wonderful birthday SnT--doing only things you enjoy from sun up til you are snoring away!!!

Thanks you guys!!!!! :tongue2: