Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

So you ladies are suggesting that (much like Highlander), when it comes to males in the PJTP, "there can be only one"??

I'm thinking a gladatorial death match in an arena? Ceradad may be bigger, smarter and faster than me, but I have "hypno eyes" and know several card tricks. Advantage: me.

BBk we all missed you!

I don't see my MIL as my husband is deceased. BUT I do see my bf's mother regularly. She is crazy. She is not mean, but I definitely think she has some missing links in her brain.

Didn't you ever see the PSA where we were all instructed that "words hit as hard as a fist"? I would never stoop to name calling! Heh.....

Hi all - been busy lately and haven't posted but back on site today and started out with doing the Snake Catcher's course - awesome fun!! It started out with a general talk on fears and controlling reactions, went on to playing pass the python with some really cute Stimpsons pythons, and then we got into the good stuff - catch and release on the big nasties!

We started with the Tiger Snakes, which are ranked 4th in the world on the Most Venomous* list. There were two Tigers, each about 3-4ft and they were fairly slow moving (we were in air-conditioning, so they were cold). They were fairly easy to catch inside on the carpet. These are really gorgeous looking snakes - dark brown stripes on a yellow background/belly.

Next was the Death Adder, ranked 9th. These are quite small, very fat snakes, about 18"-2ft long, but with a really fast strike rate. These we had to catch outside, in the leaf litter and around under the bushes.

Third was the Gwardar (aka Western Brown), ranked 10th, one of the brown snake family. He was around 5ft, lovely reddish brown colour, quite slim and very fast. He took a bit of catching, as he kept sliding through the hook and getting away.

Lastly, we had to catch a large, then a small Dugite, ranked 14th. the small one was MUCH faster and more aggressive than the bigger one - his name was "Speedy". Strangely enough, the dugites scared me more than any of the other snakes, probably because I am much more aware of them and their dangers. Dugites are native to the south west of Western Australia and are quite common around Perth, especially in new housing suburban areas. I've grown up with multiple warnings about the dangers of dugites and know them to be a really fast striking aggressive animal. (The guys in my father's rugby club gave my mother the nickname of "The Dugite", as she was known to have a really nasty bite to her tongue :biggrin: hehe).

Forgive the bad photos - I gave my phone to the guy sitting next to me to take pics for me and he had the shakes really badly :) Anyway, the photos might not be very clear or very flattering but OMG, I look like a normal person in them!! Not a fattie! YAY ME!!

Me with a Stimpsons python:

Sue-Snake.jpg

Snake-Knee.jpg

Snake-Bracelet.jpg

Tiger snake on the carpet:

TigerSnake1.jpg

Me catching a tiger snake:

Sue-Tiger.jpg

*25 Most Venomous Snakes in the World

(Note - this is not necessarily the most dangerous, as it doesn't take into account how often they are encountered by humans, how aggressive they are, how many strikes they make, etc. It is solely on toxicity of the venom.)

1. Small-scaled snake (aka Inland Taipan, Fierce Snake) - Australia

2. Brown Snake - Australia

3. Taipan - Australia

4. Tiger Snake - Australia

5. Reevesby Island Tiger Snake - Australia

6. Beaked Sea Snake - Australia

7. Western Australian Tiger Snake - Australia

8. Chappell Island Tiger Snake - Australia

9. Death Adder - Australia

10. Gwardar (aka Western Brown) - Australia

11. Australian Copperhead - Australia

12. Indian Cobra - India

13. Black Mamba - Africa

14. Dugite - Australia

15. Papuan Black Snake - Papua/New Guinea & Australia

16. Yellow-banded Snake - Australia

17. Rough-scaled Snake - Australia

18. King Cobra - India, Southeast Asia

19. Blue-bellied Snake - Australia

20. Collett's Snake - Australia

21. King Brown Snake - Australia

22. Red-bellied Black Snake - Australia

23. Small-eyed Snake - Australia

24. Spotted Snake - Australia

25. Eastern Diamond-back Rattlesnake - USA

Hmmm... 21 out of the top 25 - not bad going really :)

Fanny! You look great! I was going to make a cliche' Freudian remark about you needing to "handle snakes", but I will resist.....must resist......Oh, and WHY WERE YOU HANDLING SNAKES?!?

Well they didn't have my favourite species, the old one-eyed trous... ooops, never mind!! The mining company pays for volunteers to do the Snake Catcher's course, because all of those snakes (taipan, tiger, death adder, gwardar, etc) are commonly found around the mine site and often in the camp, in the rooms and ablution blocks. When a snake is spotted, we have to call for the trained snake catchers to come and get him, then release them into the wild - I'm now one of those trained people!

PS: Thanks for the compliment - I can't wait for next week, when I'm going to get the BF to take some official pics for my one year bandiversary.

LOL - it has EVERYTHING to do with that i'm half jewish & from NY....oh and being liberal doesn't help:wink:

but then again - hubby is HER baby and she would like to remain his rightful owner till her death...or his:eek:

That's right. I'm surprised you can even live in redneck country down there.:biggrin:

Fanny - I don't think you should write articles for the Australian travel industry....ewww snakes!! I do not like snakes - not alive, not dead, not to eat, not to wear....nope. snakes are not part of my natural world order!

However, yeah you for the pic, and the snake charming course.

Plain- nice new avatar. And Plain, your rapier wit is sure to be an asset in your male bonding/battling with Ceradad.

Ceradad - Toy with Plain a little before you declare victory - let him think he has a chance!

Smith - congrats on the BMI countdown.

It's Tuesday morning, the snow is falling, and somehow I have to do a full day's work even though there are so many Christmas things I need to know - knit two sweaters, make more cakes and Cookies, finsih decorating the tree, get out the christmas dishes and acoutrement .....

So you ladies are suggesting that (much like Highlander), when it comes to males in the PJTP, "there can be only one"??

I'm thinking a gladatorial death match in an arena? Ceradad may be bigger, smarter and faster than me, but I have "hypno eyes" and know several card tricks. Advantage: me.

I may be bigger, but I know alot (read: everyone I know) who would disagree that I am smarter than anyone. I mean c'mon, my 6 yo DD is smarter than me. My german shepherd has proven time and time again he is smarter than me. Therefore, if I am smarter than you, there is trouble ahead.:biggrin:

Btw, is it wrong for me to admit here that I get along with, and actually like, my MIL. I see the in laws probably 2-3 times a week. Actually hang out with them on Sundays usually.

Edited by Ceradad

Fanny, you have just convinced me that I no longer want to visit Australia. Non poisonous snakes are fine in my book. But you just listed how many poisonous snakes in your country? I guess I will travel there thru you and the Travel channel. :biggrin:

Plain I like you avitar. you look.....mmmmmmm.......I know the word....mmmmmmm... just having trouble typing it.......human, not psyco or an alian.....and all this time I thought you were related to Norman Bates or Alf! :)

That's right. I'm surprised you can even live in redneck country down there.:biggrin:

You said it before I did. I'm surprised they let her live. :):)

Well they didn't have my favourite species, the old one-eyed trous... ooops, never mind!!

BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :biggrin:

Let's hear it for the carnivores! :)

PJTP...2 weeks banded and loving it! Head hunger sucks, but I'm working my way through it.

Nice to "see" everyone again - I missed y'all! Had a LOT of reading to do to catch up...healing nicely, though sneezing still hurts like a b*tch!

Going for my first post-op appointment in a few minutes...will post soon with results. Happy to be down a total of 24 lbs since I started the journey (self-imposed pre-op diet). Looking forward to a MUCH healthier 2009...:biggrin: