Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pooping is stressful!

To much info...maybe but hey with this type of surgery might as well put it all out there, I'm sure it won't be the last poop post! So I'm 9 days out. Haven't had BM since the day of surgery, called doc today he suggested doing a suppository....well that didn't take long to get things sliding! It wasn't pleasant...at all. I was afraid to push because i was afraid of straining too much. It was like having pregnancy contractions your body just pushes on its own. Seriously. I start freaking out thinking I'm going to create a leak trying to poop...i just wanted to **** and get off the pot! Ugh i think that endeavor was more stressful then surgery!

add Fiber or a stool softener for a while till your past the fear of tearing something

lots of choices on the market.

I agree with allwet. I suffer from chronic Constipation. Been using Miralax every day for 10 years now and it works. Very safe as well.

You seriously can do some damage from going without BM for too long or straining too much.

Two words: squatty potty

Total lifesaver.

The cramping is caused by the medication in the suppository. Many laxatives will do the same thing. Your surgeon recommended the suppository bc it gets instant results.

Miralax should be your first choice for bowel maintenance. It will not cause cramps or interact with other medications.

Total lifesaver.

Ditto. This thing is amazing

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon recommended milk of magnesia over miralax. Which i took daily but i don't think it helped. I naturally have IBS issues anyway so I'm used to the whole cramping thing i just was afraid to over strain with it being the first BM after surgery. I have never been one to take BM's everyday i normallyonly go 2 maybe 3 times a week when eating food. so this 8 days wasn't unusual for me since I'm still on liquids. My friend and i was just discussing the squatty potty. Lol!

Hey Senor Squatty does work!👍😝

Careful with Smooth Move tea— it works! BUT be home and prepare for stomach cramping lol

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180 [emoji736] (4/2/18)
GW#3- 160
CW 174
5’6”

This is majorly TMI....but seriously, folks....a bulb syringe and some warm soapy water....just a squirt or two...makes a world of difference. No straining, no cramps. Kinda gross for some folks, but I'm a little clinical about these things...and the instant relief without side effects makes it worth it to me.

12 hours ago, star2017 said:

To much info...maybe but hey with this type of surgery might as well put it all out there, I'm sure it won't be the last poop post! So I'm 9 days out. Haven't had BM since the day of surgery, called doc today he suggested doing a suppository....well that didn't take long to get things sliding! It wasn't pleasant...at all. I was afraid to push because i was afraid of straining too much. It was like having pregnancy contractions your body just pushes on its own. Seriously. I start freaking out thinking I'm going to create a leak trying to poop...i just wanted to **** and get off the pot! Ugh i think that endeavor was more stressful then surgery!

I've been where you have been! Pre surgery, I had a bowel movement that essentially got stuck, FOR 2 hours.... I used an enema and everything...nothing worked. . Eventually my body took over and started contracting on its own. I ended up with internal tearing and MONTHS of pain as a result of this incident. I ended up having a flex sig procedure to try and find the cause of the bleeding, swelling, ect. after the incident. This is when they discovered the internal tears. From that point on, I take Miralax nearly every day and soluble fiber every day.

Constipation is something to treat seriously! Drink lots of Water, and I recommend Fiber once you are regular. Since post op, if I get constipated I take Milk of Magnesium. It seems to do the trick.

Benefiber & stool softener, total lifesavers!

I also think the first one is particularly traumatic because of the opioids we take after surgery.

12 hours ago, SIPS in Seattle said:

Total lifesaver.

Amen. Just bought one and my life is totally changed. No more BM stress!