Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing weight on pre op liquid diet

I'm on day 8 of my pre op liquid diet and have followed it correctly. I've only lost 4.5 pounds. I've read where people lose 15-20 pounds. Should I be concerned?

Your body might possibly be on starvation mode because it’s not used to so few calories. Are you getting enough grams of Protein in? I don’t think it’s so important as to how much weight you loose on pre-op diet than shrinking your liver prior to surgery unless your doctor has a certain number in mind for you to reach.

All I'm drinking is Protein and Water. Each shake is 30 grams and I have two each day and then Soup for dinner.< /p>

You've lost 4.5 pounds in 8 days? That's great! Losing 15-20 pounds in 8 days sounds very dangerous! You're doing great! Keep doing what you're doing! One of the biggest traps we WLS patients fall into is comparing ourselves to others. Remember: You're not running anyone else's race & nobody else is running yours. Good luck. You are not alone.

Remember that starting weight plays into amount lost and how fast.

You sound like you’re doing just great- don’t worry! What diet have you been on that you’ve lost over 4 pounds in a week?!

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180 [emoji736] (4/2/18)
GW#3- 160
CW 174
5’6”

You've lost 4.5 pounds in 8 days? That's great! Losing 15-20 pounds in 8 days sounds very dangerous! You're doing great! Keep doing what you're doing! One of the biggest traps we WLS patients fall into is comparing ourselves to others. Remember: You're not running anyone else's race & nobody else is running yours. Good luck. You are not alone.

Thank you so much for the encouragement. Everything you said makes better sense now that I think about it. I was stressing because I was disappointed because of all my efforts to stay focused during this two week liquid diet. I will gladly take my 4.5 pound weight loss as a success [emoji4]

14 hours ago, browneyez42 said:

I'm on day 8 of my pre op liquid diet and have followed it correctly. I've only lost 4.5 pounds. I've read where people lose 15-20 pounds. Should I be concerned?

First of all! Congrats on the weight loss & taking the next step. My program was all Protein Shakes. There was liberties to add all sorts of things: skim milk, almond milk, coffee, oats, fruit, nuts, ect.

I used Bariatric Advantage Protein Powder, because it was very low carb. Less than 5 carbs per shake. And I decided to only mix with Water. Everything that I could have added would have added carbs and wouldn't have helped me achieve Ketosis. And ultimately, ketosis is what they want to see in order to shrink your liver.

I lost 27lbs in my pre op diet. Now, I was a HIGH BMI, so it as to be expected that I lose more than most. That's another factor, its hard to compare your loss with others because everyone has a different BMI, and body makeup.

Thanks for the information. I will continue to stay on course for the next few days and look forward to my new journey.:D

I keep reading this for pre op I thought the liquid diet was post op? We do liver shrinking diet pre op. I am so confused

I keep reading this for pre op I thought the liquid diet was post op? We do liver shrinking diet pre op. I am so confused

Its both pre and post op.

Okay our surgeon dose not do it prior thank goodness we just do liver shrinking diet I don’t know if I could do 4 weeks of liquids

All of us have a different pre op per our surgeon and BMI. Though they may be different, the are all intended to shrink the liver. Mine is simply high Protein low carbs. Just surgeon preference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

This is my pre op liquid diet: Premiere Protein Shakes, sugar free jello/pudding, Soup and lots of Water. Surgery is Wednesday.

I’m on a 2 week Liquid Protein diet right now and my surgery is on April 25th... I haven’t lost what I wanted to either. I only can really have coffee, Protein shakes, water, chicken broth, and sugar free popsicles. It’s been a real struggle.

I’m on a 2 week Liquid Protein diet right now and my surgery is on April 25th... I haven’t lost what I wanted to either. I only can really have coffee, Protein shakes, Water, chicken broth, and sugar free popsicles. It’s been a real struggle.

We're almost there. Today was the first time I struggled. I decided to grab a bottle of water and took a nice walk. I felt better afterwards. Good luck on Wednesday