Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Triglycerides- Advice Needed!

10 hours ago, domi said:

Are you doing tuna packed in oil? Tuna packed in Water is lower in fat.

I do the foil packets. I'm not sure.

15 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Rapid weight loss can cause transient high triglycerides. (Fats (triglycerides) are made with fatty acids on a glycerine backbone.) Because of our diet, we're liberating fat very quickly. It happens in a low carb/keto diet but also in a VLCD (very low calorie diet). It's not unusual for people to have elevated tris for 3-6 months while doing serious reduction.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd ask to be retested in 6 months. Ash do you know if your family has a genetic predisposition to high tris?

I would also go pretty low carb if you aren't already. (Sorry can't remember.)

If you happen to know where I can print off some research on this to take to my PCP on Friday. I'd be greatly appreciative. I didn't find much when I googled.

34 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

If you happen to know where I can print off some research on this to take to my PCP on Friday. I'd be greatly appreciative. I didn't find much when I googled.

Dr. Stephen Phinney is a very well respected doctor dealing with sports medicine, obesity, and fat metabolism research.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjboeDBvMHaAhWr5oMKHUu1ByYQFgh7MAc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpubmed%2F2035468&usg=AOvVaw37sFAG0U0ffNbCu_BYXz-v

You can buy books on cholesterol that give you the true story:

Uffe Ravnskov - Cholesterol Myth

Jimmy Moore & Dr. Eric Westman - Cholesterol Clarity

Dr. Atkins wrote about this phenomenon. He did say that there is a small population that will have very high tris and it's a genetic issue that needs different treatment.

Google: rapid weight loss and transient elevated triglycerides for more research.

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

Dr. Stephen Phinney is a very well respected doctor dealing with sports medicine, obesity, and fat metabolism research.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjboeDBvMHaAhWr5oMKHUu1ByYQFgh7MAc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpubmed%2F2035468&usg=AOvVaw37sFAG0U0ffNbCu_BYXz-v

You can buy books on cholesterol that give you the true story:

Uffe Ravnskov - Cholesterol Myth

Jimmy Moore & Dr. Eric Westman - Cholesterol Clarity

Dr. Atkins wrote about this phenomenon. He did say that there is a small population that will have very high tris and it's a genetic issue that needs different treatment.

Google: rapid weight loss and transient elevated triglycerides for more research.

Thanks lady! This is great!

@FluffyChix

I found this article that says medication may not even be effective if the rise in cholesterol is due to fatty tissue stores. I'm going to def weigh my options before going back on the statin.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/500114-can-losing-weight-raise-your-cholesterol-temporarily/

This is why I'm glad that I have this forum! I would have never known this was a thing.

Ash Ash I'm pretty sure the foil packets are packed in Water, at least zStarKist is, I'm not sure about Bumblebee. FYI as a kid I was in love with Charlie the StarKist Tuna! Never went anywhere with it, the relationship was just too fishy!😝🐬

3 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

@FluffyChix

I found this article that says medication may not even be effective if the rise in cholesterol is due to fatty tissue stores. I'm going to def weigh my options before going back on the statin.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/500114-can-losing-weight-raise-your-cholesterol-temporarily/

This is why I'm glad that I have this forum! I would have never known this was a thing.

Yes, there is a great deal of question whether statins have any effect on ANYONE--but especially on women. The studies tend to point that statins have not reduced all cause mortality. If memory serves, but don't trust Chemobrain.

It used to say that men with ACTIVE heart disease and who have had a cardiac event benefit from statins.

But in my belief, changing your diet and exercise (resistance training rather than, or in addition to cardio) will make REAL improvement in your cholesterol--rather than the improvement shown on paper with statin use. It has to do with the VLD particles and what type they actually are and what statins reduce. (VLD=very low density lipoproteins).

@Creekimp13 & @FluffyChix

I wanted to give you guys an update, since you both offered so much insight into my high cholesterol.

I talked to the doctor, and low & behold... She agreed with Fluffy's theory about rapid weight loss causing temporary increase in cholesterol. She said she is comfortable retesting in 3 months and that if everything is staying the same, or improving (ideally) then I can avoid medications. She said that while, 343 is high, damage isn't done until the number gets into the 7-800 range.

I've done a lot of things recently to naturally help. I've added fish oil tablets w/Omega 3's, I've added wild salmon 2x per week, 1 serving of Almonds per day, and lastly working on increasing my soy Protein.

Thanks ladies for all the info!

AshAsh1,

next visit, as your Dr about the fish oil. I started taking it, but my PCP told me new research has shown that fish oil hasn't really shown to help. i dont have any citations for you, but she was on board with the ground flax (my good cholesterol backs this one up) and said I'd be better off giving the fish oil to my dog. totally contrary to what I thought!

GassyGurl

2 minutes ago, GassyGurl said:

AshAsh1,

next visit, as your Dr about the fish oil. I started taking it, but my PCP told me new research has shown that fish oil hasn't really shown to help. i dont have any citations for you, but she was on board with the ground flax (my good cholesterol backs this one up) and said I'd be better off giving the fish oil to my dog. totally contrary to what I thought!

GassyGurl

Very interesting. I've been meaning to read about the flax. I figure, I'll take it until my next blood draw, 3 months out. If there isn't any improvement... then I'll kick the fish oil to the curb. Those tablets are scary to swallow anyway!

12 minutes ago, GassyGurl said:

AshAsh1,

GassyGurl

How do you take ground flax? What do you mix it with, ect?

I see you can take tablets, like fish oil... are those not as affective?

Edited by AshAsh1

I am not sure about the tablets. I mix the ground flax in oatmeal, or yogurt. i'm looking for other ideas too.

I just learned too that if you can ground your own, even better. the store bought ground version degrades after a while, according to our nutritionist. i'm not sure what timeframe, but my next go around might be whole flax that I put through my coffee grinder. maybe do a weeks batch at a time.

but I like your idea of trying for 3 months, then waiting for blood work. this is hard enough as it is. I certainly dont need to grind my own if store bought helps sufficiently.

1 minute ago, GassyGurl said:

I am not sure about the tablets. I mix the ground flax in oatmeal, or yogurt. i'm looking for other ideas too.

I just learned too that if you can ground your own, even better. the store bought ground version degrades after a while, according to our nutritionist. i'm not sure what timeframe, but my next go around might be whole flax that I put through my coffee grinder. maybe do a weeks batch at a time.

but I like your idea of trying for 3 months, then waiting for blood work. this is hard enough as it is. I certainly dont need to grind my own if store bought helps sufficiently.

I just read this on a google search.

A few quick serving ideas:

• Sprinkle ground flax seeds on hot or cold Cereal, or natural yogurt.
  • Add them to Breakfast shakes or smoothies.
  • Sprinkle them onto cooked vegetables, or add them to a salad.
  • Use ground flax seeds as a substitute for eggs in baked recipes. (Note: 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds, plus 3 tablespoons Water, is equal to 1 egg. 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds can be substituted for 1 tablespoon butter, shortening, or vegetable oil.)
  • Flax seed oil can be used as the base of homemade salad dressings.

The article also gives some insight into grinding your own, if your interested: https://www.healthcentral.com/article/how-flax-seed-can-improve-your-cholesterol-levels

On 4/16/2018 at 4:31 PM, AshAsh1 said:

Prior to surgery I was on a statin and my PCP removed me from the medication before my surgery after monitoring my levels for over a year. They thought that they were high due to a episode of Diabetic Ketoacidosis. It made sense at the time because the first time I had high results was during my DKA attack. I just had my Vitamin levels checked and everything came back good except for my lipid panel. I haven't been on a statin since surgery and now my Triglycerides are 343. NO BUENO!

I'm very disappointed to have to go back on daily medication. I've been off everything since surgery. Has anyone had experience with their cholesterol, NOT improving after surgery? Or perhaps, taking longer to improve? Any advice is wanted!

I'm pretty concerned because I'm looking to start a family in the next year, and you can't take statins while pregnant . Also, I'm at an increased risk of using fertility medication, which increases your cholesterol and pregnancy does as well. The pregnancy issue is still away off, but I'm nervous for obvious reasons.

Hey Ash Ash! It's important to remember that gaining health is sometimes one step forward, two steps back. It's been tough post-op for me too. My sleep has gotten so bad now that I am back on Seroquel, nominally used for sleep. I didn't count on that being added back into the regimen and it saddened me quite a bit but sleep is so important. Perhaps, this is only temporary and your body is still reacting and adjusting to the new you. Try not to take it so hard. Remember, things could be so much worse.

Hey Ash Ash! It's important to remember that gaining health is sometimes one step forward, two steps back. It's been tough post-op for me too. My sleep has gotten so bad now that I am back on Seroquel, nominally used for sleep. I didn't count on that being added back into the regimen and it saddened me quite a bit but sleep is so important. Perhaps, this is only temporary and your body is still reacting and adjusting to the new you. Try not to take it so hard. Remember, things could be so much worse.

Thanks Matty! You are right, the benefits out weight the drawbacks 1000%.