Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post RNY - Dress size question

Hi new friends !

I’m one week and one day post RNY and have to order a bridesmaids dress for a wedding I’m in end of September. I need to order the dress now and have no idea what size to get so hoping to get thoughts from people post op how quickly they shed size?

My stats - I’m just under 5’10” and pre surgery wore around a 22/24.

My start weight before the preop diet was 335, 319 or so at surgery and per the scale just now, 304. (Anxious for those 4 in the 3’s needless to say!)

Does anyone have any recommendations of what sizes I should order? I can tailor something to make it smaller but am terrified of not fitting into the dress!! How mortifying !

Well bridesmaid dresses generally run smaller than retail sizes at any rate, and what style is it? Boned, fitted bodice w chiffon skirt? Fitted empire, a-line, strapless fit n flare? A lot depends on that factor. Also a lot of beading or lace, etc.

Better to get bigger than smaller - a 16 maybe. Post a picture of the dress, might help. Can you order an extra yard of matching fabrc?

Well bridesmaid dresses generally run smaller than retail sizes at any rate, and what style is it? Boned, fitted bodice w chiffon skirt? Fitted empire, a-line, strapless fit n flare? A lot depends on that factor. Also a lot of beading or lace, etc.
Better to get bigger than smaller - a 16 maybe. Post a picture of the dress, might help. Can you order an extra yard of matching fabrc?

IMG_7858.JPG

Here is the dress (hoping the picture comes through!) - pretty loose fitting, A line, no boneing and made of chiffon.

My guess now remember this isn't a certainty.. A 16-18, based on the fact you're a 22'-24 currently. You might even be smaller than that, it is easier to make dresses smaller than to add material in. I was a 4Her and had to make a few outfits to exhibit in our county fair, one even made it to state.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

That dress is perfect for altering - easy peasy. Ask the store how close it runs to retail sizes - if it runs small or what. I say 16-18 and then you will be safe. It needs a rhinestone belt though to sparkle it up (Amazon) - suggest that to the girls and bride. You will dazzle it, girl! Good luck!

41ic5wP5BwL._SY400_.jpg

Edited by Sosewsue61

18 hours ago, nycgirl18 said:

Hi new friends !

I’m one week and one day post RNY and have to order a bridesmaids dress for a wedding I’m in end of September. I need to order the dress now and have no idea what size to get so hoping to get thoughts from people post op how quickly they shed size?

My stats - I’m just under 5’10” and pre surgery wore around a 22/24.

My start weight before the preop diet was 335, 319 or so at surgery and per the scale just now, 304. (Anxious for those 4 in the 3’s needless to say!)

Does anyone have any recommendations of what sizes I should order? I can tailor something to make it smaller but am terrified of not fitting into the dress!! How mortifying !

I wish I could offer some better advice, but it's really hard to say. I'd say to go larger and have it altered if needed. I'm down 75lbs and I've barely moved 2 pants sizes. My belly is holding on for dear life! While my breasts, arms, and legs are reaping the rewards of surgery. Where do you carry your weight, because like me most people loose in their extremities first. So if you have a larger stomach or butt it may take awhile for those areas to show huge improvement. Thank God for Spanx!

Haha yes thank god for spanks!! I have a larger tummy and big boobs but a pretty small high waist? Right under my boobs I guess. I ordered a 16 and some extra fabric in case... hopefully that’s going to work ahhh!!!

That dress is perfect for altering - easy peasy. Ask the store how close it runs to retail sizes - if it runs small or what. I say 16-18 and then you will be safe. It needs a rhinestone belt though to sparkle it up (Amazon) - suggest that to the girls and bride. You will dazzle it, girl! Good luck!
41ic5wP5BwL._SY400_.jpg.f59cc0f95c80cdfeee95580a915a1f48.jpg

So cute!!! Will definitely suggest. I got a 16 as the 18 was no longer available ... hope it works!!

@nycgirl18 wishing for you The loss of 5 lb so you can be in Twoferville, at 323 I yearn for it myself. You are about the height I used to be before menopause condensed my spine down to 5ft8in, don't miss Aunt Flo, like most of my live relatives she showed up at the most inconvenient times, but I hate the idea of getting shorter. Only benefit I see is the shorter you are the higher your BMI is, maybe,the surgeon will take pity on a poor old obese ME? I'm willing to appear needy,if it gets me my RnY sooner. Good luck with your wedding plans![emoji13]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

49 minutes ago, nycgirl18 said:

Haha yes thank god for spanks!! I have a larger tummy and big boobs but a pretty small high waist? Right under my boobs I guess. I ordered a 16 and some extra fabric in case... hopefully that’s going to work ahhh!!!

that's awesome that you can order extra fabric! I didn't even know that was a thing!