Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting the process??

27 minutes ago, MissBri4 said:

Hey I’m just starting out too. I went to a Seminar 4/14 and waiting for them to call me with a appointment date for my Initial consultation

I was lucky I had the option of doing the seminar on the web or in person. I chose web only because I have two small kids. I just had my initial consultation on Monday, 4/16 and it went really well. I had my psych evaluation on that day, which I was a little surprised at, but glad I can check that off of the list.

I want a sleeve, but I have a history of GERD since I became very overweight. I have an endoscopy scheduled for Tuesday to see how everything looks before the surgeon can recommend sleeve or RNY. I also have an order for a sleep study that I’m trying to get scheduled.

Good luck to you! Hoping that these next 6 months FLY by.

I was lucky I had the option of doing the seminar on the web or in person. I chose web only because I have two small kids. I just had my initial consultation on Monday, 4/16 and it went really well. I had my psych evaluation on that day, which I was a little surprised at, but glad I can check that off of the list.
I want a sleeve, but I have a history of GERD since I became very overweight. I have an endoscopy scheduled for Tuesday to see how everything looks before the surgeon can recommend sleeve or RNY. I also have an order for a sleep study that I’m trying to get scheduled.

Super Lucky! My Insurance only allows Bariatric Surgery through 1 Program and it’s a hour drive from my house. I have to wait 2-3 weeks just to get a appointment for the Initial consultation

Your process sounds a lot like mine. I did an online seminar and had my initial consult this past Tuesday. I have my nutritional consult Monday, and if I'm making progress in a month my surgeon will schedule my egd. I also have GERD. I don't need a sleep study though because I already have sleep apnea. And sadly it's bad enough that losing weight probably won't completely get rid of it. I've probably had it since I was a kid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey all! I'm new to this too! I went to my information seminar yesterday and got loads of good information on insurance and what's required for surgery. My initial consult is on 4/30! Can't wait :)

So I had my first appointment today! My insurance requires me to do a 6 month supervised diet and I’m ok with that! I got a projected surgery date today but I won’t post that until I get a little closer. I feel much better after today’s appointment! I’m super excited

I had my first consult on 4/11. I have my 1st appointment with the nutritionist on 4/24. I have a long ways to go the insurance requires a 6 months process to make sure one is ready physically and mentally to get the surgery. I'm excited nervous, Don't know whether or not to go through but I know it's for my own good and to add years to my life. I wish everyone who is starting the best as this is a life changing journey we are about to go through.

Anyone just starting this journey?? I would love to keep up with anyone who is new to the process so that I can know what to expect although I know each case is different. Anyone had their first consultation recently?? Or at the beginning stages of the process?? What’s been the experience thus far?

Hi, my name is Kimberly, I live in Michigan and would love to have someone who is at or close to where I am in the new life journey .

I went to my seminar 2/16/18 , meet my doctor on 3/7 and started my life change on 3/8. I am required by my insurance to have 6 months of supervised diet, endoscopy , ekg, x-rays, mental health evaluation , and blood work 2 times. So they do not count the first 2 hr appointment in the 6 months. So April 25 will be my first month.

I decided to jump right in with both feet. I started the diet on 3/8 . I am an insulin dependent diabetic so a lot of the changes I made were not hard for me. What I am having a couple of different issues. 1) I have never been a Breakfast person and because I have to eat 6 times a day I am up at 7 trying to eat by 730. I am still struggling with that at 7 weeks in. I do drink a Protein Drink at least once a day. 2) I LOVE coffee I have been switching to Decaf a couple times a day. I have decided that I will be off of it by my 5th month in.

I will share with you what a friend told me that is 18 months post surgery. Start looking for an approved Protein Shake now . She gave me a few that she likes. I have a tree nut and peanut allergy so I am very limited to which ones I can use. But I have found 3 that have a great taste that I enjoy. The companies are. Unjury ( buy online) , Quest, WonderSlim . Because of my allergy my doctor had to approve other brands that they don’t always use.

I have always tried to exercise a couple times a week. But now I do it 6 days a week. I swim at the YMCA 5 times a week and then work out on the bikes for my 6th day. I have a 1 yr old golden retriever that I also walk almost daily now . So I get a bonus exercise that I am enjoying so much more now that I am losing weight. I won’t lie the first 2 weeks of daily exercise SUCKED A BIG LEMON, but now I look forward to my daily swims and walks.

I hope to keep in touch. If I can do this anyone can.

Welcome @kimberlymi, it's me , I'm one of those evil,Buckeyes, I live in Central Ohio, 48 miles NE of Columbus in Mount Vernon Ohio. Where in Michigan are you located? Just being nosy, I'll even love you even if you're floating down the Huron River in a canoe. Mucho Michiganders on here. Tuckersmom just had surgery in Flint, but the Barifriend I would recommend you follow and who has been super nice and informative is CreekImp. If she chats with you you'll learn so,much about weigh loss etc. Very smart, you can't go wrong,with her friendship. There are over a dozen and I'm sure if they see the "mi" in your pen name they will make themselves known . If you have any questions, please ask. If I don't have an answer someone on Bariatric Pal will, okay? At any rate you are very welcome to join us, we hope you'll like us and want,to stay awhile😜

I’m just starting as well! First step for me is a 12 week Healthy Weight Management class which starts on 5/7 through Kaiser.

Welcome. It sounds like we are very close to the same starting point. Do you have to do a 6 month supervised weight loss program for your insurance and doctor before they will do surgery?

Like I said in my first post I am so ready for this new life I have started on. I would like to keep in touch . We can support each other in the journey.

Welcome. It sounds like we are very close to the same starting point. Do you have to do a 6 month supervised weight loss program for your insurance and doctor before they will do surgery?

Like I said in my first post I am so ready for this new life I have started on. I would like to keep in touch . We can support each other in the journey.

Thanks!

I don’t need to do the 6 month supervised weight loss program because I have a history of doing watchers, which counted. They didn’t seem to verify that but I have been on and off with them a few times, totally well over 6 months.

During the 12 week class I start on 5/7 I will have to do a food journal. They are looking for loss for sure but I don’t think there is a required amount for surgery. I’m hoping to really focus on once the journaling starts to lose some weight before surgery anyway.

I would love to stay in touch! It looks like you hit the ground running which is really inspiring to me! [emoji16] it sounds like we’re both SO ready for this! I could use an accountability buddy!

Maybe my surgery date will be in October too! This class finishes in August and I’ll have several appointments before surgery which will probably take a few months. Do you have much to do after the 6month program?

Thanks!

I don’t need to do the 6 month supervised weight loss program because I have a history of doing watchers, which counted. They didn’t seem to verify that but I have been on and off with them a few times, totally well over 6 months.

During the 12 week class I start on 5/7 I will have to do a food journal. They are looking for loss for sure but I don’t think there is a required amount for surgery. I’m hoping to really focus on once the journaling starts to lose some weight before surgery anyway.

I would love to stay in touch! It looks like you hit the ground running which is really inspiring to me! [emoji16] it sounds like we’re both SO ready for this! I could use an accountability buddy!

Maybe my surgery date will be in October too! This class finishes in August and I’ll have several appointments before surgery which will probably take a few months. Do you have much to do after the 6month program?

After my 6 months all I have to do is get a surgery date. Starting in my
4th month the WLC will get the letter from my PHP and I will have my endoscopy procedure that month or just in my 5th month and my mental evaluation will be durning my 4th month also. I will see my cardo doc in month 5 . A week before surgery I have my second round of blood work and X-rays. Just before my 6th month ends they get my insurance stuff together and it gets sent out the day after my 6 month appointment.

I had to start my food journal after my consultation appointment so they can see how I am eating and help me change what needs to be changed and guide me along the way. Do you go to class monthly or what? I go every month for a 2 hour meeting with a group of patients that started at or around my same time for 1 1/2 hours and then the NUT for the rest if the time to review my journal and talk about any issues. My first meeting in group is 4/25 this Wednesday. I will let you know how is goes.

Are you using Protein power yet and if so what do you use?

I would like to be a accountability buddy, that would help me so much also. If you haven’t gone through this or are not going through it people just don’t understand. I am thankful I have found this group and you.

Have a great night.

I have completed the seminar and initial consultation. I will be doing the nutritional workshops in 2 weeks. Then the end of May I will do my pre-surgical psych eval and 1st week of June I have the consultation with the surgeon. My surgery date will be set in 2 weeks by the end of the workshop. Happening pretty fast!

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app