Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting the process??

Anyone just starting this journey?? I would love to keep up with anyone who is new to the process so that I can know what to expect although I know each case is different. Anyone had their first consultation recently?? Or at the beginning stages of the process?? What’s been the experience thus far?

I am about 2/3 through at this point. I had my seminar in late January, then had my consult with the surgeon at the end of February and with my advocate the day after that where I learned my requirements. I have to have a 3 month medically supervised diet, blood work, psych eval, upper endoscopy, sleep study, EKG, chest xray, one meeting with a nutritionist. So far I have completed two of my 3 months of visits, my blood work was done with my pcp back in December, my psych eval, my upper endoscopy and my meeting with the nutritionist. So all I have left is one more visit with my primary care, sleep study, EKG and chest xray then I can be submitted for approval. So I'm shooting for a late May or early June surgery date. It feels like it drags at times but I feel like these three months are giving me plenty of practice to change my habits to prepare.

Anyone just starting this journey?? I would love to keep up with anyone who is new to the process so that I can know what to expect although I know each case is different. Anyone had their first consultation recently?? Or at the beginning stages of the process?? What’s been the experience thus far?

Waiting at the office now for my first consultation. [emoji3]

It looks like I don’t have a ton of hoops to jump through since my blood work and blood pressure and everything is normal.

I am about 2/3 through at this point. I had my seminar in late January, then had my consult with the surgeon at the end of February and with my advocate the day after that where I learned my requirements. I have to have a 3 month medically supervised diet, blood work, psych eval, upper endoscopy, sleep study, EKG, chest xray, one meeting with a nutritionist. So far I have completed two of my 3 months of visits, my blood work was done with my pcp back in December, my psych eval, my upper endoscopy and my meeting with the nutritionist. So all I have left is one more visit with my primary care, sleep study, EKG and chest xray then I can be submitted for approval. So I'm shooting for a late May or early June surgery date. It feels like it drags at times but I feel like these three months are giving me plenty of practice to change my habits to prepare.

Totally understandable and for me it would give me time to get my mind right lol

Waiting at the office now for my first consultation. [emoji3]

It looks like I don’t have a ton of hoops to jump through since my blood work and blood pressure and everything is normal.

Awesome!!! What all did you have to do?

I have my first consultation with the surgeon and his team this coming Monday, 4/16. I’m nervous and excited at the same time! I just had a new picture taken for my driver license today and I always dread them because they always add like 10lbs to my face. I seriously look like an angry prison guard ☹️. I already know from speaking to my insurance that they do require a 6 month supervised diet, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a surgery before end of the year. I luckily just saw my PCP a couple weeks ago so I have blood work completed, good blood pressure, normal thyroid, slightly elevated A1C (prediabetes)

I’d love to have a friend for support and info along the way. Shoot me a message if you ever want to chat.

Awesome!!! What all did you have to do?

Chest XRay
Seminar (counts as one nutritionist appt)
Nutritionist visit
Pulmonary doctor
Blood work
Ultrasound of upper gi (he does this himself at next visit)
Psychiatrist

He said about 10-12 weeks as long as I don’t take too long to book appointments

My first seminar is in a couple weeks. I can't wait to get this show on the road.

I have my first consultation with the surgeon and his team this coming Monday, 4/16. I’m nervous and excited at the same time! I just had a new picture taken for my driver license today and I always dread them because they always add like 10lbs to my face. I seriously look like an angry prison guard ☹️. I already know from speaking to my insurance that they do require a 6 month supervised diet, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a surgery before end of the year. I luckily just saw my PCP a couple weeks ago so I have blood work completed, good blood pressure, normal thyroid, slightly elevated A1C (prediabetes)
I’d love to have a friend for support and info along the way. Shoot me a message if you ever want to chat.

Please let me know how your initial consultation goes. My drivers license picture doesn’t even look like me anymore. I lost a lot of weight but my face was sooooooooooooo big so I can’t imagine what it will look like once I drop more weight

Please let me know how your initial consultation goes. My drivers license picture doesn’t even look like me anymore. I lost a lot of weight but my face was sooooooooooooo big so I can’t imagine what it will look like once I drop more weight

That's exactly me. All tests good except the prediabetes! I did the seminar in November but didn't see the surgeon until the beginning of March. Oxford has me on 7 monthly visits with the nutritionist. I have my 1st visit on the 23rd. I'm also hoping for the end of the year surgery. Let's start 2019 off feeling better!

So excited for everyone here!

Does anyone know if you must use a psychiatrist they refer you to, or can you use a psychiatrist you already go to? I see a psych about 4x a year for anxiety related issues and it would be one less additional appointment to go to if my doctor could sign off on the psychiatric portion at our next appointment.

So excited for everyone here!
Does anyone know if you must use a psychiatrist they refer you to, or can you use a psychiatrist you already go to? I see a psych about 4x a year for anxiety related issues and it would be one less additional appointment to go to if my doctor could sign off on the psychiatric portion at our next appointment.

That’s a great question!! I have an appointment with a psychiatrist the Monday before my appointment so I’ll have to ask that question

I went to a seminar are 3/9/2018 then the next 2 weeks went to a 5.5 hr class where i met with nutritionist, talked to them about which surgery might be best for me, watched a film and answered about 600 questions about myself on paper. lol This week I was suppose to go for a stress test and see a nutritionist again but I had a sinus infection with bronchitis and had to cancel. Next week I go for blood work, psych eval, EKG, and endoscopy all in the same day. I'm not sure what comes next. lol I to have 6 months of nutritionist visits but my insurance allows us to go back 2 years as long as they are consecutive months so I am hoping I won't have too much longer to wait. Things are flying by.

I am trying to cut the caffeine and that is not easy for me and also stay on a less carb diet per my dietitian. She wants us to eat around 30 grams daily and also started us on a daily Vitamin which i take anyhow.

It's all been very exciting and I am ready to get things going!!