Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Stuck in a rut!

42 minutes ago, boatnam1 said:

Personally i don't think hitting the gym 7 days a week is the best thing when your running on 600 calories or so in the beginning, sure a light workout is fine but going crazy may slow things. For me i could stall myself out doing a steady hard gym regiment so i stopped doing it in the beginning . I stepped up my walking game, doing less couch time and even started doing pushups every morning, well push up as in "1", i can do 30 now easily even 3 or 4 sets do a few crunches and a few quick curls and my workout is done for the day along with 10,000 steps or so. I still hit the gym some but its always at the end of the day were it is easy to say your tired and not go, so at least i know i did something first thing in morning. I lost hair also seems to be slowing now according to my shower drain. Biggest thing that killed my loss is grazing, went all of march and didn't lose anything, stopped grazing and most carbs( slider foods) and seem to be dropping again. Funny i can only eat 5-6 bites of a Protein and be stuffed, but i can eat a whole sleeve of crackers easily like i never had surgery and still want to eat.

There is nothing wrong with working out with some intensity as long as your body can take it. The idea that working out is going to slow down your weight loss is rubbish (especially if we are talking about cardio). At the end of the day weight loss (with a few exceptions) is about operating at a calorie deficit (I've heard it described as eat less run more). Yes there is a point that can be overdoing it and you will see people here talk about "suvival mode," but don't worry most of us have the vestigial reserves to get us through even on a reduced calorie diet.

5 hours ago, aNYCdb said:

There is nothing wrong with working out with some intensity as long as your body can take it. The idea that working out is going to slow down your weight loss is rubbish (especially if we are talking about cardio). At the end of the day weight loss (with a few exceptions) is about operating at a calorie deficit (I've heard it described as eat less run more). Yes there is a point that can be overdoing it and you will see people here talk about "suvival mode," but don't worry most of us have the vestigial reserves to get us through even on a reduced calorie diet.

I guess....Maybe i was just eating too much.

For what it's worth, I've exercised very little . . . I'm old and I have rubbish knees. I know I should do more . . . I've been staying with a friend and climbing the stairs a couple times a day--that's a lot for me. I hope to do some walking when it isn't snowing or 20 degrees out every freaking day! Spring, where art thou??

Someday, I may even be living somewhere I can swim on a regular basis. A girl can dream.

I guess my point is that you can lose weight even without a lot of exercise--and I'm not at all saying that's a better way. Definitely better to exercise. But also, stalls happen. Sometimes changing your habits can break them, sometimes not--but they will break, eventually, if you are following the plan. Hang on in there--this is definitely a marathon, not a sprint--metaphorically, anyway.

Some of us lose hair no matter how much Protein we intake. It’s a process called telogen effluvium—

http://drnichter.com/hair-loss-after-surgery-explained/

Like you I couldn’t possibly get in all my protein requirements without supplementation till well after a year post op, my restriction was too high.

Try switching your shake! If it’s whey isolate move to one with caesin or whey concentrate or a combination. Or try plant based protein. Just stay away from collagen or GENEPRO.

I know the process of the hair lol just wish it didn’t happen!!! More stressed out about it than I am anything else and I have one of the most stressful jobs in the world! I just get so full so easy.. took 3 bites of chicken at dinner tonight and am still full and that was 4 hours ago. I currently drink Premier Protein shakes. I will look into other ones to alternate and switch it up. Thank you for understanding where I’m at... glad to know others still supplemented when they were 4 months post-op!

On 4/11/2018 at 11:16 AM, AshAsh1 said:

@TootsR Matty is right. I wouldn't over do it at this point. If you want to walk around the block a few times or even walk slowly on the treadmill. I wouldn't do anything too extreme until your stomach is healed and you get the OK from the doctor.

Thank you guys

I'm sorry to see Lex 2287 that you are,losing your hair, I know you've been very worried about that happening, maybe it won't last too long. Stay healthy in the meantime.

2 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

I'm sorry to see Lex 2287 that you are,losing your hair, I know you've been very worried about that happening, maybe it won't last too long. Stay healthy in the meantime.

Thank you... it just keeps getting worse.. Protein is up, take my Multivitamins and Biotin and drink my fluids... hopefully it stops soon or I will be bald :(

I lost alot of hair around 3 months out and on, it has just now started to slow down and getting its thickness back at almost 9 months post-op. It comes back i promise, my hair is curly and shoulder length. I would flip my hair upside down spray and gel underneath and that would with making it more fuller looking.