Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Stuck in a rut!

It has been a very long month for me! I have only seen a 1 lb loss in the last month.. my hair is falling out and I am taking in between 80-100+grams of Protein each day.. my caloric intake is around 800 and I am exercising 5-6 days a week, plus exceeding my 64oz of Water intake daily.. something has got to give soon... my reflux is finally starting to get under control, but that is the only positive thing!!! What am I doing wrong??! Called my surgeon and they told me I am right on track... frustrated.. I measured myself today and I have only lost 22inches total since my surgery 4.5 months ago.. anyone have any advice or go thru the same thing as I am experiencing right now?

Surgery date: 11/29/17

SW: 324

CW: 261

GW: happy & healthy (ideally 175-185)

If I was in your position at this stage I would try mixing up my diet for a bit. A high Protein diet is great, but sometime soon you have to mix it up a bit. Right now half of your calories are coming from protein. It’s not clear from your post where the rest of your calories are coming from, but if you are on a low carb Keto diet, perhaps change that up for a couple of weeks (maybe target 1/3 of your calories from protein, carbs, and fats.

21 minutes ago, lex2287 said:

It has been a very long month for me! I have only seen a 1 lb loss in the last month.. my hair is falling out and I am taking in between 80-100+grams of Protein each day.. my caloric intake is around 800 and I am exercising 5-6 days a week, plus exceeding my 64oz of Water intake daily.. something has got to give soon... my reflux is finally starting to get under control, but that is the only positive thing!!! What am I doing wrong??! Called my surgeon and they told me I am right on track... frustrated.. I measured myself today and I have only lost 22inches total since my surgery 4.5 months ago.. anyone have any advice or go thru the same thing as I am experiencing right now?

I had a major stall my third month. read embrace the stall below.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/351046-embrace-the-stall/#comment-3952027

<----Had the three month stall...survived:) Hang in there. This, too, shall pass!

You’ve lost a ton of weight in a short amount of time. Just do what everyone is saying, keep on your program and the loss will follow when your body is ready for it.

If I was in your position at this stage I would try mixing up my diet for a bit. A high Protein diet is great, but sometime soon you have to mix it up a bit. Right now half of your calories are coming from protein. It’s not clear from your post where the rest of your calories are coming from, but if you are on a low carb Keto diet, perhaps change that up for a couple of weeks (maybe target 1/3 of your calories from protein, carbs, and fats.

I have a Protein Shake and about 5 blueberries or raspberries for Breakfast, lunch I have turkey or chicken and a string cheese, dinner I have cottage cheese, another lean protein and have another protein shake after I workout.. I am going to look at changing something here because this isn’t working!!!

You’ve lost a ton of weight in a short amount of time. Just do what everyone is saying, keep on your program and the loss will follow when your body is ready for it.

Thanks.. this is the 3rd time I have stalled.. my surgeon and nutritionist said to keep what I’m doing but I’m just frustrated!!

4 hours ago, lex2287 said:

I have a Protein Shake and about 5 blueberries or raspberries for Breakfast, lunch I have turkey or chicken and a string cheese, dinner I have cottage cheese, another lean Protein and have another protein shake after I workout.. I am going to look at changing something here because this isn’t working!!!

So I totally agree about the 3 month stall. But at your stage, why are you still using so many Protein Drinks? I know we're all different, but I actually lose better with real food and fewer protein drinks because whey isolate is pretty insulinogenic. Why not see what happens if you cut the protein drinks to 1 per day and eat real protein and veg the rest of the time?

12 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

So I totally agree about the 3 month stall. But at your stage, why are you still using so many Protein Drinks? I know we're all different, but I actually lose better with real food and fewer Protein drinks because whey isolate is pretty insulinogenic. Why not see what happens if you cut the protein drinks to 1 per day and eat real protein and veg the rest of the time?

Totally agree with fluffyChix, try cutting Protein Shakes down to one a day. Eat real food, it should help. Im 8 months out and only drink a Protein Shake maybe once a week, went thru a 3 week stall as well. We all will go thru one sooner or later, just hang in there and dont get caught up on weighing yourself alot.

HW:277 SW:244 CW: 176 GW:145

11 hours ago, lex2287 said:

See if you can talk to the registered dietitian from your program about where you're at. Show him or her your data and they can make recommendations. Your RD might even suggest it is time to eat more calories. Don't you wish weight loss is as simple as calories in being less than calories out?

CICO theory sucks big green ones. :) I so agree with Matt! The human body is NOT a vacuum. It's a semi-open system. And a theory like Calories In=Calories Out only works on the most basic level in a vacuum.

18 hours ago, lex2287 said:

lex, first off you are not "doing anything wrong". Its a 12 to 18 month process and it will not go all downhill all the time.

some things to think about.

are you weight lifting in that 5-6 days exercise. if you are make sure to do it only every other day. The benefit from lifting weights comes during the day of recovery so give your muscles a day to rebuild before you tear into them again. walk or do other non lifting things on the other days.

if your not lifting at all try to add it in. It was awkward cause i literally has to start at 30 pounds on the fly machine but i choked down my ego and embarrassment and now i am up to 110 pounds.

try to add new things to throw your body a workout curve. dont get into a rut cause your body is very adaptive and will get less benefit from the same action if repeated long enough.

good luck and stay positive

So I totally agree about the 3 month stall. But at your stage, why are you still using so many Protein drinks? I know we're all different, but I actually lose better with real food and fewer protein drinks because whey isolate is pretty insulinogenic. Why not see what happens if you cut the protein drinks to 1 per day and eat real protein and veg the rest of the time?

I am drinking 2 a day to get my protein up and because I lift weights and do cardio. I try to get it by food but I physically can not eat a lot of food without getting to the point of vomiting.. the only vegetables I can eat without getting sick are green Beans. Plus my hair is falling out and my surgeon told me to add another shake to help get my protein over 100g a day

lex, first off you are not "doing anything wrong". Its a 12 to 18 month process and it will not go all downhill all the time.
some things to think about.
are you weight lifting in that 5-6 days exercise. if you are make sure to do it only every other day. The benefit from lifting weights comes during the day of recovery so give your muscles a day to rebuild before you tear into them again. walk or do other non lifting things on the other days.
if your not lifting at all try to add it in. It was awkward cause i literally has to start at 30 pounds on the fly machine but i choked down my ego and embarrassment and now i am up to 110 pounds.
try to add new things to throw your body a workout curve. dont get into a rut cause your body is very adaptive and will get less benefit from the same action if repeated long enough.
good luck and stay positive

I have been doing body beast and walking.. body beast is 6 days a week.. I walk maybe 3 or 4 days of those 6.. my surgeon told me at my last appt a few weeks ago that since I am lifting weights to drink an extra Protein Shake a day before/after my workout to aid in the muscle recovery. I’m going to call the nutritionist tomorrow and send him my food and exercise logs and see what he thinks I need to be doing.