Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any MAY sleevers???

Well my doctor's office really screwed me over. Come to find out they submitted for approval "by accident" in April and it was denied because I hadn't even completed all of the steps.
Although I've spoken to insurance and they assured me they could just resubmit this week, now they've said we have to wait 40 more days.
At this point I'm just going to appeal and submit all of my documents with the appeal letter. My surgical coordinator is very negative and she's insisting that we shouldn't even try to appeal and just wait until May, to resubmit. I told her that would mean I have to do 50% of the stuff all over again. She thinks that's the better idea and says she knew it would get denied regardless.

I'm so sorry this happeningfor you. This seems extremely frustrating. Hopefully it will work out for the better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

6 minutes ago, CaliRey95 said:

She thinks that's the better idea and says she knew it would get denied regardless.

Why? Are you below BMI 40 with no comorbities?

On 4/5/2018 at 1:38 PM, luckis32 said:

Anyone doing anything special before the surgery? Training, changing eating habits, taking a trip, etc? For me, my birthday is next week so I’m going to Barbados. I’ll be back a week or so before I have to start the liquid diet.

HW: 321
CW: 278
GW: 180
Sleeve scheduled: 5/10/18

I went on a cruise last month and it was wonderful! I have just recently had my food funerals. I started my liquid diet today. Lord give me strength! It is actually easier to do it while I am teaching, because I am busy and not able to stop and munch like I can at home. See the optimism 6 hours into this! Tonight will be a different animal. Remaining positive. I have Disney World planned 5-6 weeks post-op and that will be quite a change from indulging on the dining plan as I have in years past.

56 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

Why? Are you below BMI 40 with no comorbities?

My BMI is 43 and I'm prediabetic. She just kept insisting that my insurance will most likely deny it and we'll just reschedule. I'm not sure why she is so negative with me.

16 minutes ago, CaliRey95 said:

Good luck to all you of starting your liquid diet today! You can do it!

Thanks! I think there are a few of us. You will be starting yours before you know it. Sorry that this is happening with your program, but hopefully the appeal goes through for you.

My surgeon still wants me to start the liquid diet today, he's insisting. They're saying it will most likely be approved since they're also providing every piece of documentation that was missing.

And they just sent my chart over to the hospital for pre-registration next week. We'll see how this turns out!!

12 minutes ago, CaliRey95 said:

My surgeon still wants me to start the liquid diet today, he's insisting. They're saying it will most likely be approved since they're also providing every piece of documentation that was missing.

And they just sent my chart over to the hospital for pre-registration next week. We'll see how this turns out!!

That is a great sign that things will work in your favor. What Proteins shakes/powders/premades are you using?

I find out officially April 25, but as long as I didn't gain weight as of that visit, I should be getting a May surgery date.

4 minutes ago, melmssc said:

That is a great sign that things will work in your favor. What Proteins shakes/powders/premades are you using?

4 minutes ago, melmssc said:

I got some individual Protein powders from the GNC to see what tastes best, right now I'm drinking Quest Protein Powder; I got vanilla, strawberry, and cinnamon. And at home I have weigh powder, strawberry flavored as well as some Meal Replacement drinks my nutritionist recommended, I'll check the label for the name when I get home. I'm not sure if I'm going to try the Isopure.

I see my doctor tomorrow for final visit before surgery to be done 5/3/18. Also start pre op diet tomorrow.

I have worked SO hard on getting this done for 2 1/2 years. Now that it's close, I'm a little scared. I'm 65 years old now (63 when I started the journey). If I were younger, even 50's, I doubt I'd be scared at all. It's really my age and basic condition that scares me. Plus, I know they found some problems with the upper GI test. The blood tests showed I have H pylori which they contacted me about last week and put me on several medications I have to take for 14 days. I stop taking them 5 days before surgery. I don't know how other blood tests came out. My biggest concern is that I have a rare disease (Fibromuscular Dysplasia) that has created a 50%-70% blockage in my carotid arteries and can NOT have my head leaned back for an extended period of time. I've told the anesthesia department about this and was told to be sure to tell the anesthesiologist the day of surgery. I really wish I could meet with the anesthesiologist to discuss this now. I know they intubate us for surgery and I THINK that means my head will have to be leaned far back throughout the surgery. If this is true, I can't have the surgery. The last time I saw the surgeon, he told me to speak to anesthesiology about it, it's not his department/job. I've been very pushy advocating for myself on this and am frustrated I'm not getting a clear answer. I know I need to do this but certainly don't want to have a brain injury as a result of the surgery.

12 minutes ago, CaliRey95 said:
20 minutes ago, melmssc said:

I got some individual Protein powders from the GNC to see what tastes best, right now I'm drinking Quest Protein Powder; I got vanilla, strawberry, and cinnamon. And at home I have weigh powder, strawberry flavored as well as some Meal Replacement drinks my nutritionist recommended, I'll check the label for the name when I get home. I'm not sure if I'm going to try the Isopure.

How are you liking the Quest flavors? I'm doing Premier ready made shakes and the clear ones too. So far the flavors are okay. Nothing great- just okay. I really like Isopure- 0 carbs, 100 calories and 25g of protein per scoop and then you can flavor it with Mio, SF pudding, PB2, etc.... I have the flavorless and it mixes well with hot and cold liquids. A friend of mine even put it into her refried Beans and cheese post op and said it mixed well. I think in the long run it will be my go to non-ready made. I have a big sampler pack of nectar Syntrax that I'm going to start trying tomorrow. 75% down with day1😀

38 minutes ago, HopefullXOXOXO said:

I see my doctor tomorrow for final visit before surgery to be done 5/3/18. Also start pre op diet tomorrow.

I have worked SO hard on getting this done for 2 1/2 years. Now that it's close, I'm a little scared. I'm 65 years old now (63 when I started the journey). If I were younger, even 50's, I doubt I'd be scared at all. It's really my age and basic condition that scares me. Plus, I know they found some problems with the upper GI test. The blood tests showed I have H pylori which they contacted me about last week and put me on several medications I have to take for 14 days. I stop taking them 5 days before surgery. I don't know how other blood tests came out. My biggest concern is that I have a rare disease (Fibromuscular Dysplasia) that has created a 50%-70% blockage in my carotid arteries and can NOT have my head leaned back for an extended period of time. I've told the anesthesia department about this and was told to be sure to tell the anesthesiologist the day of surgery. I really wish I could meet with the anesthesiologist to discuss this now. I know they intubate us for surgery and I THINK that means my head will have to be leaned far back throughout the surgery. If this is true, I can't have the surgery. The last time I saw the surgeon, he told me to speak to anesthesiology about it, it's not his department/job. I've been very pushy advocating for myself on this and am frustrated I'm not getting a clear answer. I know I need to do this but certainly don't want to have a brain injury as a result of the surgery.

I was also told during my upper GI that I have duodenitis. I can't really remember exact details because I had just woken up. But they did tell me they didn't want me taking medication for it as the surgeon would take care of everything and prescribe something after surgery if it's needed still. But definitely scary on the second part for you, I'd be trying to speak with the anesthesiologist. I know during my upper GI I told him I had scoliosis so I can't lay straight back and they let me sit in a 45 degree angle during that.

26 minutes ago, melmssc said:

How are you liking the Quest flavors? I'm doing Premier ready made shakes and the clear ones too. So far the flavors are okay. Nothing great- just okay. I really like Isopure- 0 carbs, 100 calories and 25g of Protein per scoop and then you can flavor it with Mio, SF pudding, PB2, etc.... I have the flavorless and it mixes well with hot and cold liquids. A friend of mine even put it into her refried Beans and cheese post op and said it mixed well. I think in the long run it will be my go to non-ready made. I have a big sampler pack of nectar Syntrax that I'm going to start trying tomorrow. 75% down with day1😀

I definitely like the Quest more than the whey powder I have at home, it's more of a light flavor. I also mixed it with Water instead of almost milk, last time that combination gave me horrible bloating and stomach pain. But so far so good. Thanks for the heads up about Isopure, I may be open to it post-op. I'm curious about the Syntrax as well, will definitely consider trying it.