Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would like to think if this company had a lawsuit that they lost regarding false anything that the legal system, FDA or the lawyers who sued them would make sure the label was changed. The package statement says "GEN2 has the equivalent of 30g Protein per 1 Tbsp Serving". I showed the package to my doctor and she was fine with it. There are different types of protein with different calorie values. It comes down to if it works use it, if you don't feel comfortable find a better product.

4 minutes ago, Carrie V said:

I would like to think if this company had a lawsuit that they lost regarding false anything that the legal system, FDA or the lawyers who sued them would make sure the label was changed. The package statement says "GEN2 has the equivalent of 30g Protein per 1 Tbsp Serving". I showed the package to my doctor and she was fine with it. There are different types of Protein with different calorie values. It comes down to if it works use it, if you don't feel comfortable find a better product.

The problem is the FDA doesn't have the authority to test the claims of supplements. They only regulate if the products are adulterated or misbranded.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/DietarySupplements/

If the FDA was in the business of regulating claims then we wouldn't see all of these "miracle weight loss cures" or "anti aging pills", right?

Pure protein has 4 calories per gram. It's not possible for "different types of protein" to have less than that.

http://www.dining.ucla.edu/housing_site/dining/SNAC_pdf/CaloriesCount.pdf

Here are the details of the lawsuit, it was just finalized December of last year

https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20171213e89

Some key points of the lawsuit:

• SI03, Inc the makers of Syntrax sued MuscleGen the makers of GENEPRO over the claims that
    • "MuscleGen markets its GenePro product by falsely claiming it contains 30 grams of protein in a roughly 11.15 gram (1 tablespoon) serving when GenePro has 10 or fewer grams of protein per 11.15 gram (1 tablespoon) serving"
    • "GenePro's marketing and packaging statement that it contains "medical grade" protein is incorrect, false, and misleading, as no industry or FDA standard for "medical grade" protein exists."
  • Genepro did not even bother to respond to this lawsuit or show up in court, a default judgement was entered in favor the makers of Syntrax, against Genepro

Since Genepro didn't even respond to this lawsuit, is it surprising they haven't taken down the claims the court deemed misleading & false? This is a civil lawsuit, the government plays no role in enforcing the judgement.

1 hour ago, Carrie V said:

I would like to think if this company had a lawsuit that they lost regarding false anything that the legal system, FDA or the lawyers who sued them would make sure the label was changed. The package statement says "GEN2 has the equivalent of 30g Protein per 1 Tbsp Serving". I showed the package to my doctor and she was fine with it. There are different types of Protein with different calorie values. It comes down to if it works use it, if you don't feel comfortable find a better product.

I don't know your background with research and science. But if you read the label it has two ** next to that. And it says according to this study. If you pull up that study (which is the basis of their ridiculous claims) on genepros website. You'll first see the study was paid for by... Genepro! (shocker). And then if you read the actual study (which is posted on their website) you'll see that it's extremely poorly designed, and I do not believe comes even remotely close to supporting their claim.

So if your surgeon said it's fine odds are he just blew you off not wanting to waste his time reading the label on a Protein Shake (and I can't blame them because what kind of surgeon is going to spend their times reading their patients labels and studys)

But all you have to do is read it and say hmm does this look like a well designed study? Now I'm no researcher or statistician myself, but I am comfortable attempting to read a study and look for relationships and make inferences about probability. And this does not look like it proves their point. And I don't think anybody should be defending GENEPRO unless they

A) read the label, which clearly states what they're basing their claims on

B ) read the study

It's pretty clear to me that it's not worth it. This isn't to suggest Genepro is bad, because the odds are as a protein supplement itself it's likely the same as any other. The problem I see is that its very likely that it's not supplying remotely close to the amount of Protein that you think it is. If you're dead set on taking genepro you should probably be taking close to double doses to be getting close to as much is listed on the label.

Edited by Mhy12784

Thank you maybe people will quit being so critical of GENEPRO. I am a long time user and I love it.

Thank you maybe people will quit being so critical of GENEPRO. I am a long time user and I love it.

Wait what part would make people less critical? The bad science? Them not showing up to their own lawsuit? The sticker they put on their label to change their years old claim (which seems to me to be admitting to it having been misleading)?

What makes you so happy with it? I hope you aren’t counting the full grams they’ve been advertising. You know there is no blood test to make sure you’re getting enough Protein (blood protein checks for kidney function) only muscle loss.

Jess9305,

this has been going on forever. Please don't think I was trying to get an argument going. I don't care to hash this over anymore. I will continue to use it in my daily LATTE, if you don't want to use it Fine. Most of the new WLS peeps will ask their team about it. Mine had no problem with it. So far I have been ok with using it. If was going to go down hill wouldn't yu think 5 years would show somethimg? I am done. I won't be baited into this again. Thank you very much. To all of you NEWBY'S please check with your team before using it just in case you wold need to go somewhere else to get enough Protein in. Have a great rest of your weekend.

5 minutes ago, shedo82773 said:

Jess9305,

this has been going on forever. Please don't think I was trying to get an argument going. I don't care to hash this over anymore. I will continue to use it in my daily LATTE, if you don't want to use it Fine. Most of the new WLS peeps will ask their team about it. Mine had no problem with it. So far I have been ok with using it. If was going to go down hill wouldn't yu think 5 years would show somethimg? I am done. I won't be baited into this again. Thank you very much. To all of you NEWBY'S please check with your team before using it just in case you wold need to go somewhere else to get enough Protein in. Have a great rest of your weekend.

Considering GENEPRO just lost a lawsuit last December in which they were found to be "falsely claiming it contains 30 grams of Protein in a roughly 11.15 gram (1 tablespoon) serving when GenePro has 10 or fewer grams of protein", this isn't exactly old news.

If was going to go down hill wouldn't yu think 5 years would show somethimg?

No, that's not how protein deficiencies work

http://time.com/4374959/protein-health-benefits-nutrition/

"Like that termite-ridden house that looks fine on the outside, your protein-deprived body will have grown weaker over a period of many years. Exactly how will depend on the person and the type of adversity he or she faces. “It’s just not as simple as watching out for a few specific warning signs,” Paddon-Jones says.

Franch agrees. “It’s not going to be possible to self-diagnose a protein deficiency,” he says."

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

Considering GENEPRO just lost a lawsuit last December in which they were found to be "falsely claiming it contains 30 grams of Protein in a roughly 11.15 gram (1 tablespoon) serving when GENEPRO has 10 or fewer grams of protein", this isn't exactly old news.

If was going to go down hill wouldn't yu think 5 years would show somethimg?

No, that's not how Protein deficiencies work

http://time.com/4374959/protein-health-benefits-nutrition/

"Like that termite-ridden house that looks fine on the outside, your protein-deprived body will have grown weaker over a period of many years. Exactly how will depend on the person and the type of adversity he or she faces. “It’s just not as simple as watching out for a few specific warning signs,” Paddon-Jones says.

Franch agrees. “It’s not going to be possible to self-diagnose a protein deficiency,” he says."

Interesting read, thanks

Jess9305,

I’m seriously curious what part of that you think lays it all to rest?

Newbies—I think the above posts will give you a great starting point, but definitely do your own research including speaking to your team.

Nearly all Protein Shakes and supplements are not regulated by the FDA which means they don’t always put everything they need to on their food labels. Men’s health did a study about 10 years ago of muscle milk and found that it contains a lot of harmful metals none of which are listed on the label. If you did this study on every single one of them you will find something you don’t like. That being said there are still ones that are beneficial and I will continue drinking them.