Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get used to 'leaving food behind' ?

I'm set to be banded on Nov 19 and I'm nervous about the 'mental' changes that I will have to make.

I'm wondering how one gets to the point where they don't NEED to eat everything on their plate - in other words, I often find that I am no longer hungry, but keep eating because it tastes good or because I don't want to 'leave' any.

I'm worried that I won't be able to 'stop' myself .. and I'm hoping that THAT is where the band will step in and make me feel "SO FULL" that I won't want to finish.

Does putting less food on your plate help? How do you get past the "memory" that even though there is a "serving" on your plate - there is still "more" on the stove ?

I think for me at least the band has given me that freedom of not wanting food constantly! After a while I started to realize that I just didn't need as much food!

I love going to restaurants now because I can eat what I want but not as much! I don't pig out anymore right before I "diet" again because I'm not deprived of anything.

Don't get me wrong because I can still eat all "wrong" foods now and not lost and even gain sometimes! But this is such a new lifestyle for me I love it!

If I order in a restaurant I share a plate or eat an appetizer. If I fix a plate at home I use a small dinner plate. I think for me eating slow; chewing well; and small portions. If I overeat it just hurts! And I burp ALOT! Not very attractive!

Good luck! I understand this doesn't work for everyone but for me it was the missing tool I needed! For it to work I must do my job! But I would do it over and over again if I had to!

I understand completely! I cook a lot less food for meals which is a big help. Every meal used to be such a production. I now buy much less food, cook less food (and my husband LOVES to eat-but if it isn't there he doesn't eat it and that helps him too) and like SimpleMe I too use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate for all of my meals-which might seem kinda silly, but hey it works for me. By cooking less I don't have that extra food calling my name. It is still a struggle some days, so believe me I can so apperciate how you feel! Good luck and hang in there!

YOu will likely PB if you overeat. Second, you can eat around the band so be careful. An example of that would be at 15 minutes you are stuffed and you wait an additional 15 minutes to finish your plate. That is a really bad habit to get into so be careful. Throw your food away or take it as leftovers. You can do this.

Hi, Smarty! You know what I love about this whole deal? I love going out to eat and leaving food on my plate like a "normal" person. I feel absolutely giddy when I can leave food there. I actually do it on purpose. It's like saying to whoever is looking, "Hey, this stuff does NOT control me. I'm controlling it." It works even better when I'm feeling weak. If I can manage to leave something there, I feel stronger.

Food issues are tough for us all. I love reading everyone's entries in here. I've gotten so many of my favorite tools from my fellow travelers. I do especially appreciate the one about using the smaller plate. And not stretching your mealtime out to the point where you can work around your band. Good info, all.

Blessings!

I was banded on 9/20/07 going today for my second fill and I all the same thoughts were running through my head before the surgery. Trust it, you'll be fine...for me I was so scared it would be a failure but I love going out to eat now! 2meals for the price of one!!! Its great to ask for a doggy bag, I look forward to it!! :whoo:

Great thread, I've been wondering the same thing myself. I am a world class grazer because I'm so afraid of being hungry. I read a thread earlier where someone was worrying about being hungry and when she was going to eat.. right after she just finished eating. That is me to a T!

I eat when I'm not hungry because I don't want to GET hungry while I'm going to be someplace I can't eat. I already eat when I'm not hungry so how am I going to deal with head hunger? Eating is my comfort, so is cooking. I like to putter in the kitchen, make stuff my kids and husband love. Does that stop with the band? How do I change it to fit the band lifestyle?

I'm worried about the liquid/mushie diet and trying to keep my family fed at the same time. My husband is pretty easy-going most of the time, but I can see him getting pretty cranky at all the changes coming with this band. I've talked to him about most of them, but some things he just doesn't want to to know or whatever. Its too complicated he says.

I 'm the one everyone comes to for comfort. I'm the one who does all the organizing, planning and cooking for any and everything we do. I'm wondering what I'm going to feed my family.

I'm sorry, this is a rambling post, but I am so worried. This band is for me, but I'm feeling guilty at forcing my family to come along with me. :thinkDoes this make any sense? Anyone else feel this way? What did you do? or what are you planning to do? :help:

I'm set to be banded on Nov 19 and I'm nervous about the 'mental' changes that I will have to make.

I'm wondering how one gets to the point where they don't NEED to eat everything on their plate - in other words, I often find that I am no longer hungry, but keep eating because it tastes good or because I don't want to 'leave' any.

I'm worried that I won't be able to 'stop' myself .. and I'm hoping that THAT is where the band will step in and make me feel "SO FULL" that I won't want to finish.

Does putting less food on your plate help? How do you get past the "memory" that even though there is a "serving" on your plate - there is still "more" on the stove ?

Ms Smarty Pants--

I can give you some tips, but I can also honestly tell you it will only take a few times (or maybe one time) of you overeating and you won't do it again! I promise you that!

I now use small children size plates. Obvisouly I have to put less on them. When I am out to eat I ask for a box as soon as my meal comes or before, you'll get used to the stares (trust me) and box up half or more depending on where I am at! I don't want all that food on my plate.

This is a readjustment in your thinking, but actually not a readjustment in what is normal. As overweight people we ate well more than what our body needed, it wasn't normal! So if for one second you think you are being deprived, remember what you used to eat was just NOT normal!

My doctor suggested to use a small childrens plate,as mentioned above, and to use a baby fork and spoon, when at home, to help me remember to take smaller bites. Good luck!

I use a baby spoon too ..its actually kinda fun. Even my kids do it now, its sort of like a novelty thing, I guess.

I am still on liquids ..I get to start mushies next Monday which is sooner than my original paperwork said, but my nutritionist corrected me last week when I went for a check up. I am happy to be able to add some different foods to my menu, however I wasn't terribly unhappy on full liquids because I love Tomato Soup and split pea Soup (blended and strained) and could eat them every day (and did). Anyway ..I find that I enjoy cooking just as much, even if I cannot eat it. I thought that was going to be a problem but it hasn't been, in fact I enlist the kids to help me and taste things for seasoning, since I can't. I find that I am cooking smaller portions and better food ..I guess subconsciously I want to be sure my family members NEVER have to make the decision to need weight loss surgery.

-Libby :peace:

I eat of smaller plates too and have been doing that since before banding, the difference is now I'm not hungry again 2 hours later.

But I have to really watch the stretching out the meal so you can fit more in over a longer time period thing. Its a very bad habit of mine. Because even an entree plate is too much for me many nights, but I just keep picking till its finished even if it takes an hour.

At home I only eat on salad plates. Changing plate sizes helps a whole lot. I also went out and purchased a bunch of sets of good children's sterling silverware (some Paul Revere Oneida) (this is childrens' silverware, not to be confused with baby silverware. In the baby silverware the spoon and fork sizes are much bigger than the childrens') which made a huge difference in how much I put in my mouth. Now I am kindof ill at ease handling a regular sized fork or spoon. As a single person living alone, I also cook on SMALL pots and pans. I got one of those single egg fry-pans from Bed Bath & Beyond which is about 4.5" in diameter, (you can also get the baby spatula that goes with it) great for cooking teenie tiny amounts.....or one egg.

I just wanted to thank all of you for replying.

Those who are in the same boat as me and those who have navigated these waters for sharing their experience !!

I use the smaller plates/bowls at home also. If I am going out, I'm with Mhurie, I like being able to leave something on my plate. I love talking home a doggie bag.