Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Savory Options to get protein in

Hello, i am posting for my wife who had her gastric sleeve done on 2/28 and is just staring the pureed foods diet. the question we have is are there any alternatives to the "sweet" Protein Shakes and supplements. we tried Syntrax Nectar, all of the Isopure rtd's, and a few of the body fortress brands prior to her surgery, after her procedure we re tried them and she is having issues with the artificial sweetner taste to all of them. i had been putting isopure unflavored Protein Powder in chicken broth for her but she has recently been experiencing increased acid after drinking it even with taking the omeprazole her surgeon proscribed. short story long, any tips or tricks for savory Protein options would be greatly appreciated

This recipe is on this site in many places. It was a gamechanger for a lot of us. You can eat it during the pureed food diet. Enjoy!

ngredients

• 8 oz of Ricotta cheese
    • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
    • 1 large Egg, beaten
    • 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
    • salt & pepper to taste
    • 1/2 cup Marinara Sauce
    • 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Instructions

1. Mix ricotta cheese, parmesan, beaten egg, seasonings together and place in a oven proof dish.
    2. Pour marinara on top and top with mozzarella cheese.
    3. Bake it in the oven @ 450 for about 20-25 minutes (best) or nuke it till hot and bubbly.
    4. I usually made it first in the oven and heated the leftovers in the microwave.

Egg Whites or Egg Beaters are a good source in general when you are at the puree stage for something not sweet. You should also look into Bone Broth.

Refried Beans, hummus (check calories or make your own), Laughing Cow cheese, pureed homemade Soups like lentil or white bean.

Honestly this stage passes quickly and until then sometimes we have to just buck up and drink the medicine even if we don’t like it. That’s assuming she just hates it and it doesn’t make her puke.

There are unflavored powders as well (quest makes one) that you can add to things.

Everyone has great ideas but often they don’t contain enough Protein to be effective in the early days,

There’s one brand that makes a chicken broth flavor... can’t remember which brand maybe someone knows!

Unjury! That’s it!

Celebrate has a chicken Soup one, too. I bought it (well, actually bought the Tomato Soup one, hated that, and exchanged it for a chicken soup one) but haven't tried it yet, so I can't say whether it's any good.