Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Did/Do You Eat Post Bypass at Various Milestones

Hi guys! I did a search here, but think my search string sucked, cuz it didn't pull anything up. So would you mind participating please?

How much did/do you eat post RNY at these milestones. I'm looking for total meal weight or volume broken out by protein/veg/starch or fruit if you have that information. I think it could help many of us surgery newbs so we don't feel like we're forkin' our surgery by eating too much! TIA!!!! ((hugs))

2-3 weeks: How much volume or food weights?

6-8 weeks: How much volume or food weights?

3 months: How much volume or food weights?

6 months: How much volume or food weights?

1 year: How much volume or food weights?

2 years: How much volume or food weights?

3+ years: How much volume or food weights?

I really appreciate if as many people as possible will answer so we can see a range! I will answer mine below in a separate post! Thanks!!!!

Ok, I'm 3 weeks + 2 days out. Here's what I eat in round figures.

2-3 weeks: How much volume or food weights?

2oz Protein by weight + 1oz veg by weight + 1oz low cal sauce by weight = about 3oz food for total meal by weight;

OR

1/2c protein + 1/4c veg + 1oz low cal sauce = about 3/4c food for total meal by volume.

6-8 weeks: How much volume or food weights? n/a

3 months: How much volume or food weights? n/a

6 months: How much volume or food weights? n/a

1 year: How much volume or food weights? n/a

2 years: How much volume or food weights? n/a

3+ years: How much volume or food weights? n/a

This doc lays out a pretty good progression timeline of what to expect, and is consistent with my experience. Variations will occur due to the amount of initial inflammation one may have, and in how big the stomach is initially (which can vary by one's height with the VSG and by surgeon's technique and preferences with any procedure.) Amount will also vary markedly by the composition of the food or meal, with one being able to consume more foods that are softer/slippier (so-called ":sliders") and less of firmer and more fibrous meats or vegetables.

Thanks Rick! I'm a go look at this one. Love Dr. Weiner and remember seeing this vid but it's months ago and I forgot all about it! Will check it out now! :D

@RickM So he's says at 1 month-it's 3 bites!!! Holy crap! I can easily eat 1/4-3/4 cup of food--2oz of dense Protein + 1/4c (1oz) soft cooked veg!

Do you think something is wrong with my surgery? I'm only 3weeks + 2 days! But there is no satiety /resistance at 3 bites!

Edited by FluffyChix

I don't think so, as the variations can be particularly pronounced early on with differences in initial healing and inflammation. My wife could barely down her nominal stomach size of about 4 oz (typical DS stomach) in Protein Drink for quite a while, whereas I could drink almost any amount of liquid (sip, sip, sip, of course) those first few weeks, both within the normally expected spectrum of results. Unless things are totally not moving, it's hard to tell how well the surgery was performed by the first few weeks experience, as there is quite a bit of variation in what is "normal",

1 minute ago, RickM said:

I don't think so, as the variations can be particularly pronounced early on with differences in initial healing and inflammation. My wife could barely down her nominal stomach size of about 4 oz (typical DS stomach) in Protein Drink for quite a while, whereas I could drink almost any amount of liquid (sip, sip, sip, of course) those first few weeks, both within the normally expected spectrum of results. Unless things are totally not moving, it's hard to tell how well the surgery was performed by the first few weeks experience, as there is quite a bit of variation in what is "normal",

Ok, yes. That makes sense of course! We hear so much on here about people struggling with their fluids, Protein intake, eating pureeds and soft solids. So I kinda feel like a freak cuz I don't feel any of those issues. Then paranoia sets in--is there something wrong. Will I be the only one for which a bypass didn't work? LOL. Stupid stuff.

Like you, I had no problem sip, sip, sipping from the get go--even in the recovery room, I could do ice chips very easily.

And like Dr. Weiner says, focus on quality over quantity. That's what I've been trying to do pre-op as well as post op. Just cuz I "can" eat 3/4c, doesn't mean I "should". LOL. So I've been trying to keep it between 1/4-1/2c max. And trying to focus only on Proteins and veg. And my cals just naturally come in low by doing this...which is great!

But that's why I was hoping to hear from a lot of peeps about their quantities--so we can have a broad picture of "normal". I suspect as you say--it's a very wide range!

I also notice that you mention sauce in your meals, which some will refer to as being "meat lube" as in it helps you eat more by making it moister and more slippery. This is neither good nor bad - it just is. While it can be an aid to overeating over time (or eating around your pouch), it can also be very helpful in getting you to eat more normally, aiding in nutrition and recovery. Like many things, a double edged sword; use it wisely, but consider it if you have concerns about eating too much as time moves on.

14 minutes ago, RickM said:

I also notice that you mention sauce in your meals, which some will refer to as being "meat lube" as in it helps you eat more by making it moister and more slippery. This is neither good nor bad - it just is. While it can be an aid to overeating over time (or eating around your pouch), it can also be very helpful in getting you to eat more normally, aiding in nutrition and recovery. Like many things, a double edged sword; use it wisely, but consider it if you have concerns about eating too much as time moves on.

Yes! Absolutely! I've been using it precisely as meat lube! LOL, cuz I don't really want to eat chilis/soups and wet foods. Prefer eating shredded or finely diced chicken breast/tender, or ground turkey or chicken, or foil baked or grilled fish. So I've been trying to make them easy to get outta my pouch.

So I will quit that today and see if there is a difference!

Thanks for walking through this with me!

My second brekky just now--ate it like a champ in 25 minutes. Feel great! Like it was the perfect amount. Not really "full," definitely "not hungry" any longer, it's more of a I'm just "done." This will hold me at least 3 hours, maybe 4 hours:

Egg Spinach Turkey Scramble

Serving Size: 3.6oz by weight; 1/2c by volume

1 large egg

1oz frozen chopped spinach

7g turkey sausage crumbles

1/2tsp hot sauce

granulated garlic

Kosher salt

No fats, sauteed spinach and turkey in Water until tender to keep cals down. Added beaten egg and cooked until soft scrambled.

Nutritionals: 92cals; 8g prot; 6g fat; 2g carbs; <1g fiber; 2g net carbs; 0g sugars

Edited by FluffyChix

I did the usual progression of liquids, full fluids, purees and soft food for the first 4 wks, but otherwise started eating fairly normally by a month out (60-80g Protein, low carb etc). My surgeon gave me a fairly "generous" pouch that allows me to eat about a cup of food comfortably. At first I was worried as I was used to being way more restricted when a had my Lap-Band; however, the weight is coming off (I'm 6 mos out and I only have another 15lbs or so to make my goal) and I don't have that ripped off feeling after meals that I did with the Lap-Band.

6 minutes ago, knormlaver said:

I did the usual progression of liquids, full fluids, purees and soft food for the first 4 wks, but otherwise started eating fairly normally by a month out (60-80g Protein, low carb etc). My surgeon gave me a fairly "generous" pouch that allows me to eat about a cup of food comfortably. At first I was worried as I was used to being way more restricted when a had my Lap-Band; however, the weight is coming off (I'm 6 mos out and I only have another 15lbs or so to make my goal) and I don't have that ripped off feeling after meals that I did with the Lap-Band.

Wow! So they do different size pouches?

How soon were you comfortably eating a cup of food?

Congrats on being so close to goal after only 6 months!!!! That's bloody fantastic!!!!

20 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Wow! So they do different size pouches?

How soon were you comfortably eating a cup of food?

Congrats on being so close to goal after only 6 months!!!! That's bloody fantastic!!!!

Thanks! I think the pouch size can depend on the surgeon's preference. Also, I was originally considering a sleeve and one thing he mentioned is that you're generally able to eat more with the mini-gastric bypass in comparison. Honestly, I could do almost a cup of solid food at about a month out which initially had me worried, but my capacity has stayed fairly constant. Definitely depends on what I eat. Solid Proteins certainly fill me up faster, but I'm also pleased that I can eat a good size portion of salad (one of the many things I could not tolerate at all during my 10 years with the Lap-band). My diet is much more balanced and sustainable this time around. Like most people, diets do not work for me. What I've got going on now feels like a reasonable, realistic, long term way of eating.

Funny how I have forgotten how much I was able to eat in the beginning but 6 month after my bypass I am still only able to eat about half a cup and many, many times I am able to eat only a spoonful or two and vomiting is quite common. I was severely dehydrated according to my doctor during the first 3-4 months. I am able to drink OK now and I am deeply grateful about that, but I am getting worried that I will continue my weight loss even when I don't want to anymore simply because I am unable to eat enough.

Hi all

Ive posted about the same question a few times... thought the same as you-- there must be something wrong lol.

I am eating 4 oz of Protein like ground turkey with a little Tomato sauce and laughing cow cheese wedge. It is filling but I eat it no problem at all. I do however feel if I eat sauteed chicken its more like 3 ozs and starting to feel full around 3 oz. OR like a Jello pudding (SF of course) feels different. Water takes forever but Protein Shakes go down no problem. Time wise is fast-- too fast?? dunno. It really only takes maybe 15 min to eat at most

My NUT told me to hold off for as long as possible on veggies or any carbs (blatant carbs like quinoa or breads etc). I havent since surgery. Im sure if I started to eat veggies or carbs with my Proteins Id maybe feel different? Dunno.... only eating proteins right now really.

Seems to be working I guess?? However I wonder too on amounts or that full feeling being missing like everyone else gets who says theyre full after much less food etc.

Confusing.... I guess I have a lot of follow up questions for my dr and nut on the 27th of this month...that is a bit over 3 months after surgery.

Thanks for asking this question!

1 minute ago, BostonWLKC said:

Hi all

Ive posted about the same question a few times... thought the same as you-- there must be something wrong lol.

I am eating 4 oz of Protein like ground turkey with a little Tomato sauce and laughing cow cheese wedge. It is filling but I eat it no problem at all. I do however feel if I eat sauteed chicken its more like 3 ozs and starting to feel full around 3 oz. OR like a Jello pudding (SF of course) feels different. Water takes forever but Protein Shakes go down no problem. Time wise is fast-- too fast?? dunno. It really only takes maybe 15 min to eat at most

My NUT told me to hold off for as long as possible on veggies or any carbs (blatant carbs like quinoa or breads etc). I havent since surgery. Im sure if I started to eat veggies or carbs with my Proteins Id maybe feel different? Dunno.... only eating Proteins right now really.

Seems to be working I guess?? However I wonder too on amounts or that full feeling being missing like everyone else gets who says theyre full after much less food etc.

Confusing.... I guess I have a lot of follow up questions for my dr and nut on the 27th of this month...that is a bit over 3 months after surgery.

Thanks for asking this question!

Thanks for replying. I swear I did a search. But somehow, I can never make that damn thing work for me here! :(

Did you nut tell you why to hold off on vegs for as long as possible? I know I'm holding off on carbs and forgoing fruit for the foreseeable future?

No sorry, just meant that Ive written about it before. Your post is more direct and to the point :)

yea she told me the longer I hold off on carbs the more weight Id lose now as according to her once you eat them you cant go back-- for whatever that means? I assume craving etc. She told me to keep with Proteins as my main eating -- maybe Im remembering wrong and veggies were ok?? Sigh, so much has changed in 3 months lol. Just trying to keep up. Makes sense to hold off on carbs and forgo fruits so maybe that was it?! Maybe she will yell at me in a couple of weeks at appt lol

Youre doing amazing btw!